Oil change question

Speed King

Banned
Its about time for an oil change and the end of the riding season will be here soon, my question is:
If I change my oil now I am not going to want to change it again before I store it for the winter.
If I change my oil tomarrow and leave it in when I store my busa for the winter
will it hurt anything?

I usually always change my oil before I store it.

The best thing to do is change it now, before you store it, and again when you pull it out next year.
That being said, many people dont do that, Id change it now if its time, and then when you pull it out next spring.
But another oil change is cheap insurance for your bike. Hows that for no real answer or opinion? :laugh:

thanks fastfrog, I think your right, I will change it tomarrow, better safe than sorry, kinda like a condom, if ya dont wear one you might get a sexually transmitted disease.:laugh:

strange...i never thought of haveing fresh oil in for winter as if it matters....

strange...i never thought of haveing fresh oil in for winter as if it matters....

I have heard that if you store a bike with used oil, it has contaminants that if left in the crankcase over a period of time when storing your bike is not good.

Is this true?

thanks fastfrog, I think your right, I will change it tomarrow, better safe than sorry, kinda like a condom, if ya dont wear one you might get a sexually transmitted disease.:laugh:
:rofl:
I have heard that if you store a bike with used oil, it has contaminants that if left in the crankcase over a period of time when storing your bike is not good.

Is this true?

I heard something along those lines. Im sure some Busa-techs wil be here shortly to straighten it out. Just sucks watchin $50 worth of brand new lookin oil go into the drain pan:banghead:

I thought you were suppose to cotton ball it.. drain everything.. I guess that's why I live in Houston.. No real end of riding season.. Just dress warmer at night.. Ok.. maybe a month or two at worse....

I would drain the oil before I store it, just make sure to leave a dozen signs to remind you that there's no oil in the engine. Fresh oil sitting in the bottom of the pan is not my style. After storage just change the oil filter and fill her up.

I would drain the oil before I store it, just make sure to leave a dozen signs to remind you that there's no oil in the engine. Fresh oil sitting in the bottom of the pan is not my style. After storage just change the oil filter and fill her up.

think a JUG of cheap motor oil would be a small insurance policy.

12 dollars.... maybe

I would think if the motor was stored with absolutely no oil in it, over time the inards would have more chance of corroding, I'd be more inclined to leave the oil in there to protect things ?

oil can sit in a engine for a long time before it could cause damage.. just 1 winter will not hurt.. gas I would never let sit in my bike for a few months

Is this true?

The reason you change it is to prevent the used oil causing moisture in the engine which leads to cylinder wall corrosion. I do it on my generator every hurricane season along with fuel stablizer.

Starts up on second pull every year

I let the engine run out of gas with the stabilizer in it (preventing varnishing inside the carbs/injectors)

Last edited:
Change the oil and filter before storage and run it until the temp gets to operating range. Add some fuel storage additive with a full tank before the oil change. Park it and put a tender on the battery.

In the spring, you can run it for 1,500 miles and then change the oil and filter.

Fresh oil before storage will prevent the acids from eating seals and metal parts. If you can, squirt some oil into the spark plug holes and hit the starter button a few times for upper cylinder lube.

And of course, if you have stands, use them, or park on some plywood.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: I think the best option is to put in fresh oil and filter before storage then your bike will be all ready to go when spring comes:thumbsup:

Back