Wheel Bearings

Lloyd

Registered
Putting on new tires today (pilot roads)and planning on going to the bearing house in the morning and matching up some new wheel bearings. I have close to 9,000 miles on this bike, 2000 model and after being on a buddies Bbird this weekend, I was amazed at how easy his bike rolled and thought maybe wheel bearings might help things a bit..

How often have any of you replaced yours? If the bearing house doesnt have any, I will just reinstall these and ride it,they Look to be fine...

You shouldn't need new wheel bearings at only 9000 miles
...until ofcourse, youhave stunted a lot on your bike
biggrin.gif

The rear just doesnt spin on the balance free enough. Why it may need bearings at 9000 miles? I dont know..might have more to do with the age of the bike than the miles..

Would taking them out and cleaning them possibly getting all the dirt and crap out help

The Japanese manufacturers are notorious for using poor metals in their bearings . From bikes to Toyota transmissions same deal .

With the kinda torque the Busa lays to the rear , factor in some rain i could see them being shot .

Allballsracing.com sells premium bearing replacements . If you can get a bike shop that buys through Parts Unlimited to cut you a deal , their bearings can be had ultra cheap .

I've already bought steering head bearings and all the wheel bearings for mine . Will probably replace them all this winter .

The Japanese manufacturers are notorious for using poor metals in their bearings .
I gotta disagree with you on this, I buy tons of bearings and some of the Japanese companies are excellent, it's the other Asian countries you gotta watch, China, India, etc. NSK and Nachi are two of the manufacturers I've bought from and their products hold up just fine in some pretty rough applications. Japanese steel is not substandard as a rule, although it might not be the best available. Nachi, for example, controls the process from the begining (they own/operate their own steel mill) to the shipping of the finished product.

Someone made a post a while back about a company that had a great price on bearings, the guy even knew the part numbers off the top of his head! Johnnycheese said he'd been doing business with them for years.Anything is possible with something man made, have them checked by a qualified tech and replace them if needed.

I will have all new bearing tomarrow. I bought them straight from a bearing company. He had the fronts in stock, and I can tell the difference already..Comparing the new fronts to the rears, really let me know how bad the rears are..

Fronts were 14 bucks and the rears 3 of them should not be over 25 more..

Should be back on the road by 2 tomarrow..

New tires, new brakes and new wheel bearings..WHoohoo!!

So can we install the bearings or do we need a shop to do it. How difficult is it?

There was an article in this months Sport Rider about new hybrid bearings that I feel would really help offset the weight of our little monsters

find Brutha Rubbah's bearing topic...

-had one front wheel bearing fail...at 10 or 20 thou...
-get some new sealed BOTH sides replacements
-dont trust the monkey pi$$er who assembled 'em
-remove seal,clean out cheap grease,add yer own Silkolene
-new brakes huh, get 'em seated,before that land speed record attempt
-new tires aswell, easy does it on them too,their more than twice as slippery as yer average used car salesman

hav a well parted 1...RSD

So can we install the bearings or do we need a shop to do it.  How difficult is it?
you could do it... assuming yer not a total fugup...like that guy wartbrown ....anyway....

you could do it.... sounds like its time for another Brutha Rubbah Walkthru...

hav a clued 1...RSD.

The bearings are sealed, so just reuse the Factory seals. They remove very easy, the seals..The bearings are little tougher to remove. I would recommend removing the wheels and have a descent motorcycle mech swap the bearings out for ya if you are worried about screwing it up and you can if you dont install them correctly..

I will try and post the part numbers of the bearing tomarrow.

The bearings are sealed, so just reuse the Factory seals. They remove very easy, the seals..The bearings are little tougher to remove. I would recommend removing the wheels and have a descent motorcycle mech swap the bearings out for ya if you are worried about screwing it up and you can if you dont install them correctly..

I will try and post the part numbers of the bearing tomarrow.
you've missed it man.... I'm talking about the seals on the bearings... NOT the dust seals...

OPEN THE NEW BEARINGS. you get it now? The grease in them is crap....

IF THERE EVEN IS ANY(yes,it happens).... yes in the NEW BEARINGS.

The new seals come with seals onboth sides. I will remove the seal from the bearing on the inside and inspect them. you might explain yourself better next time..I aint to smert....
pokeit.gif

yeah i want a walkthrough as well. You dont need to have a bearing packer cause when i was looking at getting chrowe wheels he kept feeding me #### about have to repack the bearings and that would cost a lot
wink.gif

I just did the rears on my 04'. It's not hard at all. Helps if you have a seal driver to keep them flat while installing.

Back