Where is the top end power?

The Busa is geared a little taller than some of the other bikes, and delivery is not the same as say a V-twin. If you want the delivery punch down low you may want to change the gearing & give up some top end. Of course It is not flat like some 600's either. I'd suggest you give it a chance * get used to it. Very nice package the way it is, not sure you want 500 miles per rear tire...:laugh: Try shifting it down outta 6..:whistle:

Hey everyone, I was just out breaking in my bike and so far have only gotten to around 7500 rpm as I stopped looking at the dash and grabbed some breaks at that point, to stay legal. I should mention that I am at 500 miles so far. I just didn't see any surge in power and I was curious if this thing has a top end hit and where is it? I sure hope there is more too this bike as I went away from liter bikes to get the "real" power and to have a comfortable seat for wifey. Just worried I will regret buying the bus as the friends call it. I am just too particular to run this thing to redline until at least 800 miles but I am getting anxious and hope there is more to this thing. So far it seems to have a little surge around 3500 to around 5000 and that is nice but I need more! Tell me the good word about this bike, please. :please:

Have you seen this bikes 1/4 mi times!!!:laugh:

I haven't got to ride a 2nd gen...but if its a first gen......I hate to tell you, but its not going to have a real "hit" to speak of like you expect. Busa's just pull hard all the way up...no hits. It probably won't feel as fast as the liters you're used to, even though it is. Honestly when I first got my gen1 I was abit dissapointed as well....it didn't give me the "holy sh*t" hit I expected either. And I took heat for saying that in 04...just like I'll prolly take it now :rofl: It will pull abit harder and rev faster as it breaks in though....but its never going to feel frantic like a literbike. Thats just the nature of a big-bore longer stroke motor like the busa compared to a short-stroke high revving liter. Equal speeds, just different feels to the acceleration...and one has HELLA more torque than the other. A busa doesn't care what gear your in...its always going to pull hard :laugh: And it pulls as hard with my wife on back as it does with just me :beerchug: I do love the torque :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the good info guys. I am thinking this quote is the reason I am waiting for the "punch" up top. I haven't gotten all the way but I have a feeling that this bike will not explode with power on top at a certain rpm like the liter bikes I have had. I will miss that but so far very happy with the bike. It doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it is, above 5mph anyway. I was thinking that I will have to ride with some literbikes to really realize the speed. Kind of like the last v8 car I drove, very fast but didn't feel nearly as fast, until passing everyone around you. And yes I do use more than 6th gear and I have been around bikes my whole life so this thread was merely to find out your impressions on the power delivery of this bike, just thought wording it the way I did would get more responses.

So now on to pipes, this has been asked a million times on here but who makes the most power for pipe brands? And also, how much can I gain by just using a pcv to start and then adding a pipe later. Still up in the air about pipes but wondering if pc v would give me any power on its own on this bike. Others it does so I thought I would ask. :whistle:

So now on to pipes, this has been asked a million times on here but who makes the most power for pipe brands? And also, how much can I gain by just using a pcv to start and then adding a pipe later. Still up in the air about pipes but wondering if pc v would give me any power on its own on this bike. Others it does so I thought I would ask. :whistle:

There are so many variables, it depends what you have in mind for the bike. Are you racing it or just street riding...?

Click my sig for results of my build... ;)

I wouldn't spend the money for a PC or tuner until you decide on a pipe.

The Gen 2, like the Gen 1, doesn't have a "liter bike hit" like you're expecting. It pulls like a train from 4500 to 10k. It feels slower than it is. It will not walk, but run past most liter bikes.

Think of it this way. The liter bikes are like Jack-Russell Terriers. The Busa is more like a Grey Hound. The Jack might get the jump off the line, but the Grey Hound is going to pass it very shortly and leave it in the dust.

Welcome. :beerchug:

P.S. The new liter bikes are no joke. They are almost as fast as the Busa at the top speeds. The Busa will get to 150 first, but they may start reeling you in by 170.

The Gen 2, like the Gen 1, doesn't have a "liter bike hit" like you're expecting. It pulls like a train from 4500 to 10k. It feels slower than it is. It will not walk, but run past most liter bikes.

