Question about how to lube sealed bearing

IG.

Registered
OK, folks. So, I am looking at the wheels I got with my Harbor Freight trailer.

The outer bearing is easy. I knocked the cap off, and pulled the bearing with my finger (very clean finger I might add).

Now, the inner bearing is held by the seal, so I need to remove the seal in order to pull the bearing out. However, there is a grease fitting attached to the hub where the inner bearing is. I presume so that the bearing could be lubricated without it being removed. What I don't quite get is if I force the grease througth the grease fitting where does it enter the bearing? Do I need to rotate the bearing while I inject the grease? And finaly, where would the excess grease go and how do I get it out?

I would post pictures, but those who have seen what I am talking about whould know anyway.

if you hang the nut back on the spindle after you take the outer bearing off, you can then take the hub and pull it off the spindle.. as the inner bearing contacts the nut, use it as a slide hammer.. you will end up with the bearing, seal and nut hanging on the spindle.. just pack the bearing by hand now..

I do not like the "flood the hub" with grease thing myself.. you can "over" grease a bearing..

I always rotated the wheel while I greased it, and pump the thing until you get excess grease coming out. Replace the outer bearing and repack, replace the dust cover. I got some covers called, "Bearing Buddies", you can get em at Wal-Mart or any trailer supply. They take the place of the dust covers and have a grease zert(how do you spell that?) on them. I have never had to remove my bearing after installing these.

if you hang the nut back on the spindle after you take the outer bearing off, you can then take the hub and pull it off the spindle.. as the inner bearing contacts the nut, use it as a slide hammer.. you will end up with the bearing, seal and nut hanging on the spindle.. just pack the bearing by hand now..

I do not like the "flood the hub" with grease thing myself.. you can "over" grease a bearing..

Seriously? How can you over grease a bearing? Not being funny, I dont know.

Seriously? How can you over grease a bearing? Not being funny, I dont know.
the grease needs to build a bit of heat to flow.. if you pack the hubs full they can actually start to run too dry.. (fjrom running too cold)..

You can get away with it but you do need to keep greasing the things.. "Bearing Buddies" are pretty much the same way, they pack the hub full of grease and you need to keep them "loaded" so that the spring pressure keeps pushing a small amount of grease out the back seal..

if you have a trailer with brakes, not so much an issue as they brakes will heat the hub enough to make the grease flow

if you have ever pulled a hub with so much grease it has caked and cracked, you have seen what too much grease does..

Last edited:
OK. I got that. Using the axle nut/washer as a seal puller is a neat idea. Can the seal be removed/installed a number of times, or does it have to be replaced often? I don't like the idea of flooding the hub with grease.

Another question, how do I remove the hub? The only way I see doing it is to hit it with a rubber hammer from different angles until it comes off, right? It is seated pretty tight.

How many miles between greasing assuming I trailer the 'Busa - which is half the load?

Put your wheel back on and it'll give you some leverage to get the hub off. It should pull off. If you don't want to pull the seal, You can grease the bearing inside the hub by hand. Just reach in with two fingers and pull the grease into the bearing. If you pull the seal, I'd replace it. It could deform it when it comes out. I hate greasing wheel brgs.

I have reused inner seals repeatedly.. it all boils down to inspecting the thing (hard, torn, bent out of shape) and DO pay attention to inside/outside of the seal..

I do not like "blindly" packing bearings.. I want to see if there is any flaking, spalling or other defects... Spend one afternoon on the side of the highway with a fried bearing and the race welded to the axle.. and you will understand.. :)

Bearing sets are not all the much money and if there is any question to the condition of them? time for new... proper preloads on the nut are really really important.. better a touch too loose than too tight..

If you really want to get after it, there are a number of different greases available for wheel bearings.. each has its own place..

I never use white lithium based.. Water proof is not always the best idea, Greases that work great on "braked" hubs do not work as well on hubs without brakes etc... read up

Last edited:
Put your wheel back on and it'll give you some leverage to get the hub off. It should pull off. If you don't want to pull the seal, You can grease the bearing inside the hub by hand. Just reach in with two fingers and pull the grease into the bearing. If you pull the seal, I'd replace it. It could deform it when it comes out. I hate greasing wheel brgs.

Dang! I mistyped the question. I meant how do I remove the cap which closes the opening in the hub on the outer bearing side?

I have reused inner seals repeatedly.. it all boils down to inspecting the thing (hard, torn, bent out of shape) and DO pay attention to inside/outside of the seal..

I do not like "blindly" packing bearings.. I want to see if there is any flaking, spalling or other defects... Spend one afternoon on the side of the highway with a fried bearing and the race welded to the axle.. and you will understand.. :)

Bearing sets are not all the much money and if there is any question to the condition of them? time for new... proper preloads on the nut are really really important.. better a touch too loose than too tight..

If you really want to get after it, there are a number of different greases available for wheel bearings.. each has its own place..

I never use white lithium based.. Water proof is not always the best idea, Greases that work great on "braked" hubs do not work as well on hubs without brakes etc... read up

Thanks! I already went to auto parts store, and saw some difference in greases as you mentioned. I also like to see how the internals look like as opposed to blindly stuffing grease in there.

Dang! I mistyped the question. I meant how do I remove the cap which closes the opening in the hub on the outer bearing side?

Also, since we are on the subject, I am wondering why the trailers are made with the bearings which require re-greasing. Why not use bearings similar to the ones in cars/bikes which can run for the entire life of the vehicle?

Bump...

Anyone? Come on. You guys can't be out riding this time of year. Sitting in front of the screen is the only place to be. Well, aside from skiing/snowboarding...

Anyway... Bump.... bump....

Have to bring this thread back to life. I ordered 1.98" bearing buddy, but it turns out mine are 2.047" which are not as easy to find, so after all I may end up not using bearing buddies at all.

I do have a grease fitting on the inner part of the hub. And the bearings came in already greased. So, my question is do I just keep the bearings greased? How many miles will this last? Can I force the grease through the existing grease fitting until it shows through the outer bearing, meaning the inner bearing, inside of the hub and outer bearing are full of grease - and leave it like that and just take the dust cap off once in a while to check in there and maybe pump a bit more if needed?

What would you recommend?

the grease needs to build a bit of heat to flow.. if you pack the hubs full they can actually start to run too dry.. (fjrom running too cold)..

You can get away with it but you do need to keep greasing the things.. "Bearing Buddies" are pretty much the same way, they pack the hub full of grease and you need to keep them "loaded" so that the spring pressure keeps pushing a small amount of grease out the back seal..

if you have a trailer with brakes, not so much an issue as they brakes will heat the hub enough to make the grease flow

if you have ever pulled a hub with so much grease it has caked and cracked, you have seen what too much grease does..

I never heard of over greasing bearings but it make pefectly good sense what you said.:thumbsup:

Back