Front brake makes noise when not engaged...

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
I recently had my front brake pads replaced, and this morning while I was pushing my bike (it was off), I heard what sounded like the pads rubbing against the rotor.

I don't recall hearing this before. Is there something wrong, or will this stop? I've put less than 150 miles on the bike.

Thanks in advance.

--Juggler

Depending on the pad material....... This is normal while the pads seat themselves to your rotors. Did you brush the rotors prior to installing the new front disc pads? This helps remove glazing especially when changing material types.

Depending on the pad material....... This is normal while the pads seat themselves to your rotors. Did you brush the rotors prior to installing the new front disc pads? This helps remove glazing especially when changing material types.
I basted them, but I didn't brush them. Sorry, lame joke.

I didn't install them, the dealer did. I went from stock to EBC HH. How was I (or the dealer) supposed to brush them?

The dealer did tell me to go easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles or so to prevent glazing.

If the brakes are anything like car disc brakes then the pads do rub a little all the time. Since the pads are new they probally just a little louder than the old ones. Once they break in they will quite down. just my .02

my 03 has always made some kinda sound from scraping to flecking to ticking to squeaking to shrieking to whining. depends on their mood, the weather, the moon, the Gods, sunspots, wear, pads, who's in office....... I'm not really worried about it cuz tells me they are still attached to the wheel while I'm riding.
smile.gif

[yes, cuz is a word]

My 03' makes some rolling noise from the pads too. You can hear it when the engine is off. Don't think it is a problem though.
wink.gif

Thanks all! I get paranoid after I change something (what's that sound/smell/etc.).

The EBC HH brakes are noticeable when braking. It's not loud, just different. The EBC's grab too!

--Juggler

No biggie Juggler.  Once they're seated the noise will stop... (no pun intended
biggrin.gif
)

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083353203 -->

Back