Why Dealers get bad rap

WarBlade

Registered
Well i took my bike in for a oil change....(i hate doing any kind of work)my bike a 06 bought brand new in 07 got 3700 miles. SO i drop the bike off to get the oil changed and a week later i get a call saying they are gonna change it(i wasnt in a hurry for it) but during the call they told me i needed my Throttle bodies Sync'd which is gonna cost me another 200 over the 80 dollar oil change. I told them not to mess with anything and do the oil change. I pick up the bike. the guys that did the work all left the shop and pretended to do something else so the lady at the front gave me the key and showed me to the bike and no mention of my throttle bodies. rode the bike home and runs just fine..... WHY DO DEALERS TRY TO RIPP THEIR CUSTOMERS OFF.... so im redirecting all my future money to else where and any one i can talk into going somewhere else

Synching the throttle bodies

a) should only cost a max of $85
b) only needs to be done every 7,500 miles
c) can be done quite easily in your own garage

Amazing what they'll try on you, though. I wouldn't even expect to pay more than $140 to have the valve clearances checked and that a LOT more involved than synching the throttle bodies.

Find another mechanic if at all possible.

--Wag--

Next time just bring it over here and we can do it for about 50 bucks. Depending on the oil you want.
beerchug.gif

What dealer did you go to?

What syching tool do you use? I had a set of carb sticks years ago....Mercury in them and adapters!!! Would like to get another set of synch tools!

I have never had a throttle body sync done and i got 26k miles.. It runs fine as far as I can tell. How do you know if you need it. and what does it do?

Dinged radiator fins
Stripped out bolts
Untightened bolts that fall out on the way home.
Bolts just lost in the shop somewhere
Creating another problem to cover up a different one.
Gaskets and seals needed to do certain jobs, they don't even keep in stock.
Losing/breaking parts and installing the wrong parts.

Those are just the ones I can remember.  I'll never take my bikes to dealers ever again.  I do almost everything myself, and what I can't do I'll take to a speed shop that has a good reputation.

Back