What are the best upgrades for the money?

OB_easyrider

Registered
For an upgrade path with a limited budget what is best to do first and how much will it cost.
For example, is it better to do the airbox mod, pipe and new computer first.
What would be next? What about going to lighter rims, what performance per buck would that give.
I know we have gone over some of these things earlier, but after some time I would like to know what the best bang for the buck is with a limited progressive budget.
Thanks,

A cheap and funtional change would be a Zero Gravity windscreen. It really helps the bike at highway speeds and above, much quieter and a better view of the gauges. Radar detectors are a good initial investment as a drivers liscense is needed to ride these bikes and reckless driving charges are capable in just first gear alone(85mph).

A better set of tires is an alternative that doesn't affect any warranty issues. The stock Bridgestones are very slippery over tar patch material. The Michelin Pilots are very sticky while being designed for everyday street use(they work in the rain).

Engine mods are something that should be planned out a litte as far as how deep the pocket book is. In 99 we had a trickle of parts available and in 2000 the ground has been tilled and we are just seeing the beginning of what is starting to work. Nobody has produced a pipe only mod that nets big changes, the DynoJet PCII has only a limited selection of maps on the CD.

The ZX12 people will have to suffer through the same as we did last year, Rome was not built in a day and nor are the parts that work.

PATIENCE or other wise known as "Hurry up and Wait" must be exercised with first year bike s no matter what color they are.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 17 October 1999).]

I'm happy with mine the way it is. The only replacement I am considering is the ZeroGravity bubble, I like that design. Even though I am happy with the Bridgestones, I am willing to replace them with the Pilots, when the time comes.

Everything else works just fine (after recall repairs), looks, body, power, color, all is there in a great package, that's why I bought it.

I'm saving my money for a 2000 corvette, heheh

[This message has been edited by Waltman (edited 18 October 1999).]

For starters, great topic!

I'm interested in the Double Bubble and Pilots as well...

I've been wondering how well the Pilots were doing, but wouldn't change before the current skins wear out...same with a new chain.

The seat upgrade is a possibility (Corbin probably) and some pipes (Akropovic?) are a possibility.

Based on Don's recommendation (RoadDog...I guess we know now why he is called that...that guy goes to ALOT of races and bike rallys), I think the GenMar will be a MUST as well.

A tail conversion kit is an idea, since the custom fender is just crap. The FreeStyle MotoDesigns stuff looks sharp.

A radar detector is a given...think it will have to be the Valentine. Although a wireless is interesting thought, I used to sell electronics (including detectors) and there is just nothing out there that competes with the Valentine.

That's about all I plan on thinking about.

BigDog

Be more specific with your wants.
1. Cosmetic upgrade--Huggers, windscreen (ok the windscreen has an important function, but you won't go faster.)
2. Performance- handling/traction (tires)
3. Peformance- engine Horse Power / Elapsed Times

Your post seemed to lean towards the Performance side with your comments of lighter rims/computer.

You will not make any significant Horsepower gains for less than $700-$1000. Pipe/remap

Whats your flavor son?
Try searching the mods forum a little as well
Bob

Leave the motor alone-
Gen-mar Riser, and a fresh DIDVM chain and some good (stock gearing)sprockets combined with a Zero Gravity Double Bouble wind screen are all your new bussa will need-Some bags maybe, thats it.
ducmanic Los Angeles

You can do the air box mod without significant cost. Also you can drill out the stock cans for the cost of a long drill. Both these mods are described in detail here. Just do a search. The first money I would spend would be for a PCII and a dyno run to get the bike set up properly. It sounds to me like some decent tires should be next. If you're tall or have an old back, Genmar risers. Next for me will be steel brakelines and pads. The schnitz clutch sounds like something to do if you race or street race. Also frame and bar sliders will save more than they cost. If I can sweet talk my wife I'll try for a set of Dymags.
Next summer I am going to do a racing school.

Never forget that this is a never ending pasttime. The money that you can put into this sport never ends.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 18 October 1999).]

* Recall fixes, Service Bulletins
* Airbox Mod
* 16 tooth front sprocket/chain
* Drill cans (or see pipe below)
* Braided brake lines
* ZeroGravity bubble
* Tires (D207 or Pilots)
* PowerCommander
* Pipe/remap - i'm told by John at Klaus
Speedworks in Houston that the ONLY pipes.
that produce HP are from Yoshimura. I
asked specifically about Akropovic and
he shows a decrease in HP on the dyno.
Besides, he says the most you'll get
is around 6-8HP from Yosh.
* Head rework - get perf gains here.

The bike, as is, is potent. Doing the pipes (4->1) will reduce weight and add a little HP. PowerCommander/Head work would be next.
Put the braided brake lines on to stop it :)

Good luck

I disagree that you need $1000 to go faster.
This is an excellent bike for mods at all levels of cost.
I'm with Crazy Bill, unless you want to go 180 mph the front sprocket is a good cheap idea.

If you decide on an exhaust system you must go with the Akrapovic Stainless. Most power, least noise, and it's more then a worthy addition cosmetically to the Baddest bike ever built. If you need a price, try to email me @

robertpmurphy@bellatlantic.com

wanna feel the power for little to no money . do the airbox mod and get a 16 tooth front sprocket (about 30.00 total). next get a powercommander2 (300.00). youll get quite a bit more kick out of those mods. pipe would be next but to tell you the truth the stock exhaust is great too . i put a micron on after i laid my bike down and scratched up a muffler. you can drill your cans too (about 15.00).

alot of other people have some pretty good dyno numbers from other pipes. i dont think the yosh is the only way to go. i had a choice and went with a micron instead. bikes at the dyno shop right now so ill give you some factual info by friday. dynojet felt strong enough about the micron to give it its own map on the pc2.

I know how you can make your Hayabusa turn much tighter, brake much harder and handle much better in every department for as little as $200.

Go to a performance riding school, and do it every year.

YOU are the most cost-effective performance and safety upgrade you can make, no matter what sport bike you ride.

Rite On DP! I can't argue about a thing on that one! I hope certain partys in particular can dig this...is why Sensei is "faster" than me even though his bike is a slug compared to ours...how ever, the tire change would seem to me to be the most signifigent upgrade you could start with followed by wheels and brakes...I guess it depends on what you are looking for...thats what I plan to change first...What is the hot suspension up grade for this bike?

John at Klaus Speedworks isnt exactly up to date...... Just check all the others who have got exellent results from Acrapovic pipes.
But hey...maybye he only sell Yoshimura :)

Back