Think of it this way. The liter bikes are like Jack-Russell Terriers. The Busa is more like a Grey Hound. The Jack might get the jump off the line, but the Grey Hound is going to pass it very shortly and leave it in the dust.

Welcome. :beerchug:

P.S. The new liter bikes are no joke. They are almost as fast as the Busa at the top speeds. The Busa will get to 150 first, but they may start reeling you in by 170.
Well said Tru :beerchug: The busa is so smooth, and pulls so deceptively hard everywhere....that I often times found myself wondering why I wasn't accelerating harder, as everybody else on all the different bikes I would run with would just start falling back :laugh: The first few times I really ran it hard against some other bikes I actually asked the guys why they were holding up...they looked at me like I was crazy and said, that things hella fast, we just couldn't KEEP up :rofl: Check out the speeds you get up to as you run through the gears over a measured distance...then try that on a few friends bikes. The busa will feel slower....but actually reach a higher speed than most of the other bikes, especially 150 and up. When you get up to mid and higher triple digits it becomes quite obvious suzuki designed these bikes to go REALLY fast.....they never seem to stop pulling. I've ridden other bikes that give more of a rush down low, but NOTHING has ever given me the freaky never-ending triple digit pull ;)
And they respond VERY nicely to basic bolt-on mods. I'm running a yosh R-22....I like it alot. It fits VERY well once you finagle it on, puts out great power thoughout the revs, sounds nice but still quiet enough for all day rides with my wife on back...and imo is one of the best looking pipes you can get for a busa :thumbsup: Do a pipe/bmc filter/pc/marble mod and one tooth down in front all at once. It'll turn your gentlemans express into a 60's style hot rod...you twist, it explodes.......you'll like it..............alot :laugh: :beerchug:

... Just worried I will regret buying the bus as the friends call it. I am just too particular to run this thing to redline until at least 800 miles but I am getting anxious and hope there is more to this thing. So far it seems to have a little surge around 3500 to around 5000 and that is nice but I need more! Tell me the good word about this bike, please. :please:

The bike will feel like running into a brick wall at about 9 krpm as long as it has the stock exhaust system. A good free flowing system and a PC III mapping will make it scream all the way to redline, the real power comes at around 10k and a bit higher when this is fixed. The bike produce good power also stock, around 170 rwhp, but the extra 10 horses a full system will add means much more than it sounds looking to just the figures. These horses are very strong play-horses that also will make the bike climb in speed an extra 10% on each gear, which is very rewarding performance wise.

i agree w/stealth,the busa seems very tame to me. i also have an02 zx12r geared down one in the front. now that thing pulls!! i only have 150 miles on my 08 busa ,so i too am breaking that baby in . will dropping a tooth in the front on the busa void a waranty?

Watch the first 30 seconds or so of this video of a stock Gen2 in action.
Notice the smooth and constant acceleration all the way to redline! I for one don't need to wait for a specific RPM hit; heck, I'm too busy hanging on to even contemplate anything else! If anyone here actually needs more, my hat's off to you!! :beerchug:

- Onboard the 2008 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think you are twisting that throttle, i can't keep the front down in first gear, i have to play with throttle or slip the clutch to get maximum power out of the first gear. second gear full throttle the front wheele wants to go up.

Stealth:

This bike is not like a liter bike! I have a 02 1k and it feels slower then my 08 blue/black gold/ busa. This is after I have been riding the busa for a few days and get back on the 02 1k. Its like riding a 600 after you have been riding a 1000. No torque!!! The busa is about TORQUE!!! It pulls smooth and strong! Freight Train like when you finally go through all the gears! The 1000's are hyper in the upper band and sprint quickly to 140-150mph, but afterthat the busa comes into its own. The 1000 is nervous feeling where the busa is smooth at speeds above 150mph.

You want more kick from your busa. Here are the mods. Exhaust first! Loose 33lbs or more. Gain 7-12hp over stock with a proper tune (Pc5 or Bazzaz or Afr tuner). Go up 2 or 3 in the rear. Then go to a lighter set of wheels!

You'll be happy with your ride after you break it in! She is a big girl! But she can hold here own!

I to came from an 05 r1. Its not the same hit feeling up top, its just there from start to go and goes alot faster than it feels like.

Back