Wheel Removal

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
OK, got my PIT BULL front stand today and have been looking the bike over all up in the air. Need to pull the front wheel tomorrow morning and have stealership check out the front tire... shaking and they did the mount and balance. Do I need or have to remove the fender? What do you guys do? Again... this is my 1st time and I just didn't want my bike back at the stealership.

Check you owners manual it will show you how to take off the front Wheel. But simply put NO; you don't have to take off the fender.

1)  Remove the Front Brake Calipers (Left and Right)
2)   Loosen 2 Axle pinch bolts on the right front fork leg
3)   Loosen the front Axle
4)   Remove Front Axle and the Front Wheel
5)   After removing front wheel, fit the calipers temporarily to the original postions (make sure you don't squeeze the brake handles-- I tie first with zip ties to make sure I can't hit them and apply the front brakes while the wheel / brake disc are gone)
6)   Loosen 2 axle pinch bolts on the left front fork leg and remove the spacer nut .

Above from the Manual and Experience

Reassembly is reverse but with axle grease on some parts and correct torquing.
redcomprs2.gif

I really think this is in the small owners manual with the bike. It's not a big deal, so you should just go through what your doing in your mind and be clear about what and why your doing it. Then it's simple  
beerchug.gif

(DaCol. @ Mar. 30 2007,20:44) Check you owners manual it will show you how to take off the front Wheel. But simply put NO; you don't have to take off the fender.

5)   After removing front wheel, fit the calipers temporarily to the original postions (make sure you don't squeeze the brake handles-- I tie first with zip ties to make sure I can't hit them and apply the front brakes while the wheel / brake disc are gone)
6)   Loosen 2 axle pinch bolts on the left front fork leg and remove the spacer nut .

redcomprs2.gif

I really think this is in the small owners manual with the bike. It's not a big deal, so you should just go through what your doing in your mind and be clear about what and why your doing it. Then it's simple  
beerchug.gif
Perfect. Got it and will do! Just need a vote of confidence. I see the torque is 72.5 lbs. I'll knock this out and wait on my wavy to come in before I assemble.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I don't understand why we remove the spacer nut on the left side. I changed my tires today without referencing the manual or the pinned information. Did not remove this component. Bikes running fine with the exception of the front brakes, which for some reason apparently need to be bled now.

I read the pinned write up because of the brake issue afterwards and didn't understand it at all. I agree with your steps with the exception of the spacer removal. I have an '06

(dadofthree @ Mar. 30 2007,15:11) I don't understand why we remove the spacer nut on the left side. I changed my tires today without referencing the manual or the pinned information. Did not remove this component. Bikes running fine with the exception of the front brakes, which for some reason apparently need to be bled now.
You do not have to remove the spacer on the left side...

Once you yank the axle and the wheel comes free, you are good to go.

Pick up a big tub of lithium grease at a hardware store and you are good to go for axle grease.

(DaCol. @ Mar. 31 2007,01:44) Check you owners manual it will show you how to take off the front Wheel. But simply put NO; you don't have to take off the fender.

redcomprs2.gif

beerchug.gif
This is basically correct except for the fact that if the front end is not up high enough the wheel won't roll out from under the fender once the axle is removed. I would just go ahead and remove the fender. And actually, if you've got good hands and a small amount of patience, you don't even have to remove the calipers. Just take the advice and not tap the front brake lever. If you do, you will have to loosen the bleeder bolt to allow fluid pressure to release and then use a flat-head screwdriver or the like and push the brake pistons back in. Good luck dude...

The front fender might not have to be completely removed, if you unbolt it and push it upwards you may have enough clearance to remove the wheel. The front PitBull stand doesn't lift up high enough. I also recommend breaking the bolts loose before putting up on the stand. I hang the calipers by bungy chord from the mirrors.
DSC02814.jpg

I also recommend when putting it back together, snug the bolts, and bounce the front end a few times before torquing.

Perfect info from all. I will go ahead and remove the fender and loved the tip about breaking loose before I put her on the PIT BULL. Looks like it could come down from the PB rubber mounts with to much wrenching. Bungie cords was a great tip as well. As always..... this board rocks!

This begs the question does the Pitbull (or others) stem stand lift the front high enough to do this without pulling the fender? Looks like the Pitbull fork stand does not. I am about due for a front tire again and would love to have a stem stand so as not to have to pull the fairings and jack her up again.

DSCN0017a.JPG

I have a Pit Bull rear stand and a Suzuki front stand. And yes, the Suzuki front stand does lift the bike up enough that I didn't need to remove the fender  
beerchug.gif

I got it easier; I got it easier
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Feel stupid with this question but here I go! Fender off, calipers haning, Pit Bull raised, need to remove axle and I'm in my took kit looking for what I would think would be a socket that would fit inside of the main right side hex bolt/axle... how do I remove the axle.

Front_Wheel_Removal_004.jpg

I see bigoltool has one in his axle but unless that came with the bike.... what is it? A reversed socket?

(porterfm @ Mar. 31 2007,07:40) Feel stupid with this question but here I go!  Fender off, calipers haning, Pit Bull raised, need to remove axle and I'm in my took kit looking for what I would think would be a socket that would fit inside of the main right side hex bolt/axle... how do I remove the axle.
The tool does not come with the bike
sad.gif

You cah go down to the local hardware store and buy a 5/8" bolt and two nuts to fit the bolt...lock the two nuts together on the bolt...now you have a Suzuki axle tool
super.gif

(BA BUSA @ Mar. 31 2007,07:46) You cah go down to the local hardware store and buy a 5/8" bolt and two nuts to fit the bolt...lock the two nuts together on the bolt...now you have a Suzuki axle tool  
super.gif
Roger that! On my way to the hardware store! Or stealership.

(porterfm @ Mar. 31 2007,07:57)
(BA BUSA @ Mar. 31 2007,07:46) You cah go down to the local hardware store and buy a 5/8" bolt and two nuts to fit the bolt...lock the two nuts together on the bolt...now you have a Suzuki axle tool  
super.gif
Roger that!  On my way to the hardware store! Or stealership.
You can buy the "official" tool for $20-$25...or the hardware one for about $2 bucks
wink.gif

OK, left tire/wheel with Stealership today to check out the balance for the Dunlop Qualifier has not got approx 150 miles and I have a shake in the handlebars. They just called and said balance on wheel & tire were perfect. I ask if the tire was out of round and why do I have a shake now. Bike is show room condition with 4000 miles and had no shake before! He said they would like to have the bike and ride it and it may be a bearing! I took my wheel/tire myself because I spent three hours getting the scratch out of my brand new Yosh's and they left it out in the rain and the silver stitch in the Tobin was faded due to rain the last time I let them service it! What do you guys think? bad tire?

Back