Oil light stays on longer right after oil change?

The Big Red One

Registered
Just wanted some feedback from you fellow Busa owners. It seems that right after my oil/filter change my oil light stayed on for quite abit. Its the first time I've changed both filter and oil (600 mile service), but it seemed like the oil light took forever to go out...I don't remeber my other bikes taking quite that long. It was prolly only 6-7 seconds but it seemed longer than I'm used to. Is that normal for the Busa's? I did drain the oil and didn't have a filter wrench to change the filter with so I put the drain plug back in and left it empty for a day or 2 till I could get a wrench. That shouldn't have mattered any tho I don't think. Any feedback is appreciated
biggrin.gif

Hmm, I dunno doesn't really make any sense. I don't think it's normal either. My Oil light does not stay on at all. I cannot say for all busa's though. I would check your oil level and make certain it's where it should be otherwise, I dunno...

My oil light also stays on right after an oil change...of course this happens to ALL cars and motorcycles but on the Busa it's a little longer than normal. I've never timed it but 5 to 7 seconds sounds about right and it's nothing to worry about. Just don't rev the engine during that time. Probably the biggest factor is the oil pressure switch and what pressure it's designed to open and close at.

I've owned nothing but Honda's in the past and their oil lights DO turn off faster after an oil change.

What I like about my Honda CXT's is that I can turn the emergency kill switch off and still crank over the engine without it starting. Right after an oil change I just push the start button in and crank the engine over for about 10 seconds and the oil light turns off.

Too bad the Busa can't do that as it makes me feel better "priming" the engine at a low starter speed before actually starting it.

Hey TT, Are you talking everytime you start a car or bike or only right after an Oil Change?

I'm thinking he means on that initial startup right after the change, in which case 5-7 seconds seems about normal with mine. NEVER comes on after initial post-change start up, though...

Hey TT, Are you talking everytime you start a car or bike or only right after an Oil Change?
quit post whoring, rev... read the subject you'll get your answer!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
blues.gif

The oil light usually stays on a little longer after an oil change especially if the oil filter was changed too... The oil pump needs to pump oil thru the filter to the main gallery where the oil pressure switch is.

Maybe check your idle too... If it's a little low, the pressure build up is a little slower. From the manual
1150 +/- 50rpm (E-18 model/Switzerland)
1150 +/- 100rpm for all others.

just buggin
smile.gif
just cause u have 1400 more posts than me
tounge.gif

Check yur oil level again. The light should not stay on longer after an oil change.

YES the light does stay on longer after an oil change. Iced mentioned why. When the oil is drained you just lost your level between the supply and pickup so why wouldn't the light stay on longer until the oil is brought back up to the pump and the entire system pressurized?

If you'd like I can take before and after pics of my oil pressure lights or gauges on my other bikes and cars and prove that every engine from a Corvair and Corvette to a modern Toyota or new Ford E250 takes at the very least 5 seconds for the pressure to build up right after an oil change. We're talking everything from classics to brand new, domestic and foreign.

Lastly the oil pressure switch doesn't care what the oil "LEVEL" is in the crankcase, it's not a gas gauge. It can be a quart low and as long as there is enough to reach the pick up and pressurize the system the light is going to go off. Drop it to a point that it's sucking air from the sump or dumping out an excessive amount from an worn bearing, then you'll lose pressure and the oil light will turn on.

After a long oil drain--including a filter change ---My oil pressure light also seems to take abit longer to turn off.....longer than any other bike i have had..But once it's done...no problems...
18K and beat on..some of the time..Runs better now than ever...Broken in finally?

Hey guys thanks a ton for the info....I figured that was prolly normal but I wanted to be sure....man do I LUVVV this forum....whooooohooooo
laugh.gif
And Turbo thats a great suggestion about priming a motor with the kill switch when possible...thanks. I owned a Seca Turbo that I upped the boost on....what a hoot that bike was....I almost picked up a Honda 500 and then a 650 Turbo...once you've been boosted it hooks you for life I think
wink.gif
of course you already know that....as would NE
tounge.gif
I'm planning on eventually boosting my Busa....I'm drooling now as I think about it....man thats gonna be fun
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back