Who Services Their Own Italian Bikes %$#@*

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Love this little bike, it will touch 100mph on pavement and is light enough to almost keep up with the dedicated dirt bike on single track. In the dirt, it runs circles around the heavier 800/1000 adventure bikes.

But servicing this thing$%^^^^$#

3,000 mile service calls for adjusting valves (and they need adjustment) checking the timing chain and cleaning internal suction and pressure screens.

To do that, the tank has to come off, disconnecting all fuel hoses, fuel pump, fairings. Then the cooling system has to be drained, all hoses disconnected, cooling fan disconnected, both cooling radiators removed, exhaust has to come off, engine cases both left and right needs to come off!!!

Oil capacity is real small, so a oil and filter change every 13 hours.

Takes me best part of a day to do all this stuff!

Start the service:
IMG_1003_zpslapxauhk.jpg

About 3/4 the way of getting to the dismantling part.

IMG_1004_zpse7iqo4et.jpg

IMG_1007_zpsntkjilex.jpg

Off to the next 3,000 miles we go.

I have been lusting over the new Husky 701SM but this just sounds like a nightmare if the maintenance is anything close to your TE. Labor of love!

I have been lusting over the new Husky 701SM but this just sounds like a nightmare if the maintenance is anything close to your TE. Labor of love!
The 701 is actually a KTM 690 with Husky lipstick. It puts out a bit more power than my bike, the suspension travel is about 1" less and the gearing makes it a bit more buzzy at 70/80 MPH. From what I gather with friends riding them, the reliability and service levels are pretty good compared to the old Husky's like mine.

The real kick ass bike today is the KTM 500 EXC-F. It will do everything better than my bike or the 701 and is king in the dirt. Problem is it sounds like a motor rebuild around 15,000 miles.

Last edited:
The 701 is actually a KTM 690 with Husky lipstick. It puts out a bit more power than my bike, the suspension travel is about 1" less and the gearing makes it a bit more buzzy at 70/80 MPH. From what I gather with friends riding them, the reliability and service levels are pretty good compared to the old Husky's like mine.

The real kick ass bike today is the KTM 500 EXC-F. It will do everything better than my bike or the 701 and is king in the dirt. Problem is it sounds like a motor rebuild around 15,000 miles.
Before I bought my Hayabusa I was looking at a Ducati ST4S, but after researching (went so far as to buy a manual!) all the maintenance issues (8 hour valve adjustments, flaking rockers etc. ) with that motor it was a no go.

I'm a dyi guy , and build some motors . Even I cringe at work load / service of the exotics .
Tooling alone for many brands or model could easily buy another bike . So many machines are not serviced then traded in or sold to a unsuspecting buyer. Glad to see you step up , and service it
In my research of buying the Hayabusa the zx14 was considered as I owned a ZX11D for a long time . However working on drag bikes , track time , real world experiences , and wrenching on a ZX14 made me go with the Bird.

Speaking of motors only lasting so long. The new carbon fiber framed BMW HP4 trackbike is supposed to get the motor done every 3000 miles.
Since the bike its self is 80 large I'd guess an exchange engine is in the 'hood of $25,000.
Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Yea I know a little something about that........
IMG_3962_zpsc1ornhtt.jpg

Plan on replacing washers/buttons in your clutch basket and cam chain tensioner and chain if you haven't already. Once those are addressed its pretty much bullet proof. In regards to the oil capacity its almost twice what the race motors are.

Yea I know a little something about that........
View attachment 1576239
Plan on replacing washers/buttons in your clutch basket and cam chain tensioner and chain if you haven't already. Once those are addressed its pretty much bullet proof. In regards to the oil capacity its almost twice what the race motors are.
Cool pic, thanks for posting! Cam chain tensioner still at 5 clicks. Where did you get the washers/buttons, stock or custom made?

There no point in putting the OEMs back in unless you want the same results. There's a guy in South Africa makes them out of tool steel. He sends you those and the rivets you'll need for reassembling the basket shipped to your door for less than $60, or it was when I got mine. Search Adventure rider or CafeHuskey, don't remember which one he's on.

Back