Sprocket Replacement question

Super Trucker

Donating Member
Registered
Hi,
First if I put a different sprocket on the bike, do I have to replace the chain? It is a 2005 with 2400 miles on it. Is there a certain brand that is better than others?Next is the a link to directions on how to take everything apart? (I am thinking about a 43t on the rear, so I don't have to replace the chain) I already have plans to get the speedohealer also.
Thanks for the help, Mike

<!--EDIT|Super Trucker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123797698 -->

I have been changing sprockets daily it seems. I got a 41T and 42T rear and a 16T front. I got steel sprockets. One of the vendors on this board sells them at a good price but I do not know if they are steel. From the amount of adjustment between the stock and 42T sprocket, I think that a 43T might still work with the stock chain. To change the rear sprocket, put the bike on the center stand (hehehehehe), loosen the chain adjusters on both sides (10mm and 12mm open ends); pull the cotter pin and remove the rear axle nut (36mm); remove the two rear brake caliper mounting bolts (12mm socket); pull the axle and take the rear wheel off the bike. Then remove the six nuts securing the rear sprocket (14mm). I drop the wheel into a plastic trash can so that the rear disc is not damaged. The sprocket assembly comes out of the rubber cush drive too.
To reassemble, you install the new sprocket and torque to 43.5 lbs-ft; the rear brake caliper mounting bolts are 19 lbs-ft; the 36mm rear axle nut is 72.5 lbs-ft and the chain adjusters are simply secured.
Work the wheel back in and I use a big long screwdriver from the nut side of the rear axle to line things up. Don't forget to put the rear brake mounting bracket back up there and youo can tell how the axle adjustment blocks go by the marks on them. Line everything up and adjust the chain and you are good to go. Also pump your rear brake a few times until it works again or else the first time you go to use it there will be zero rear brake.

Sidewinder tri-metal.....43t rear. sidewindersprockets.com. With stock chain, will shorten the wheelbase 3/8" - 5/8" , better in the twisties. Watch 1st and 2nd, little hairy until you get use to it.

Thanks for the info, The reason I choose the rear to change is I do not want to replace the chain this year unless I had to. (my wife lost her job so money is tight.) I really appreciate the help I get from the board.

If money is tight go wit the front sprocket (16T), it will give you the grunt in the low gears and you will have no problem with the stock chain because it actually gets a little longer. The front sprocket is also about half the price of the rear. ( one tooth in the front is between two and three teeth in the rear ) If you want to have a good time go with the 16/42 and hold on tight...

Back