Well...I really did it this time.

wizeguy

Registered
It has become appearent to me that my life is speckled with moments of sheer genious and enginuity.  It just happens that this was not one of those times.

I decided I would change my oil yesterday.  Everything was going as planned until I thought it would be smart to use a very large 1/2" drive ratchet to put my drain plug back in.  Thats right...and I did not finger start the plug.  I commenced to cross thread the entire thing as I easily ratcheted the plug with my king kong sized ratchet.  

Now I am looking at $250.00 in repairs to raplace the oil pan and appropriate parts.  It really made me frigg'n mad but I figured y'all could use a good chuckle this morning.

Merry Christmas to the idiot eh?

<!--EDIT|wizeguy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133528532 -->

Dayum wize guy that sux. I did my oil yesterday too and was thinking as I put the plug back in, "please don't strip the threads, please don't strip the threads". I even pull out the tourqie wrench to tighten to 16.5 ftlbs.

I did however still manage to get oil from filter on headers even with the aluminum foil tip.
mad.gif

Hate that for you. You may wan't to check out some of the oversize plugs available for such a problem. May save you some $$ and fix the problem. Got one for my friends Honda at the local auto parts store, and it worked great.

Hearing a lot about stripped plugs lately.
Heli-coil, it it will be better than new.
And sorry to hear of your misfortune.

yes napa sells them about 3 bucks just fixed one for a customer last week on a katana .napa calls them self tappers just take your plug in and they will give you one that is slightly bigger and just run it up in

Damn that sucks. I'll be changing the oil on my busa in the near future and I hope I don't do the same.

I always start the plug by hand, making sure it's screwing in properly, then with a SMALL rachet, snug it up hardly more than hand tight. You'd be surprised, it won't leak as long as you have that crush washer on the plug.

Dayum wize guy that sux. I did my oil yesterday too and was thinking as I put the plug back in, "please don't strip the threads, please don't strip the threads". I even pull out the tourqie wrench to tighten to 16.5 ftlbs.

I did however still manage to get oil from filter on headers even with the aluminum foil tip.
mad.gif
+1. Sorry you had to learn the hard way wiseguy. I broke a few bolts before I learned the value of using a torque wrench. There should be enough meat around the drain plug to go oversized.

Sorry to hear champ...But you're not the first and not the last..

Ouchieeee, you could do the heli-coil thing or take it to a machine shop to re-tap it for ya...

MAN REALLLY do not feel bad. i did that so many times. now i found a crack on the engine (not sure what is the cause) i have to pull the engine out. i managed to break the screw that hold the engine. so just take it easy, i am sure you could fix it for less then 250.

Experience learned.. its always in the back of my mind.. what if .. possibility .. im sure you will get it sorted out.

Sorry  
sad.gif
 to hear about that ! But if you do your own work you will eventually break something, hopefully not something real expensive. If you work on bikes, you definently will break something and it will be expensive. I've never broken anything cheap  
down.gif
, but that's just me. All the cheap parts I drop or pull on, never break  
tounge.gif
 only the REAL EXPENSIVE parts
laugh.gif

Back