When is it time to replace sprockets?

busanutt

Registered
I am a semi aggressive rider on my 08 average 46mpg when is it time mileage wise to replace the sprokets and chain? I have 5500 on the bike now and am prepairing for a 7000 mile trip. Have been debateing if I should replace them before i leave or not. I have been looking at vortex sprockets they are claiming longer life. Is that so? What do you guys suggest for brands to use?

I was at 9500 miles on my stock 09 sprockets with little to no wear. I ride very aggressive and most of the times the front wheel is off the ground on take off. All depends on how well you keep your chain and sprocket clean and adjusted properly. I clean and adjust my chain every 600 miles to prevent the cost of chain and sprockets. Look at the teeth and if they arent pointed at the tip and still flat then they are in good shape. I personally wouldnt go with Vortex. I run JT's they are all steel. Yeah Vortex are lighter but I am not looking to pick up a 3 hundreth of a second in the qaurter mile due to a lighter sprocket. Reliabilty and wear is more of a factor to me on a street bike.

Here is Dennis Kirks link with reviews on JT sprockets. I changed sprockets due to I wanted to drop down 3 teeth on the rear and after 2500 miles so far its great!

Dennis Kirk - JT Sprocket customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

There are other people here that are better informed than I that will give you a guideline, but the teeth on either front or rear sproket should have a sharp edge...from the flat top meeting the sides...if it is rounded over = a sign of wear. The chain should be rather tight...no slop in the links / rollers. If it is well lubed / maintained it should last longer than where you are at. I believe that the EK ZZZ chain is what some race shops carry...there are other brands to choose from depending on what your bike will demand

As long as you maintain your chain. Your stock sprockets should last you a good long time. 15k plus miles street riding.

Grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and pull backwards. If you can expose more than 1/2 a tooth the chain is shot.

cheers
ken

Once you go SuperSprox, you'll never go back to normal sprockets.

Hey Tim, I was actually going to look you up on here, i'm having some issues accessing your site and I was looking for a price on the SuperSprox rear sprocket and a good chain for my '07 was hoping you could help me out. It's not your site giving me issues it's my browser, just to clarify, i'm having issues with several sites right now for some reason. Oh and all the platinum lines you sent me, look amazing. I put them on quick to see what they'd look like then removed them since i'm making several changes on the bike this winter including a basic tear down and and cleaning. Thanks alot

My stock sprockets were fine at 33k miles when I swapped the change. Very minimal wear. The change was also still in spec. If you keep them cleaned and adjusted properly, and don't wheelie all the time, there is no reason they will not last that long.

Anything you buy from Vortex will be first class. Their hardened aluminum sprockets work well and drop a pound or so of unsprung weight. Being machined out of aluminum they are easier on the chain than steel. I have used Vortex products for years and have had great service and never had a product I was disappointed in. They make their own sprockets, rear sets and levers right here in the good ole USA.

JT sprockets are made in Taiwan. While the sprocket is indeed cheap, they are cast and look cheap as well. I have used them in the past with no issues but they are low end.

I am extremely pleased with Vortex Products as well as service.

Once you go SuperSprox, you'll never go back to normal sprockets.

+1

Pashnit helped me out!! Love the SuperSprox

FYI I got 21K out of the original chan and sprocket but should of changed them at 20k

100_5584a.JPG

I was looking for a price on the SuperSprox rear sprocket and a good chain for my '07 was hoping you could help me out.

SuperSprox for the Busa are generally $90 for the stock gold. A few months back SuperSprox made some major changes and you can now get 2-3 colors for $30 extra. They also recently started doing some of the manufacturing of the sprockets in Los Angeles ($30 extra)- which is huge, since they are based in Eastern Europe and we'd wait 4-8 weeks on a restock (we had to wait for the boat to float across-literally!)

Chains on the other hand are all over the map. Inexpensive to very pricey. We generally recommend riders consider buying a chain kit which is Front/Rear + the chain. Prices run ~$270-$320 for the entire kit.

We sell the RK & EK chains the most as the Busa is very high horsepower so don't skimp on cheapy chains.

Thanks guys after viewing all of this info I am definitely going to have to go with that Supersprox and a RK chain from the pashinit site. That sprocket looks pretty stylish back there.

my gen2 done 15000 miles as good as new, i ride aggressive, but always clean my chain, that's the key keep your chain in good nick and the sprockets will look after you.

SuperSprox for the Busa are generally $90 for the stock gold. A few months back SuperSprox made some major changes and you can now get 2-3 colors for $30 extra. They also recently started doing some of the manufacturing of the sprockets in Los Angeles ($30 extra)- which is huge, since they are based in Eastern Europe and we'd wait 4-8 weeks on a restock (we had to wait for the boat to float across-literally!)

Chains on the other hand are all over the map. Inexpensive to very pricey. We generally recommend riders consider buying a chain kit which is Front/Rear + the chain. Prices run ~$270-$320 for the entire kit.

We sell the RK & EK chains the most as the Busa is very high horsepower so don't skimp on cheapy chains.

Awesome thanks Tim, i'll have to get something set up in the next month or two, i'm just in the process of changing jobs. I'm starting up in the oilfields here shortly so i'm gonna have to get some things straightened away since I have alot of overhead costs in this job at the start so it'll be kinda tight for a little bit.

Winner winner right there.

You should get 15 to 30 K out of the stocker depending on how you ride and how well you maintain the chain.

Grab the chain at the back of the rear sprocket and pull backwards. If you can expose more than 1/2 a tooth the chain is shot.

cheers
ken

I've got 22,000 miles on my '08 with stock chain and sprokets. They still look OK-but I'm gonna change them out this winter. I'm not very knowledgeable about all the different brands so I was just going to go with the stock replacements. What's better? I'm mostly a long distance rider and don't stunt on the street. Thanks

My last aluminum only lasted 16k miles. I upgraded to Supersprox, read up on them. You'll be a fan!

Back