What do you guys think?

sleepless_red

The artist formerly known as "sleeper_red"
Donating Member
Registered
Sunday morning, I went for a 300 mile ride. At around 5:00am on the beltway, there's a tractor trailer in front of me. Ok, time to pass it. Checked my mirror as I always do, I see nothing, so I went. As I was in the middle of passing it, here comes 3 sportbikes doing probably 150+ miles an hour. They were all over the place. Mind you guys, it was still dark. Two guys passed on the right side of us. But this last guy, passed inches away from me. You know, shared my lane. I NEVER saw it coming and believe me, I'm that type of rider who always check behind me all the time even when I'm not going to pass anything. I was so upset, I almost pulled over right there and dialed 911. I was just cruising enjoying my morning. Don't you guys think that's just wrong? What if there's a debris that I had to go around it at the moment he passed me? That guy could have killed or seriously injured me. What do you guys think of that? That's the first time it happened to me. I'm also that type of rider that rides for pleasure. As you all know, I have a family to come home to. That's the number one reason why I always do my best to be safe out there. But what that guy did is just not right. Don't you guys think?

I had a guy do that to me one night, and it pissed me off, but I have had it done where it didn't bother me at all. I guess it's how they do it ? 150 mph I'd be pissed !!!

I'd be pissed too. I had some squid lane share with me around a corner one time. Some people don't have a brain in their head.

Happened to me once when I was on the v twin in the left lane & pushing the speed limit a bit. Friggin guy on a R1 blew by on my left at probably 150 or better. Never saw him coming & it scared the crap out of me. I jerked/jumped so bad I thought I was going to loose the bike. If I was on the Busa I could have reeled him in & there would have been a dance.

firedevil.gif
at those speeds it scares the heck out of you when they scream past. if they are going to run that fast, they need to slow down when coming up on traffic. they don't realize that it is instinct to move away from what just scared you, so the guy passing on the other side now has even less space to get by, if he even notices that you are moving over. speeding day or night on back roads, if you come up on traffic, slow down and pass safely, then speed again.

firedevil.gif
at those speeds it scares the heck out of you when they scream past. if they are going to run that fast, they need to slow down when coming up on traffic. they don't realize that it is instinct to move away from what just scared you, so the guy passing on the other side now has even less space to get by, if he even notices that you are moving over. speeding day or night on back roads, if you come up on traffic, slow down and pass safely, then speed again.
+1
If you want to play at least have repect for others on the road. And just because there is another bike in the lane does not mean share the space with me. My lane my road stay out unless I am riding with you and we already talked about lane sharing.

You'd like to think that bike riders have a little more respect for each other, on the road, than that.

It's our 'invincible, indestructable, immortal youth' which is typically responsible for those types of actions.

Sorry for your disturbing experience, brother.

One thing though, I would never chase him down because I don't think it's worth it. I just can't see myself doing that because it will make me look more stupid than he is. But the next time someone did that to me, I'm dialing 911 and have them call all units and helicopters to get those morons off the road. It doesn't have to be them to get into an accident but it can definitely cause someone to wreck, get hurt, or maybe even die. I'm telling you guys, I felt the wind and it really startled me. I don't panic, don't get me wrong. That's one thing I don't do. But I get really pissed off because like what you guys said, people like that make us look bad out there. I don't wish for someone like that to die. I just don't think they deserve to ride or even get near a bike. Just my 2 cents. Also, thank you all for feeling for me. That just really ruined my morning ride. I go out there almost everyday this time of the year to really start the day right. But like I've said, if that happens again, I'm pulling over and call the police pronto.

i was cruising in my lane and about to "shift" to the left side of "my" lane to "eventually" switch lanes, i look back and see nothing as i prepare for my lane switch. out of nowhere a moron on a race bike comes flying by me in "my" lane, just as i was about to move into that spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freakin' morons

That kind of driving in traffic is insane to begin with.
guns.gif
Why would you expect idiots like that to show any respect
rock.gif
We have to watch our for them just like we do wreckless cagers.

Had a guy on a Harley with a b**** on the back do the same thing to me in the daytime. Just inches away. I caught up to him, put my visor up and yelled out "You dumbf*&k" as loud as I could. He wouldnt even look at me.

It's been said and I can't agree more, if you are going to play do it in a way that doesn't put others safety at risk. As for someone wanting to share my lane, that really hits a nerve with me as I often use much of the lane to avoid things in the road, seams, holes etc. I shouldn't have to look in my mirror before making an adjustment to what part of MY lane I'm going to ride in. My cure for that, I make note of the rider and the plate if I can and look them up and have a little talk with them later. I also agree not worth running them down just to address it, that only puts me at their level.

One thing though, I would never chase him down because I don't think it's worth it. I just can't see myself doing that because it will make me look more stupid than he is. But the next time someone did that to me, I'm dialing 911 and have them call all units and helicopters to get those morons off the road. It doesn't have to be them to get into an accident but it can definitely cause someone to wreck, get hurt, or maybe even die. I'm telling you guys, I felt the wind and it really startled me. I don't panic, don't get me wrong. That's one thing I don't do. But I get really pissed off because like what you guys said, people like that make us look bad out there. I don't wish for someone like that to die. I just don't think they deserve to ride or even get near a bike. Just my 2 cents. Also, thank you all for feeling for me. That just really ruined my morning ride. I go out there almost everyday this time of the year to really start the day right. But like I've said, if that happens again, I'm pulling over and call the police pronto.
The sad thing is, if you called the police, the kids doing 150mph would be long gone, and the cops would end up blaming YOU. I find that no good ever comes from calling law enforcement.

How f'd up is it that law abiding citizens are afraid of the police?? You know who isn't afraid of the police?? Criminals aren't.

Those guys are much worse than the usual LLB's (left lane bandits). I'd probably reel them in and nail one of them with the short heavy bolts I carry when shooting them wouldn't be "socially acceptable". A nice dent in the tank will cause them grief.

Even if you get their license plate the cops will say "but WE didn't see it".

Just let it go, they will end up roadkill down the line.
I was about to change into a HOV lane in Dallas one night, & right as the space opened up, I put on my blinker & started over. I caught a flash of light & 2 bikes passed me doing well over 100. They had jumped the line before the HOV lane even started - close call.

Just let it go, they will end up roadkill down the line.
I was about to change into a HOV lane in Dallas one night, & right as the space opened up, I put on my blinker & started over. I caught a flash of light & 2 bikes passed me doing well over 100. They had jumped the line before the HOV lane even started - close call.
Hey mph 200, what's HOV stand for ?

Two guys passed on the right side of us. But this last guy, passed inches away from me. You know, shared my lane. I NEVER saw it coming and believe me, I'm that type of rider who always check behind me all the time even when I'm not going to pass anything.
Wait, were you passing on the right side of the truck then because you stated 'two guys passed on the right side of us'? Is the beltway 3 lanes or 2 and which lanes were you and the truck in? Looks like you were both in the left or middle lane.

Also, unless you just passed over a crest behind you where you couldn't see them coming up on you I don't see how you couldn't see them coming even at 150 mph if you looked just prior to attempting your pass.

Don't be mistaken, these guys were definitely in the wrong passing at those speeds and not something you would expect at 5:00 AM. I'm just not clear you did everything correct to avoid this event by looking immediately before passing and passing on the proper side and learn what you can from this to avoid it happening in the future.

Back