Do I really need this wrench?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I decided to do the oil change myself, and I see in the service manual that I need this wrench. I have the oil and the filter, and now I need a special wrench just to change the filter?

Reminds me of my wife's V6 Camry. They say to take the intake manifold off to change the back three plugs.

Floyd

OilWrench.jpg

No you don't need that but you will probably, at a minimum, need an adjustable filter wrench of some type. You can get the ones that look similar to pliers at auto zone that work fine.

Thanks for the info. It says to hand tighten and then turn two full turns. That seems really tight to me. I hand tighten the filters on my other vehicles.

Just buy a K&N filter next time. They come with a 17mm nut on the end of them.
I've never really liked cups because they has a tendency to pop off when you twist them and apply force.
If you can turn that with a wrench than you can turn a metal strap wrench.

It's like $4 at the suki store or auto store. It really is important to get it torqued down hard enough. I bought an F4i off a guy once and he said he had just changed the oil/filter a couple weeks before. Couple weeks of owning it, topped out in a group ride in 6th gear, the filter came off! Obviously blowing the motor and spraying the couple guys behind me with oil. NOT GOOD, torque yours down to spec.

Mine came off by hand but to get off a bigger set of channel locks works fine.I bought k&n filters which have a not on the end to use a wrench on.

Thanks for the info. It says to hand tighten and then turn two full turns. That seems really tight to me. I hand tighten the filters on my other vehicles.

It actually says to tighten 2 full turns after you feel the oil filter gasket contact the mounting surface.

These make every oil change easy! No matter what machine you are changing filters on..

02820523000-2.jpg

1 14mm crush washer and a decent torque wrench for the drain bolt! Torque is 16.5 ft lbs. Too many " I stripped my oil pan" threads here already.

No, I spin mine off hot with my hand and spin the new one back on the same way, many, many oil changes and no leaks. On the factory filters I had to use a large pair of channel locks. They have a gorilla at the factory :laugh:

PS I've owned two new Busi and have changed the oil filter every change and I have never seen the filter shown in that picture. Never had the little nut at the end.

Buy that wrench. Getting the filter off is one thing, but putting a new filter on TWO FULL TURNS is another. I practically crushed the can trying to use channel lock-style oil filter wrench the first time I did it and gave up at 1-3/4 turns. And, yes, I have several other types of oil filter wrenches.

You can get a kit of 4 sizes made from aluminum from Harbor Freight, $5.99 plus shipping.
4 Piece End Cap Oil Filter Wrenches
These make the job a thousand times easier.

The K&N filter is also nice and convenient, but the tests show it doesn't compare to the Suzuki filter which is usually cheaper anyway.

It does not say hand tighten then 2 full turns. It says turn on until the gasket touches the block then 2 full turns.

It does not say hand tighten then 2 full turns. It says turn on until the gasket touches the block then 2 full turns.

I just did this saturday. I like the K&N because it's got that bolt head on it make it easy to tighten, and has numbers on the side so you can count the 2 full turns. 2 full turns from "gasket touching" is plenty tight (I actually thing 1.5 would have been enough, but it's all about "when the gasket touches". 2 turns from hand tight would be WAAY TOO TIGHT).

Also, tip: take a permanent marker and put the date and mileage on the filter where you can see it after installed; makes it an easy reminder of when you need to change it again....

It's like $4 at the suki store or auto store. It really is important to get it torqued down hard enough. I bought an F4i off a guy once and he said he had just changed the oil/filter a couple weeks before. Couple weeks of owning it, topped out in a group ride in 6th gear, the filter came off! Obviously blowing the motor and spraying the couple guys behind me with oil. NOT GOOD, torque yours down to spec.

$4.00 is OK. Good to know about the torque. Thanks.

Floyd

Back