14.5K/mi "Major" Service

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
I have estimates from the three shops in San Diego I would take my 'busa to for it's 14,500 mile 'valve adjustment' service... Their names will remain anonymous...however here's the details...

Two of the shops quote me "about" $500, the other one quoted me $400, tax included...

Here's the breakdown on what is accomplished during this service...

Oil & Filter
Air filter inspect & clean (or replace (more $))
Spark Plugs
Valve Adjust
Fuel System inspect
Exhaust Valves
Emission System
Throttle Synch
Idle adjust
Check all fluids
Check coolant and hoses
Lube and adjust chain
Check brake system
Tighten all screws/bolts

There's something else called 'pair' or 'pear' supply, but I don't know what this is (I do like pears, though).

Anyway, the one place I expected to be the priciest turns out to be the least expensive...oddly, because they have the money and clout to hire and retain great, certified mechanics.

I know where I'm going to take my 'busa, but just wanted to hear what everyone else was getting spanked for this service...

Scar

The_Bomb_.jpg

I'm also in San Diego...actually Rancho San Diego. I do all my own maintenance as I don't have a lot of trust in the local shops
banghead.gif
. I bought my Busa from "Q" in El Cajon as they treated me really fair on the price... but they don't have anything to speak of as far as a proper maintenance shop. If they are going to do all of the things on your list I suppose that's not too bad as the local hourly rates are around $85.00... so that's about two hours of work and the rest profit. I'll be going through this soon as I need to keep up the SEP warranty (through 2011).

Watch for the Blue and Silver '06 around town.

Ever considered doing the work yourself? You would have to invest a little time and some effort, but you would save yourself a ton of cash and you would go to sleep every night knowing that all of the work was QUALITY!
thumb_up.gif

I think I saw you the other day.

Send me a PM and I'll meet you for a ride or
rock.gif
We have a great group.

"Q" is where I bought all three of my 'busa's. ElCajon or LaMesa for you? They're where I got one of the $500 quotes.

FBC is the $400...and where I'm going. Aside from that, I've been shopping a lot there, and they're starting to take REALLY good care of me...

...and get this...

I just went to SBM, and THEY want $550. Wow. Not that it's so much or so little, but that there's such a gap between them...

Anyone else?

You can do 98% of your list very easily by using the search key.
thumb_up.gif

They are quoting you the price with the valve adjustment. Ask them how much if they do not need to be adjusted when they check. Should be in the mid-upper $200 range. Most Busa's do not need to be adjusted at 15K.

Sounds great for the $ savings, but as a matter of course, I am not the natural mechanic...

Both that and the fact that I have little time to accomplish these things, encourages me to spend the money and rely on quality workmanship and the depth of the relationships I've built with the chosen shops (an item I'm still cultivating).

I appreciate the advice, though. With luck, one day I'll retire and do nothing but ride and learn to perform the routine maintenance on my beloved cycles.

'til then...

Ragged_Point_Trip__Scar_at_Hungry_Fisherman__Morro_Bay_02__07_08_07.jpg

Those shops are trying to rob you without a gun, A basic tool box set and some friends with Busa,s can do all that. The Pair supply/sytem is the same as Emissions they are charging you Twice for the same thing.

Now, this is what I call a public education.

Thanks, Coop. I'll rattle that off and gauge the reaction...additionally, knowing that the estimate includes and (otherwise potentially unnecessary) valve adjustment, the price should go down considerably. Proving it needs to or doesn't need to be accomplished will be the trick...

If you baby it like most I don't know of a busa that needed a bucket shim in less than 25K miles. Most shops will say they did and just make a pile of $$ off ya. Now as far as doing it yourself  
beerchug.gif
If you do want to adj they have to be shimmed with the cams out or raised up. And PS the search is out of order for now. But there is a step by step post. Most will close up and not get louder. If you notice it loosing power after it gets warm your in trouble.  
lurk.gif

Attachments

• untitledvaves.bmp
    345.8 KB · Views: 132
Unless you do something really dumb during break-in, your valve adjustment will be fine. I had mine checked at 15K and 30K, still haven't needed adjustment. But checking them to be sure is important. They should show you the measurements. I wouldn't take my bike to anyone to work on if I didn't trust them to tell me the truth. If I remember correctly the adjustment is 2.5 hours. The shop here gets $75/hour. So that's just shy of $190.

I do all that work myself. The tradeoff is the time I have to spend doing it. However, I also don't have to spend 20 minutes driving the bike over and back and waiting for them to finish it. Granted, about two or four hours, I could spend doing something else while they work on it. If I do it myself, though, the peace of mind of knowing it's done right is worth a LOT. Not to mention, I don't ever have to take it back if something isn't right and spending even more time waiting for them to fix it.

On the other hand, with all the risks of taking it in, assuming they do a good job, $400 is pretty good, anything over $475 is a little excesssive. Both of those rates assume, of course, that any shims need to be replaced. If not, I can do all that work myself in a couple of hours and I'm good to go.

The only thing you have to bear in mind is the need for tools. Nothing real special is required except for maybe the carb synch tool. $85 bucks which will completely pay you back the second time you use it.

One last thing: Some of the items on your list should have been done at 7,500 miles. Hope this isn't the first time you're doing some of these maintenance tasks!

--Wag--

I know I am stating something obvious but...

Make friends with a local guy that knows his way around wrenches and is not mechanically inept. Then you bring your bike, fresca, and meat. Then you guys can get silly on fresca and grill after working on bikes! Who knows you might become a little more mechanically sound!
beerchug.gif

Otherwise...pay the money...ouch $400 could pay for a few future track days!

I have the shop do 90% of the work on my bike, even the stuff I can do myself. Drop it off before work, pick it up after work. Spend the saved time riding
smile.gif

I wish I had the know how, and confidence to work on my own bike !! I just look at it this way, if I ef it up not only will I have to pay the shop to do the work anyway, but also to fix whatever they say I messed up ? So I guess I'm stuck with putting my trust in others, that I don't know, scarry huh ?

my only problem with working on it my self is that if i mess it up whats gonna happen i don't care if i screw something up workin on my car because if it dies and breaksdown i still don't

Hi Scar, It's real easy for those of us that have worked on our own equipment for years to suggest that you save $ and do it yourself. Having said that, you wouldn't believe how easy all the stuff you mentioned is to do (with the exception of FI synching and valve adjustment). I personally do all the other stuff and have developed a relationship with the local race shop for the more technical things. I know there are a bunch of choices in the San Diego area. I'm not anti dealership but "small is beautiful" really applies to those that wrench on your bike. My point is...when the guy that works on your bike has a pre existing relationship with you...he/she will simply "personalize" the work and that's invaluable. Remember also that suggested service intervals are super conservative, especially if you ride without maxing out your equipment all the time (like some 19 yr olds on a 600). Take care! Raydog

Thanks for the advice, all; and especially for the depth of understanding from those who know what it's like to not have the background to perform most of these items oneself.

I heartily agree that building relationships with the people who do this type of work is invaluable. Hell...I have friends I haven't even used yet... (just kidding; Gawd...don't have a cow, man).

I'm inclined to let someone who does this for a living (let's call them 'professionals') do the work, and reward them for their knowledge and experience by paying them. It would be in my best interest to learn how to do these things, but I guess I'm just not that interested.

Drop it off, go shopping, pick it up later. It's the American White Collar way...

Back