14.5K/mi "Major" Service

Thanks for the advice, all; and especially for the depth of understanding from those who know what it's like to not have the background to perform most of these items oneself.

I heartily agree that building relationships with the people who do this type of work is invaluable.  Hell...I have friends I haven't even used yet... (just kidding; Gawd...don't have a cow, man).

I'm inclined to let someone who does this for a living (let's call them 'professionals') do the work, and reward them for their knowledge and experience by paying them.  It would be in my best interest to learn how to do these things, but I guess I'm just not that interested.

Drop it off, go shopping, pick it up later.  It's the American White Collar way...
+1

I was a mechanic for 7 years. I have a large box of tools. I have worked on everything from bicycles to tractor trailers.

I too have built a relationship with the local dealer to the the point that when I walk in, they call me by name. They even call me from time to time to ask about me and the bike and how we're doing.

My point is, they may not need my business, but they act like they do.

Back