oil change on the 06

sweet tea man

Registered
how do i change the oil in my busa? Can I do it without stands? Ive never changed oil in a sport bike. someone help me out and tell me where to start. thanks guys.

sorry for the rookie question.....again:rofl:

Just pull the drain plug and drain the old stuff out and fill-er back up with fresh stuff! Only hazard is, do not over tighten the drain plug or you'll strip the threads in your aluminum pan. Then you are screwed!

If you want to change the filter you'll have to remove the side plastic. A Suzuki filter wrench will be a great asset for filter removal.

It's so easy a CaveMan could do it :thumbsup:

16.5 lb ft on that oil drain plug, no more. Take the right side fairing off to get to the filter. It's kind of hard to get to, I use a small strap wrench that I padded up with a few layers of good 'ol duct tape. Takes a little patience, you can only move it about 1/4" at a time to start. After it loosens up a little you can spin it the rest of the way off with your hand.
After you get the plug out and the filter off, set on the bike with it upright for a few minutes to drain the last bit of old oil. Stands are best but not necessary.:thumbsup:

You don't have to remove the right side fairing piece. It can be loosened and propped out of the way to get to the filter. Mine's never been off and I have over 27,000 miles on it with all the usual oil changes.

thanks guys. this will be the third oil change on the bike.....the first since i've had it. bike just turned 3600 miles today:D

According to the records that the previous owner gave me, it was changed at 700, then 1600.

now, what kind/how much oil do i need and what filter?

"But do a search, there are "several" opinions on which oil to use."

Ain't that the truth!!!:rofl: All anyone can do is list their preferences based on their experience. And then there'll be the how often do I change it question and so on. Since breakin I've used K&N oil filters with the (very) handy nut on the end for easy installation and removal and full synthetic Amsoil. Better cooling, lubrication and it lasts longer. At 27,000+ I still don't add any oil between changes. I also use it in my 27 year old air cooled six cylinder CBX that turned over 91,000 the last tour I went on. I think that says a lot about Amsoil. Good luck with your choice!:thumbsup:

Do attempt to do this unless you have a torque wrench.

If you do this without a torque wrench, I WILL be reading your thread about a puddle under your drain plug.

i have heard about the drain plug. one of my brothers friends stripped his......nut he was also using a 1/2" rachet with adaptors b/c he couldnt find his 1/4":rofl:

my brother is out of town for the week so i'm on my own. hence the questions. haha. Not really stirring anything with asking what oil. mainly meant what weight. but after about an hour of going through threads(which i didnt want to do), I found what i needed.

my dealership here is back ordered on suzuki filters so i'm grabbing a fram and some mobile 1

Last edited:
having the right tools are they keys to a good (and much easier) task.

rather than debate what is the best oil to use, how about what oil to stay away from?? :whistle:

Use royal purple! or Amsoil My 2 favorites again just my opinion. and Scotts Oil filter.!

i myself when i pull the drain plug i let the oil drain through and coffee filter "plastic one" and i look to see what came out of my motor if there was anything. that is just a personal preferance that i like to do. On one of my bike i had the majority of my 2nd gear in there and thats when i started to do that. then once im done i throw the filter in the dishwasher and make coffee everymoring with it. how about that for a gear head.

On stand(s) the oil from the filter will drain between header tubes on the side stand you'll get oil on the tubes.

Oh, please don't use a Fram filter on that bike.

Use a Suzuki OEM filter. If you're desperate, use a K&N. NEVER use a Fram, though. They really really suck $%^$

--Wag--

as long as its going to last me 1500 miles its fine. I'm swapping to synthetic at 5000. and will be running Amsoil fluid and suzuki filter afterthat.

so basically, it needs to last a month-a month and a half depending on weather.

You should be able to pull that Fram filter off of there and replace it while only losing a half pint or so of oil. It would be worth it, in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

--Wag--

why all the people hating on fram filters? This is the first i've heard bad about them. my family has ran them on our bikes no problems in the past. what is going on?

Back