Wheel bearings

kyote1

Registered
Over the years owning differant motorcycles, I have know the wheel bearings to have an outer rubber seal and no inner seal.

Why not put on a wheel bearing with two seals instead of the one. Is this done for cost from the manufacturer?

Surprisingly bearings need very little grease to operate, we always tend to slam more grease in the cavities and feel good about it, In reality when you pack a bearing full it spits out what it doesn't want once it is operating.

Your comments please

I bought 2 sets from this guy when he was on ebay:
World Wide Bearings
His are sealed on both sides, fully lubed when sealed.
I didn't like the idea of the inside being open as in the OEM.
Dirt, water, metal chips and whatever can get into them I figure.
I am sure some sponsors here can sell fully sealed bearings.

motorcycle.jpg

My feelings exactly....would not, at all, mind swapping out for fully sealed....sponsors ????.....anyone ????...... :oldcool:

Thermal breathing, I believe, is why Suzuki left the inside's open is all.......BTU's gotta go somewhere.....just guessing though...

I carry worldwide bearings they work great outside the motor and great on the inside...

GoldenChild I looked on your site and could not find the World wide bearings.

Your not gonna find alot of things on there just yet as I'm adding stuff to it daily that I have in stock..no waiting for me to get it if it's on my site it's here..I have lots of new/used stuff here that's not on there as I'm a one man shop & it's not as easy as some think to do it all.

Just call if you want something you don't see on there..I'll make sure you get what you need and answer your questions before you make a purchase from me to be sure your not wasting money..

503-663-3278

you lost me, i wasn't asking if buddy had bearings in stock!!!!!!!

I was inquiring about the bearings with inner seals on the wheels vs the way the come from the factory without the inner seals

There you go kyote1.
That's the ticket.

you lost me, i wasn't asking if buddy had bearings in stock!!!!!!!

I was inquiring about the bearings with inner seals on the wheels vs the way the come from the factory without the inner seals

it's heat related most times,think about it for a second,bearing is pressed in wheel seals that outter area,then you turn around slide a axle into the center now you've sealed that area ,where will all the heat go?if the bearing is completely sealed you can cause premature wear....wheel lock up,you go down,bam lawsuit..

experiment and see if it's true..get a set of sealed bearings install them go ride bike read wheel center with infared,swap them to stock configuration ride same distance same speed next morning and infared them and see if there is a difference..less drag creates less heat in turn friction wear is less.

Last edited:

OKay.....
Yes they make them.
Yes they are better. (IMO)
Yes I have used them as quoted above,
and
Yes if you want some at least one sponsor on this board sells them.
Any other enquiries?

it's heat related most times,think about it for a second,bearing is pressed in wheel seals that outter area,then you turn around slide a axle into the center now you've sealed that area ,where will all the heat go?if the bearing is completely sealed you can cause premature wear....wheel lock up,you go down,bam lawsuit..

experiment and see if it's true..get a set of sealed bearings install them go ride bike read wheel center with infared,swap them to stock configuration ride same distance same speed next morning and infared them and see if there is a difference..less drag creates less heat in turn friction wear is less.

The ones that I got have plastic seals on both sides of the bearing.
I would think that if the temperature was hot enough to cause a bearing to seize, it would melt that plastic, wouldn't it?
I'm no expert, but I can't see the heat arguement.
The bearing itself will transmit heat to the outer race and axle etc as it heats up, thereby cooling it.
The small cavity of stationary air that may cool the open bearing is so small and so stationary that even with the inside open, there would not be significant cooling (only that air)
However the dirt and moisture that is kept out of the back side by the seal would not contribute to the heat of the sealed bearing as it might on the open one?
JMO

Last edited:
Well, if you wanna go with the heat idea and take things a little firther, wouldnt all the surrounding metal, including the axle, be like a heat sink?

I seriously cant see bearings getting that hot. After all, cars run sealed bearings all the time on wheels.

yes it spits it out alittle but it help keep the dirt stuck to the extra grease on the out side i don't think a little extra grease will hurt anything just wipe it off on the next wash of bike which should be everytime you ride it lol:laugh: manpower

i use sealed bearing also and have never had a problem with them in either my busa's or my cars.. you can get the stock number off: the bearing and buy them at a bearing wholesaler and save some money i get mine from king bolt same bearing just not in a motorcycle bearing box's :rulez::rulez:

OKay.....
Yes they make them.
Yes they are better. (IMO)
Yes I have used them as quoted above,
and
Yes if you want some at least one sponsor on this board sells them.
Any other enquiries?

Yer Honor....I REST my case.......no, really, I asked about the sponsors having them.....Daniel...you da' MAN !!!! :super:

Back