What are your modes and controls set at?

I was under the impression that the U modes were just saveable modes for the rider to select.. as if you make a change to A, B or C modes they will revert to factory settings after you cycle the key… U modes won’t unless you do the factory reset…

I was under that impression also but the bike just didn't feel fast in A mode so I started messing around and looking at each setting. If they aren't off then the computer is still reducing power in some form. It's not nearly as snappy as the U setting with everything but the QS turned off.

On a roadcourse you may not be faster but for those at the dragstrip or doing top speed runs you want every bit you can out of it until the ECU is unrestricted.

I don't have a Gen 3 but my BMW has every nanny assist possible and it's a much better bike for it. First. no human can sense and make the decisions necessary to prevent high-sides. Look at the pros on two strokes. Nobody who has seat time pushing a powerful bike to the limit hasn't had it spit them skyward at some point. So if you can control the bike without TC, you do it by not using all of the power.

As for brakes, both my BMWs had impeccable braking with ABS and cornering compensation. They were both at least the equal of my GP4's on the Busa. Now Suzuki is not known for great brakes, so maybe they just suck. But when you think about it if the brakes are wooden and lack feel, what better reason to have ABS?

Why does ABS suck on the track? Because track braking is completely different than street braking. You know precisely where you are going to stop on track, no surprises. Ever pass someone on the brakes? It's pretty hard to make brakes smart enough to recognize the finer points of braking in race conditions. Not so on the street where the primary role for your calipers is stopping.

So, turning off the nanny controls does not mean you are ripping it up, it means you are probably being overly cautious with the throttle and brakes. Yes @sixpack577 , this means you :poke:

I Can however ride faster on a motorcycle that I feel like I'm in control of, vs it having little feel or feedback.
And, Me...overly cautious,...my careless abandon from MX transferred directly to the street.
I am little more resevred with some more age and a kid...but I can still throw down, lol

I will use it in Austria and other places where they can confiscate your bike for serious speeding. Just a precaution against getting carried away in populated areas.

BTW I'm putting my deposit down tomorrow for a black-orange Gen3!
The advice I was given when I bought my bike is always have a full tank of gas and a good exit strategy in case blue lights get in your mirrors...

I was under the impression that the U modes were just saveable modes for the rider to select.. as if you make a change to A, B or C modes they will revert to factory settings after you cycle the key… U modes won’t unless you do the factory reset…
Yep, I just use the factory default settings which is A power and is full power and I think 1 on TC, no engine braking and I forget what else. I think Keith is right about U modes which are user modes or custom settings.

That's how I understand it too. There are 3 programmable "U" modes where the user can dial in the settings they want depending on if you're carrying a passenger or riding in the rain, etc. This is so you don't have to toggle through the entire menu every time to set stuff up the way you want it.
In a way, there are so many choices that it's a bit confusing.

I Can however ride faster on a motorcycle that I feel like I'm in control of, vs it having little feel or feedback.
And, Me...overly cautious,...my careless abandon from MX transferred directly to the street.
I am little more resevred with some more age and a kid...but I can still throw down, lol
Yes, this is true. I remember an article on rider aids for MotoGP. Many said that the rider aids help immensely but don't allow lesser riders to be better. This is apparently because there is a methodology to riding fast with TC that is very difficult to master. You have to be super consistent with the throttle and trust the electronics. A lot of the guys now have ridden their entire lives with TC, so they really know how to get the max out of it so the TC doesn't compromise the speed.

Yes, this is true. I remember an article on rider aids for MotoGP. Many said that the rider aids help immensely but don't allow lesser riders to be better. This is apparently because there is a methodology to riding fast with TC that is very difficult to master. You have to be super consistent with the throttle and trust the electronics. A lot of the guys now have ridden their entire lives with TC, so they really know how to get the max out of it so the TC doesn't compromise the speed.
The TT guys know how to ride the the throttle that way...twist wide open, and hold there until the race is over, lol, basically.

I was under that impression also but the bike just didn't feel fast in A mode so I started messing around and looking at each setting. If they aren't off then the computer is still reducing power in some form. It's not nearly as snappy as the U setting with everything but the QS turned off.
This is interesting. How sure are you of this?
Sure enough to post I suppose.
Perhaps the extra snappiness is attributable solely just as a result of everything turned off.

Last edited:
This is interesting. How sure are you of this?
Sure enough to post I suppose.
Perhaps the extra snappiness is attributable solely just as a result of everything turned off.
I need to draggy test it to verify my thoughts but personally it feels different. Power wheelies sure seem easier in U1 with everything off but go try it and see for yourself what you think..

If you aren't using the U1/2/3 modes with custom settings then you're never really getting full power.

Unless I missed something in my reading, even A mode has some form of reduced power. At some point I'll get out with my draggy and provide data on all the settings.
Just hit me up with a text, and tell me where I can get the best settings for the best power. Until, of course, we can edit. Then we won't need modes.

Lol...yeah...there's a difference. Wooden brakes, no feel or feedback, it's like the bike is taking you for a ride. I took a 45mph curve around 60mph, no guardrail, 80-100' sheer drop 1' from road's edge. I thought TC was off...it was on 6...that is the one time in over 3 decades of riding that I thought I was done. Stupid BS is Terrifieng, I had no feel of control or braking, it was pray, lean more left, and curse Suzuki relentlessly ever since. 2 types of riders need this ****, the elite(TT, MotoGP, etc) that literally can go no faster without them...and the guy with no business near a motorcycle, who needs saved from himself. Again, it's all in the wrist.
Lol...yeah...there's a difference.
Wooden brakes, no feel or feedback, it's like the bike is taking you for a ride.
I took a 45mph curve around 60mph, no guardrail, 80-100' sheer drop 1' from road's edge.
I thought TC was off...it was on 6...that is the one time in over 3 decades of riding that I thought I was done.
Stupid BS is Terrifieng, I had no feel of control or braking, it was pray, lean more left, and curse Suzuki relentlessly ever since.
2 types of riders need this ****, the elite(TT, MotoGP, etc) that literally can go no faster without them...and the guy with no business near a motorcycle, who needs saved from himself.
Again, it's all in the wrist.
Wooden brakes, no feel or feedback, it's like the bike is taking you for a ride.
I took a 45mph curve around 60mph, no guardrail, 80-100' sheer drop 1' from road's edge.
I thought TC was off...it was on 6...that is the one time in over 3 decades of riding that I thought I was done.
Stupid BS is Terrifieng, I had no feel of control or braking, it was pray, lean more left, and curse Suzuki relentlessly ever since.
2 types of riders need this ****, the elite(TT, MotoGP, etc) that literally can go no faster without them...and the guy with no business near a motorcycle, who needs saved from himself.
Ciao Sixpack577
Ciao sixpack577,sorry my poor english, but can you explain better why you were in serious danger with TC on 6. Thank a lot

I agree, but may be useful for lots of highway, as it's So Easy to do 100mph and not even realize it.
I know it has cruise control too, but it might keep you out of jail...me, I'de use the power to to avoid talking to 'the man' at all.
:D
Virginia State still chases right?

I am right outside DC where 95 and 495 meet. I do the 120mph slow dance on 495 and stay my ass on the MD side
Im familiar with the area. I lived in Landover for about 15 years. I cannot stand 495 loll. 95 and 50 are two highways that I usually like do some spirited riding.

Back