why do you ride????

tourbus

Registered
well last night over a couple cool ones i broke out my picture collection from my past 17 or so years of riding street bikes and i'll tell ya there are hundreds of fantastic memories that lay in those pictures which made me ponder,why do i enjoy motorcyles so much?? First off i was introduced to them at a very young age, my dad had various kz this kz that but i'll never forget his suzuki gs1100L i was maybe 8-9 but i'll never forget riding on the back of that bike, it was kick ass. another defining event and maybe the biggest was back in 84 or 85 at the city swimming pool a local kid rode in on a new 900 ninja to pick-up his girlfriend and i thought a fighter jet had landed in front of me. from that day on i liked sportbikes. Now @ 32 years old i still day dream while i'm at work about where i'm going to ride this weekend, i smile to myself when i think of going riding with my dad and friends, its awsome to think of all the people i'v met over the years while out riding, iv got to explore some awsome country thanks to motorcycling. i often think what my life would of been like w/o cycles,on that note, hope to meet you guys on the road someday. Tyson

I can relate to what you are saying. Although my motorcycling history has never been influenced by anyone in my family. I started riding in the 2nd grade on dirt, went to the street when I was 14 with my permit. My most memorable bike was my 85 Honda Interceptor 500. I was in high school in Rialto California, and I owned the world. I still day dream too. I have also met some really outstanding folks, however, I must add that it was not until I bought my busa and found this site did the hobby progress to a lifestyle.
My wife has since decided she wanted to be in control of the ride, and she has her own bike now. We have a trailer, and will be traveling the country to meet other members of this fine forum.
beerchug.gif

Hi, my name is Brenda and I'm addicted to adrenalin.

I started riding my brother's dirt bikes when I was 12. We had wheat fields and oil pump stations for our playground. Lot of hills, some huge dirt piles for jumping. It was thrilling. I'd had horses my whole young life, and I get the same rush off sprinting a horse. It's just the power.

I bought a cruiser when I was 19, had it for a year.. then didn't have the finances to keep the habit going.

Now, some 20 years later. I've earned my Busa, and there is no better adrenalin pumping machine available.
thumb_up.gif

Mine started out early as well...My first ride was a honda trail 90...then When my brother got stationed in Germany he decided to sell his 1982 Kawasaki 750LTD. I wanted to buy it but he wouldn't sell it to me....so My dad bought it from him and then sold it to me. I rode that to school when I was a junior in HS. The only guy on a bike. Girls that wouldn't even P*** on me if I we on fire were asking for rides. Thats when I first noticed how ppl flocked to motorcycles. I sold my Kawi when I left for bootcamp.....Through out my 4 years in the Corps...I rode a couple of my buddies bikes...when I got out I got a Harley...loved that bike...Then my wife started riding she got a busa...well I started riding her busa more than the Harley so I traded the HD for the Busa......I guess the main reason I ride is to get away from the world....When I put on my helmet its like I'm in my own world......Thats why I ride.....Sorry for the essay!

Hello Brenda, thank you for having me in the group, I too am an adrenalin addict. Please help me....
firedevil.gif

For me my wife not only approves of her but actually encourages me to ride her as often as possible. To top it off, wife says she actually prefers me to ride her multiple times a week and loves to be invited to join in on the wekend. Life is good.

beerchug.gif

Riding for me is my therapy.I just love to hit the open road, not knowing where i'm going.
Just love to be on that seat givin er ****!
beerchug.gif

Never had the privileged young life some of you did, no dirtbikes in my youth, save one.  My Dad has his old (mid-late 70s) Suzuki 400 two stroke dirt bike.  The old Montana hill climber. the thing won't keep running unless you regulate the throttle, and the kick start kicks back. Hah!  I've even got the scars up the side of my shin to prove it! Helluva thing to learn on.  But I still have a blast taking it out.  

Anyway!  18 years old I saw a couple videos of the Hayabusa, in particular the 0-220 on the speedometer, you all know the one.  Decided right then I'd get one of these mean machines.  I like speed, what can I say?  Nothing better than being pulled back by fearsome acceleration!  

Right, so I saved and saved my money.  I got lucky and had pretty much a full ride scholarship for college, that allowed me to get my first bike.  Of course after lots of research and a bit of soul searching, including lurking here for a while I decided I couldn't handle or afford the Busa as a first bike.  I finally got a 1997 GSX-R600 two months after I turned 19.  

Had a few very scary moments, some I still can't believe I lived through!  But after 15,000 miles of wailing on that little guy I moved up.  Actually I think it may have been to soon, but I'm not going to complain now.  I've got my dream bike in the garage just waiting for spring!  I turn 24 on Saturday and graduate in May, then I get to start riding in earnest!  

In the future I plan on buying my own dirt bike, one that has an electric start and doesn't die when you let off the throttle!  And probably a GSX-R750 to go play in the twisties without the chance of wrecking the Busa.

Oh right, the actual topic... Why do I ride?  Cheap therapy.  
face7.gif

WEll like some of you I ddid not have the opportunity at a young age to ride a motorcycle, I was lucky to get a bicycle. I used to sneak down the block to a neighbors hosue and ride his 400CC Honda cafe racer up and down the alley in 1st gear. he would let us change gears but he spent time and taught us how to ride.

Back on subject the reason I ride??? the freedom and serenity of being under the helmet all by yourself with no cares in the world. I introduced my wife to this wonderful experience and now she rides her own bike, and I just may trade her 600 in on the new 08 Busa for our 14th anniversary in June.

Motorcycling has brought me here to the Org and I have met some of the most gracious and wondeful people on the planet, and things like that are why I ride.

No seat belt law
rofl.gif

Honestly, I've always had a fascination with things that go fast since I was 5 yrs old. My dad brought me to your local race track then for my first car race, stuck like glue. Anything with two or four wheels that goes fast and makes noise,I'm there.  Now a days it's one of the most easily accessible and affordable forms of freedom for me, or should I say - ways to distort the laws of physics without getting in to much trouble.  I ride to stay young and the freedom, that and no seat belt law
rofl.gif

At my local track ready to push off, I'm still going 44+ years later.

laptop___ram_048.jpg

rofl.gif

Riding speaks to me in a way nothing else on earth does. I stopped riding for a short time after my son (first child) was born, because my wife was worried about the risk involved. Then I had a few hair raising moments in the Marine Corps when I found myself saying "If I get outta this, I am gonna get another bike!". Well, as soon as possible I got a motorcycle again, and now I will ride until they plant me!
beerchug.gif

remember as a kid on a bicycle making all the engine noises peddling down the the road,couldnt wait to get me firt ped. (yamaha fsie) my parents forbid me to have one, to late when it turned up all legal and above board, went on to various road and dirt bikes 27 years on and i own my dream bike (busa). mother still cringes at the thought of it, life is sweet
laugh.gif

No seat belt law
rofl.gif

Honestly, I've always had a fascination with things that go fast since I was 5 yrs old. My dad brought me to your local race track then for my first car race, stuck like glue. Anything with two or four wheels that goes fast and makes noise,I'm there. Now a days it's one of the most easily accessible and affordable forms of freedom for me, or should I say - ways to distort the laws of physics without getting in to much trouble. I ride to stay young and the freedom, that and no seat belt law
rofl.gif

At my local track ready to push off, I'm still going 44+ years later.
Mymaster

what does a guy have to do to get some seat time in one of those cars?

I think Hal has some time around these too
smile.gif
I would love to get some laps in

rofl.gif

Back