What do you like AND dislike about your Busa

gfunko

Registered
Org'ers, just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were about their beloved Busa's. It can be ANYTHING and EVERTHING..here we go!(moderators, if this is in the wrong sections, please move it to the appropriate place)

Looks - There is nothing generic about the look, and while I initially didn't care of it too much, it grew and grew and now I am and always will be head over heels for this bike. It can take on many different looks, from the blinged out, stretched, wild color customs to the coast to coast sport tourer. One other thing that I can't NOT mention is the hump! Call me weird but I've always liked the hump when I first saw it on the 97 GSXR's. More over, I love that the GenII tail (and other Suzuki bikes) incorporate the front rear turn signals into the body (or mirrors).
Gas Gauge - Nuff said.

Dislikes:
Dash/Display - I sort of wish Suzuki included a bit more info on the HUD for the Busa given its size. Having own a GenI ZX14 and test rode the GenII ZX14, I really liked the info provided to the rider.
Front Fender - Trying to remove the front wheel is a #^%!@ if you don't have a stand that lifts the front high enough.
Throwback Edition - This could be wishful thinking, but having seen Icon's throwback 2012 ZX14 to the 1992 ZX7, I was sort of hoping Suzuki would do a throwback to the early model GSXR's? But then again, that's not really Suzuki's style...

Love the looks of the gen 1 since I laid eyes back in the 2000's. It looks fast just sitting there. Also like my turbo :laugh: I still haven't ran it wtfo successfully yet but the boost is a blast! Overall smooth running and a comfortable sport bike.

Dislikes: none really but if I had to pick one it would say brakes which can be upgraded with pads and rotors so it's not a big deal.

The bike is what I thought it would be and more. Couldn't be happier.

Looks, stability, torque, analog gauges. The fact that its quick in every gear at just about every speed.

Dislikes:

Taking off fairings for maintenance, fixed ergonomics, outdated electronics.

Simplicity of the design. Really easy to work on.
Power is crazy
Engine is a freight train and built like a tank.
Handling is much better than the reputation. Add some suspension upgrades and this bike is smooth, well behaved and super stable.
Size - I'm a big guy and this is one of the few bikes that I have room on.
Timelessness. Even old the Busa still has presence.
Awesome platform for upgrading. To be honest I can't find bike that's as good as the modded busa at all of the riding I do.
Riding position. It is funny that non of the reviewers seem to get this. The ZX is upright. Sit on a busa and you feel like doing some damage.

Dislikes:
Heavy, real heavy.
Lack of rider aids like ABS and TC
The rear brake MC under the rear cowl, dumbest thing on the bike.
Brakes, stock brakes are shameful
lack of upgrades, of course that's a big part of the timelessness of the design.
PLastic tabs holding fairings on. Why can't we bolt it in place? Bolts don't break off.
Missing some instruments (air temp and tire pressure). If you tour you need these
Bigger electric power system

Gen 1 breaks and oil filter

I love my gen 1 and I have upgrade a lot on the bike to include BST 240, stretched it, breaks and more

Gen 1 Likes: Overall Appearance, comfort for being a 6'1" rider, unbelievable power output in every gear.

Gen 2 Likes: Everything above + better front suspension, improved tail design, even more unbelievable power output.

Gen 1 Dislikes: Suspension (Front Fork Springs Weighted for Small Chinese Boys or American Girls), Brakes suck, outdated electronics on the HUD, front fender makes changing tire absolute nightmare.

Gen 2 Dislikes: Suspension (Front Fork Springs although improved from Gen 1 still needed upgrade for performance) Brakes still sucked on my 2011, HUD so incredibly outdated the Ninja 300 has a nicer HUD, side fairing removal design is terrible, 48lb factory exhaust, change of rear brake location makes mounting rear tires a pain in the butt, front fender makes changing tire absolute nightmare.

I will say other than the lack of ability to update the HUD everything else can be easily fixed replaced to make this bike the sexy awesome beast that she is...

Like: Acceleration and roll on acceleration.
Like: Not too many of them on the road or at bike nights.
Like: One of the baddestass machines out there that allows me to pull away from almost anything.
Dislike: Lots of heat coming out of that engine especially noticeable on hot days here in SoCal.

I notice some complaining about the brakes and front suspension.
I lowered my 2000 two inches with progressive springs and the later gold fork tubes and the front suspension is stout.
I upgraded the brakes with galfer wave rotors, EBC pads, and braided lines. No complaints about the braking.

Gen 2 13'- specific

Likes....engine,handling,decent comfort,general styling, analogue clocks, easy basic servicing at home, mirrors ( simple and effective).

Dislikes...20yr old master cylinders (pain to work with and have no feel),limited dash info,price isn't competitive vs ZX14, ABS has no Off mode,far too many sections making up the fairings, headlight not as good as the Gen1, NO centre stand option, outdated OEM tyres and wooden brake pads.

generally Suzuki just seem to ignore the Busa for updates vs its rivals...waiting 4 yrs after Kawasaki to add ABS cost them sales.
In the UK the Zx14/ZZR1400 outsells the Busa 4:1.....having spoken to many of the Kwak buyers the reasons are.
1...Price vs Equipment....Kwak offers more.
2...Styling...Busa looks are a bit extreme for some.
3...Tyres...Busa feels slow and heavy in turns vs the new Kwak on sharper profile tyres.
4....Touring options ...Busa isn't as easy to kit out.
5...Suspension too firm in stock form.
6...No brakes...Kwak brakes are sharp.

You then compare the BMW K1300s with its host of electronic suspension and rider aids and the Busa just becomes so last decade.

I like how customizable the busa is. There has been a lot of trial and error tested out on these bikes. There's a ton of info and aftermarket parts available for the busa. A Lot of the issues people have disliked about the busa can be fixed or improved upon with the aftermarket parts and information available especially on this great forum :thumbsup:

Like:
Power, torque, acceleration, stability, and it just looks like a beast.
Many upgrade paths exist if desired.

Dislike:
Standard screen is useless as it blocks view of the instruments.
Brakes as OEM are a little lacking vs the bikes capabilities.

Note:
Most things people criticise are easily improved if desired.
The two biggest being:
Brakes: easily improved to various levels of performance
Suspension: if you are a solid bloke (I am) the suspension is too soft and needs work, but that is the case with every bike I have ever owned.
And anything else is easy to personalise/customise.

2011 Gen 2 Likes:
1. Looks
2. Power of course
3. Handling
4. Versatility- touring 2 up and cool sport bike
5. For me, brakes and suspension are fine
6. Reliability
Dislikes:
1. Premium gas
2. I'm always leaving turn signals on
3. Even with Helibars and Genmar riser, I'd like to raise bars another inch or so
4. Changing oil filter sucks
5. Changing rear tire
Best coolest fastest bike I've ever owned, turns heads, gets a lot of comments.

I grew tired of the riding position(have ridden many Gen1 and 2 Busas and owned a gen2 for 3.5 yrs). The reach to the bars, even with risers and heli-bars, and later a Spiegler conversion.
The tank is too long. Legroom feels cramped when riding, and I had no problem flatfooting the Busa when stopped.
The Busa feels like it was designed for someone whose arms are longer than their legs.
I'm 5'10", 173lbs(without gear)with a 70" reach. The gsxr's fit me much better, and another 1k will be my next bike.
My guess is if and when a gen3 Busa shows up, it'll be overpriced and over rated.
The Busa is a great "does everything well" bike, I enjoyed it, but I'm over it.

Back