Wheel Bearing Write Up?

Here is my take on the final answer. Again JMO:

1. The wheel doesn't matter which is left or right. (I have chrome wheels and the arrows are ground off and I run them both ways and no problem)
2. The only tool I will use to seat the bearings is a threaded rod with a spacer that contacts both the inner and outer race of the bearing.
3. The idea of the gap is to fully seat 1 bearing (either side) with that tool, and then seat the other bearing with that tool.
4. In the attached picture, Suzuki shows a tool that they sell that has 2 such spacers, and it contacts both inner and outer races and all the force of pulling in the bearing, is distributed evenly across the bearing.
5. If you do it in this manner and torque the tool to 72.5 foot pounds (axle torque), then the 2nd bearing is seated properly (inner race against the spacer in the wheel at the right torque) and, will have the correct space just by default.
6. What they DON’T want is to seat them with a hammer on the outer race and drive it too far in so it loads up the bearing, or NOT to try and pull in the bearing with the axle when it is torqued, because that force is just on the inner race, via the axle.
7. If the bearings are in there with the inner races tight (72.5 ft lbs) against the spacer, and they weren’t driven in, but pulled in then you are good to go.

Bearing Gap tool.JPG

Last edited:
Back