And tightening the oil filter?

My dad is a mechanical engineer(I'm just a simpleton with a 2yr technical degree in auto mechanics) but I understand the engineering mind. I was raised to go by the manual, and adhere to specifications. That is the best way to do things, but I assure you that you are over thinking the oil filter. Hand tight, as snug as it will go without trying to ring it off(which is almost impossible by hand). It will not come off, or be over tightened when snugged by hand. Ask an ASE certified master tech and I will guarantee you they will tell you to hand tighten an oil filter.
With all due respect, you seem to be putting too much thought in how tight it should be, as opposed to a smaller filter not capable of performing the same as stock...and just to save a few bucks.???

My dad is a mechanical engineer(I'm just a simpleton with a 2yr technical degree in auto mechanics) but I understand the engineering mind. I was raised to go by the manual, and adhere to specifications. That is the best way to do things, but I assure you that you are over thinking the oil filter. Hand tight, as snug as it will go without trying to ring it off(which is almost impossible by hand). It will not come off, or be over tightened when snugged by hand. Ask an ASE certified master tech and I will guarantee you they will tell you to hand tighten an oil filter.
With all due respect, you seem to be putting too much thought in how tight it should be, as opposed to a smaller filter not capable of performing the same as stock...and just to save a few bucks.???
Agreed about over thinking it, but then I am an engineer! Still, you would be hard pressed to turn a Suzuki filter two full turns by hand per the manual, even if you could get your hands around it!

Agreed about over thinking it, but then I am an engineer! Still, you would be hard pressed to turn a Suzuki filter two full turns by hand per the manual, even if you could get your hands around it!

:rofl::thumbsup: The reason the manual suggests 2 full turns is so you will strip the threads, thus bringing it to your dealer for a $2k repair:laugh: But seriously, 2 full turns is ridiculous. I'll follow a manual for torque specs, engine clearances and the such, but alot of the methods(car and bike manauls alike)are excessive. I find alot extra steps in removing parts that don't need to come off to access others(in general) so there is a time and place for good judgement and old fashioned common sense:beerchug:
Hand tight:poke:

Back