Wear your gear - a reminder

Copied from another board - ATGATT

Photos here at original post

the lessons from my mistake (somewhat graphic, be careful)

So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty damn rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had damn well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a jackass that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a damn good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

Dude, I hope you and your girls recovery goes well. I am not gonna flame, but dude hopefully you are taking your own words of advice and learning from them. Hind sight is always 20/20. Live and learn, you and her ARE not dead thank god, so use it as a learning experience.

I appreciate your honesty I'm sure almost everyone here has done something even dumber and gotten away with it, I know I have. I hope the lady with you heals as if the accident never happened . Taking responsability is a big step forward. I am not about to tell you how to feel, but could have, would have, should have, is a dark and unproductive place to live, this I know. I hope the two of you heal both physically and mentally. Someone who is reading this now may make a better decision in the future. As for myself I doubt I ever take my hump off again.

Jesus dude your story sounds like something I would prolly post soon...I never gear up beyond my lid unless its cold, or jus feel like it. nor never for five little blocks, but wow, I hate that you had to go through this bro, but sleep better knowing it helped...:bowdown:

That sucks !!

I have friends (girls) that ask me for rides sometimes, but I always use the "I don't have my back seat with me" excuse. I even have my buddies that ask me to give their girl friends rides. I told one guy "yeah you want me to do it, but when something goes wrong you will be the one that's the most pissed at me". I use to ride my wife when we were together, and that even scared the crap out of me.

200908041906155121.gif

ATGATT even when I roast to death and get grief from my squid peers. I dress for the crash as well as the ride! Great post Michael, your Busa back to like new?

Dave

Dave,
I am still riding her rashy, just can't find any 2000 blue/silver plastics. My fuel pump went out 2 weeks ago too. - Crap. The mirrors work great - thanks.

THIS POST WAS NOT ME - I FOUND IT ON ANOTHER BOARD. I WEAR FULL LEATHERS EVERY TIME I RIDE.

THIS POST WAS NOT ME - I FOUND IT ON ANOTHER BOARD. I WEAR FULL LEATHERS EVERY TIME I RIDE.

Michael and I always wear our gear - we like the skin we live in. Besides, why would I want to ride with him, when I've got my own bikes??? :laugh:

Great reminder. I am supposed to ride someone next week who is new to the game. They will be wearing my other jacket and helmets for sure at least.

Man, I thought you looked young for 44. I thought you ment you coppied from another org that you post on. I kind of feel like a dumb a$$ not. This too shall pass.

I won't ride to the mailbox without gear. Hope you both heal up and make a scarless recovery.

My crash was similar to that guy. Riding to a buddies house to safety wire the bike and have dinner. Had the GF (Now wife! She stuck around!) on the back. Outrode my headlight in the dark, found out that the muffler is the first hard part that hits the ground, and away we go.

Luckily we had gear on, everything but riding pants. It's a short easy ride, right? My right knee is still screwed up, two and a half years later, and it didn't take the hardest impact.

Wear your gear kids, I really feel for that guy, I partly know how he feels. Fortunately Angela didn't get hurt.

Back