**warning**wheel bearing**warning**

That was lucky. Someone mentioned above about lubricating the bearings? I thought they where sealed? I've put probably 60-70K miles collectively on my bikes and I've never done/heard of this before?

Not to thread jack- but when you say noise, what is it like?

my front wheel has a squeak to it as of this spring, and what I noticed is after i moved it from sitting all winter the front disc seemed to be stuck in place.. a small jerk and it broke free and rotates fine, but moving <3-5MPH and it has a very low dB squeaking noise..

same situation? need i worry about this problem or am I looking at a different one? is this common / normal, and just some rust/debris that needs to be worked off the disc?

Colton

Last edited:

my front wheel has a squeak to it as of this spring, and what I noticed is after i moved it from sitting all winter the front disc seemed to be stuck in place.. a small jerk and it broke free and rotates fine, but moving <3-5MPH and it has a very low dB squeaking noise..

same situation? need i worry about this problem or am I looking at a different one? is this common / normal, and just some rust/debris that needs to be worked off the disc?

Colton

That sounds like rust on the rotors/brake pads to me, give it a few good hard stops and see if it goes away.

That sounds like rust on the rotors/brake pads to me, give it a few good hard stops and see if it goes away.

Okay, just making sure my wheel isn't going to fall off- us young, ignorant riders need to ask you old, wise riders about these things:D

I'll report back!

oh BTW.

65 DEGREES IN CLEVELAND.
YES.
CLEVELAND.

<3 you God. ty.

The OEM bearings are sealed on the outside and open on the inside.
I myself do not like that setup.
I changed mine to bearings that are sealed on both sides.
Grease dries out and water can get inside and wash the grease out, and dirt etc. can also get inside.
I don't use a pressure washer and keep most water away from that area.
His bearings look like they were dry and contaminated, and that would contribute to what he had.
There is a section in the manual on how to check the bearings with the wheel on the bike.
If you have the wheels off it is also a good idea to rotate the bearings by hand and you will feel any bad spots long before what happened to him happens (I go through tires every 5-7 thousand miles, and check them at that time).
Here are a couple of pics of what neglected bearings can look like to the eye (I got these from another thread and saved them):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

is the wheel trashed? I may have a spare for you. I dont remember if it is a front or rear. Let me know if you need it

same thing happened to me two weeks ago in my rear wheel. I had a incredible shake and took the bike right to the shop and got new ones. But I think its do to the cold weather.

how do ya use a gear puller to install wheel bearings? I wouldn't wanna marr up the wheel or rotor carrier by seating the puller aganst either
Posted via Mobile Device

how do ya use a gear puller to install wheel bearings? I wouldn't wanna marr up the wheel or rotor carrier by seating the puller aganst either
Posted via Mobile Device

I use a threaded rod with washers to pull the bearings in place.
Better to "pull" them in than "hammer" them in.
The force has to be on the outer edge only or the whole face (inner and outer edge together), if it is just on the inner edge it will wreck the bearing.

Bearing Tool.JPG

Maintenence my friends Maintenence!

Put your bikes on a stand now and then and spin the wheels. Make sure they spin freely and make no noise. Push them side to side and look for any movement in the axle area. When you have the wheel off, take your finger and spin the inner race and feel the bearing for any rough spots. Bearing last a long time but they do eventually wear out.

A wheel bearing giving up like that should never happen to anyone. It's easy to catch that sort of problem before it becomes a problem.

You are lucky the wheel didn't seize up and pitch you on your noggin!

I had the misfortune of having my rear tire/rim being rebuilt wrong. The shop that swapped my rim forgot to place a spacer on the rim. Whenever I was on throttle I could feel a 'kick' from left to right. Also my rear brake wouldn't apply. I asked my buddy to look at when I got to his house. When he touched my back tire, it shifted to left. We both said, 'Oh s**t!!'. Bye by Galfer wave rotor, OEM caliper, ebc brake pads, new bearings, cush drive, and new spacers! All because of one plastic part.
Posted via Mobile Device

This scared me so much, I went home at lunch time and checked both wheels with the bike on stands. I'm a bit of a nerd that way.:whistle:

Colton

the noise that i heard sounded like ball bearings rolling around with no lubrication. I heard squeeks like it sounded like my axle was backing out
so scary sounding. Now thinking about it. even last week when i had my lady friend and too her to houston and back, my bearing assy was already toast
only thing was is that the bearing just kept its seating untill it couldn't anymore
and relieved itself..so damn crazy...

This scared me so much, I went home at lunch time and checked both wheels with the bike on stands. I'm a bit of a nerd that way.:whistle:

Thats good thats what I would like to see. Making it aware.. it can help save lives
of those like me who had no idea about how the wheel components work
and what to look for
or simply those who just overlooks it
glad this thread already has exposure by the view count

Last edited:

You are one of the guys that knows a lot about wheels, and bearings too. :beerchug:
That was a good idea, and also for the rest out there.
Such a cheap easy fix if they are bad.

Back