Well...I really did it this time.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Yeah after yesterday I remembered why I don't leave you unsupervised!! Sigh...sux man

I screwed up the threads on my oil pan just a month ago. I overtorqued it and didn't replace the crush washer. But for $20.00 the Hole Shoppe installed a heli coil, $10.00 for an oil pan gasket, and $3.00 for an oil cooler line o-ring. Dropping the oil pan yourself is easy, and it'll save you a lot of money. If the threads are really screwed up they can retap it, but then you'll have an off size plug and crush washer.

on the last stripped oil pan thread someone mentioned that they stripped it while torquing it to the spec 16.5 ft lbs. I personally start it by hand and once it makes contact with the pan tighten just a little bit more with a 17mm wrench.

good luck

Damn that sucks.  I'll be changing the oil on my busa in the near future and I hope I don't do the same.
Torque wrench. It may take a little more time in the short run....but you can see what you save in the long
wink.gif

I overtorqued it and didn't replace the crush washer.  
Speaking of the crush washer...how do I get that puppy off the bolt?...mine is really smashed on there so she drips a bit and won't seal. I was afraid I would mess the threads up on the bolt gett'in it off. I hope that's not a stupid question but what Hell, I thought I would ask anyhow.

Just one more reason I don't mess with anything on my bike myself. I'd rather pay the dealer to do that messy stuff. My clients come to me because I know what I'm doing and I take my stuff to those others who know their stuff.

Just one more reason I don't mess with anything on my bike myself. I'd rather pay the dealer to do that messy stuff. My clients come to me because I know what I'm doing and I take my stuff to those others who know their stuff.
I wish it really worked that way cause' I'd be having someone else do all my work. Unfortunately I've been around long enough to find out if you want something done right you'd better do it yourself otherwise its gonna get busted/scratched/parts left loose/1 thing fixed 2 broken ect. And when my lifes riding on the machine I won't trust some lackadaisical idjut who aint getting paid enough to care about my life to work on my bike. As you can tell I'm thoroughly disgusted with the work ethic and pride of workmanship (or lack of
mad.gif
) of the folks I've dealt with in my life....and I've dealt with alot. So I just do all my own work and my bike runs and looks perfect....lol, oh well my loss.
wink.gif

Y'know, if you'd just spilled oil all over the garage floor, I'd've laughed my azz off!

Bummer, though, when you cost yourself some $$$.

--Wag--

I've used a really small standard screwdriver and dikes to remove the old crushed washer.

Everytime I've taken it to a dealer(many different dealers), they always end up scrathing something, missing hardware, or worse. If I can do it myself and it isn't too time consuming, I'll do it myself.

I've used a really small standard screwdriver and dikes to remove the old crushed washer.

Everytime I've taken it to a dealer(many different dealers), they always end up scrathing something, missing hardware, or worse.  If I can do it myself and it isn't too time consuming, I'll do it myself.
Good deal...next oil change I'll get that puppy off there and replace it...Thanks...I hear ya about the dealer screwing up...I would rather do it myself but sometimes I don't know what the hell I'm doing (well, actually most of the time) so I end up going to the shop...it's hard to find a good one that's for sure.

i myself do alot of mistakes but with the help of this message board i could do most of the stuff by my self. it is cheaper and better then taking your bike to a dealer

Back