oil pan

busamac1300

Registered
Was ready to change oil took off bolt, I think I turned it the wrong way at first, but then went the other way and got it off. When I put it back on it will not get tight. I can hand tighten it, and soon as I use the ratchet to tighten it just spins loosely. Can this be fixed, or do I need a new oil pan?

Need a Heli Coil kit...........or Just use it as an excuse to get a Nice Billet Aluminum pan with a Windage tray in it from APE or Brock....
Stock pans are about $90 New from Dealer...........But if you are going to do it and can afford it get a Billet pan

That's one expensive oil change!! :poke:

You can try to HeliCoil it, hope that it doesn't seep. Good luck with it.

That's one expensive oil change!! :poke:

You can try to HeliCoil it, hope that it doesn't seep. Good luck with it.

All you have to do is take the pan off...clean it really well...use red Loctite
on the Heli Coil insert. Let it dry for a few hours, re install the pan with a
new gasket...it will not leak :thumbsup:

Had the same problem, Got a pan from goldenchild now it's like new.
Oh forgot to say.... yeah it's stripped.

thats what I figured, I'll just get a new one. Hopefully that wont be hard to install. I was putting a new clutch kit on, and switching over to AMSOIL for the first time. You learn from your mistakes right. Thanks guys

I did this repair on a friend's Busa and this is what I found out in the process. FIRST, there's only so much meat to tap into around the drain hole so a Helicoil isn't, maybe, your best choice. SECOND, only a small amount of the pan material will actually grab the helicoil as the sleeve that sticks up has to have a slot cut into it for proper draining.

I discovered that a Timesert, or steel sparkplug repair thread (which looks exactly the same in most respects, might be one of two better choices for this repair because they are both "one-piece" units. Once installed, you can flatten the outside to match the natural pan dimensions for drain plug / washer sealing, AND (here's the best part) the inside can be match-cut to the inside of the pan for optimal oil drainage.

I got a hold of a machine shop here in Vegas that does this service all the time, and $50 later I had a stronger threaded pan that will never leave the bottom of his engine for the same reason unless he torques the drain plug "WAY" past 16.5 ft/lbs...shall we say 100 ft/lbs ????......No really.....

The problem with the factory arrangement is that they should have threaded the aluminum pan with steel threads to match your drain plug's threads. Too many in-and-outs for oil changes and the aluminum threads simply get soft and worn, UNLESS you are critically careful about oil changes, which none of us are.......

Call a couple motorcycle shops, ask them who they use, call that shop and I'll bet he's doing the same basic thing with a steel insert. Machinist's are usually pretty savvy about installing things like these, respective to their intended use and abuse potential.....you'll never have this problem again.

Get a new pan gasket, get the pan repaired properly, and torque the little 8mm headed bolts to 1kg when finished with a little blue loctite on them and it's a DONE DEAL Bruddah !!! :super: :super: :super:

You drain plug thread is 14M (mm)X1.25M(mm).............or 14Mx1.25 :oldcool:

I have seen the helicoil solutions at advance autopart #5334-14 for 30 bucks looks pretty straight forward.

The guy there also told me that they make a self tapping plug to replace the 14x1.25 that has 1.75 threads that needs no tools, it taps itself on the way in. Going to check this option out at parts plus tomorrow before I spend a benji on a new pan and gasket.

Oh dear "GOD" no.....a 1.75 will just stress the metal. Besides the thread diameter is the same on the outside of the thread. Find a machine shop that does Timeserts, and a $9 gasket and you're gravy Bruddah.... :super:

Back