Do your wives ride?

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, my wife started getting interested in bikes after I got my Busa. She wants to take the MSF course for her birthday present. We even went to the local dealership and she eyeballed a low end Honda CBR 600.

Now, I'm torn. Part of me is hella excited about this. But another part of me is worried.

First point is what if anything happens to her? She's a Mom. Now granted that's a bit unfair, but I can still do my job after an injury, even if it meant paralysis. But kids need mommy things, and if mommy needs a cane I can see things being very difficult for her and the kids. Also, I love her and care about her safety. Sure, It's ok for me to be on a bike, but its hard knowing that she could get hurt.

That's my caring concerns. The selfish concern is that riding is my thing, and it's kind of a break from everything. Not sure if having the ol' nagging wife complaining about me popping wheelies is going to spoil the whole thing for me.

Should I be concerned or encourage it?

Encourage it. A riding partner is cool.. It may make you closer to her.

Hoped to get my wife to ride, she said she had rode scooters and stuff when she was a kid, so we bought her a 1980 440 Kaw. Got her out in an empty parking lot, showed her what to do, and what not to do, shes like "yeah yeah just let me ride it."

She made it about 40 feet, running real slow, and that was it. Scared the absolute crap out of her...

So now when she wants to go, she hops on the back with me. She cant explain why exactly it scared her so much, but oh well.

My wife is interested in riding, but she is very very short and we are having a hard time finding a bike that will fit her. She really likes the Ridleys (mainly because they are automatic and sit very low to the ground). I am not, however, spending $15K for her to decide that she doesn't really like it. So I will prolly be riding with buddies.

Don

Mine has been riding for a few years now. I always have a little fear in the pit of my stomach, but it's worth it overall. I usually ride behind her, which lessens any "ride outside of the limit" type infuence.

It has also brought us closer together. Good stuff.

Chris

My wife is interested in riding, but she is very very short and we are having a hard time finding a bike that will fit her.  She really likes the Ridleys (mainly because they are automatic and sit very low to the ground).  I am not, however, spending $15K for her to decide that she doesn't really like it.  So I will prolly be riding with buddies.

Don
A buell blast is a good choice, but no auto trans. You can find a used one for about 2-3k.

My wife loves to ride

on the back
smile.gif
I got her the Corbin seat with backrest.

My wife had never ridden on a bike! She took the motorcycle training program at the local jr. college and I bought her a new Honda 250 rebel and she rides with me all the time, and she loves it. She was 55 when she took the class. I must be honest with you though, I keep a close eye on her and would feel like heck if she were to get hurt, although she knows of the risk involved and accepts it. I would recommend getting her a small bike like the rebel to learn on. You can always move her up in bike as her skills inprove. If you get her something that is difficult for her to handle and has too much power, she may give up and not learn to ride. Just my .02.
smile.gif

It would be cool to have you wife/girl ride. After all she is/or is atleast supposed to be your best friend. Spending time riding would give her a better understanding of your passion. Plus, riding to up (even on a Busa) sucks after a while.

I only dated two girls that rode. One of which to my amazement was just as excited about riding and was right at my riding skill level.. She was nuts.

Yeah, she rides my a** when I am gone for six to eight hours riding with my friends...LOL. I wish mine would ride, physically unable to ride due to back injuries...

No...that won't be happening. She wouldn't want to and I don't want her to. Love my wife dearly, but on the back sometimes at best.

We've ridden bikes together and I'm 100 mph and she's ho-hum. would be the same way on motorcycles and I would not fully enjoy the experience.

Hoped to get my wife to ride, she said she had rode scooters and stuff when she was a kid, so we bought her a 1980 440 Kaw.  Got her out in an empty parking lot, showed her what to do, and what not to do, shes like "yeah yeah just let me ride it."

She made it about 40 feet, running real slow, and that was it.  Scared the absolute crap out of her...

So now when she wants to go, she hops on the back with me.  She cant explain why exactly it scared her so much, but oh well.
some people have the good sence to know when somthing isnt for them- i totaly repect that- my wife knows that she doesnt have the coordination to safely pilot a bike , but i think she is the best pasenger i have ever had . Not an easy job, riding in back, through the dragon
smile.gif

Mine is always on the back, but she's got MSF class scheduled at the end of the month...Then she has to pass the dude's class before she goes on the street... hopefully it will all work out.

Bet the racers here wish they could take 115lbs off their bike with a simple $25 mod
smile.gif
Ok well maybe I'll have to sell the spare bike and get a different one for her but still to not get hit evertime I go above 130mph or do a wheelie would be nice
smile.gif

smile.gif

My wife drives a *ucking chopper.
She is only 5.1 and 105lbs, she hasn't found a sport bike she can touch the ground on. She loves the buus but can't hold it up at stop lights safely.

My wife had a wreck before we got married. It wasn't her fault... Still scared the crap out of me. She plans on buying a new bike and riding with me. I can't say that the what if's have not crossed my mind. However, we both understand the consequence.

By the way don't you think its is seriously hypocritical if you are popping wheelies when she is not around. You are worried about her? How do you think she feels every time she hears the bike starts up. I know my wife basically holds her breath till I came home from work when I am riding the bike. Even though work is 1.5 miles from home.

Treat her the same way you want to be treated. She could probably use the break also from the kids.

P.S. The wife keeps pushing me so she can type something. You don't want to hear her comments.:D

My wife has no interest in riding on the back of my bike- I took her ONE TIME around the block on my Katana, and at 20 mph at that.. The first turn circling around she freaked.

Kinda irks me actually, as she won't ride on a motorcycle, but she'll go on any amusement park ride you throw her way- That includes the ones at local carnivals that squeak, creak, are covered w/rust, and run by a teenager who couldn't give a $hit if you live or die.. Go figure.

BUSAFETT

Wifey doesn't want anything to do with bikes.  
Never has, Never will, but she enjoys me riding and having my fun. Infact, she drives her car, packed to all the Rallys I go to which allows us to take whatever cloths we want. Ya know, the nice stuff so I can take her out to eat at real nice restaurant and not look like the Raggidy Ann Man
down.gif
. She just enjoys staying in the Hotel and Shopping while I ride. And that's Great by Me !!  
jump9.gif

My wife rides an SV. We share in the parenting and we both work. If either one of us gets into a serious accident it would be hard on all of us. I can't really opine on your situation I guess, except that to not allow your wife to ride if she wants to, to me, isn't right.

I felt pretty anxious with Lori learning to ride, and she actually went down once or twice last year, but, more likely than not, that's going to happen with a newer rider. We both had an incident where we were coming around a hair pin and a car was in our lane. I was able to stand the bike up and run off on the shoulder, but Lori panicked and headed straight into the gravel and down she went. She slipped in some gravel at a stop sign once, too. She's so short that most sport bikes are a little tall for her. She learned well, though, and is comfortable. I get pretty anxious when she goes out by herself, like riding to school or work, but I love her, and she's kind of accident prone anyway, but I would never tell her she can't do something if she really wants to do it. She gives me all the leeway in the world with doing things and spending money, and I feel I should give a little back, right?

She did the the MSF course and we got her a used SV to learn on. Make the bike fits your wife and I would caution against getting a brand new for a newb, unless your of the type that says, "Hell! That's what insurance is for!"

Good luck with your decision.

Back