going thru a divorce will I keep the busa?

Hey Rongotti:

Let her take the busa. After the first year, it is worth about $2500 less than is probably owed on it.

She will try to sell it after a couple of weeks or a month, and find out how upside down she is in it.

After being unable to recoup what she owes on it, - she will eventually call you to come get it, and make the payments again. You will have a break for a month or two on the payments, and youll get the bike back, ....if you want it.

I would tell her I would "SPLIT" the payments and she will probably go for it.

hehe. I remember having this convo with my wife before we got married... course mine is only in my name and I had it before we were married anyways.. but I can remember talking about it on the way to honeymoon..

"Ya' know.. if this doesn't work out or whatever... You can have all the rest of the crap.. but the bike is still mine."

haha.. she took it as a joke.. but eh.. i'm on record as saying it and she agreed.

Sorry to hear about you and the wife! Would go and see a "good" attorney, not just for the bike cause you can always replace that. No, its the other incidentals you might not be thinking about as you go through this very stressfull situation. Ks going to keep you and your family in some prayers........

nahh she is actually bipolar, so I know she doesnt mean the things she says or does sometimes. She actually called me up crying tonight wanting me to come back. I just cant live my life like that anymore. It is tough for me cause I feel so bad for her, and I worry about her hurting herself. Sorry if that was TMI but I am so stressed right now it feels good to actually talk about it
Is your credit THAT bad that you can't get it in your name at this time? I mean it wasn't good enough when you originally bought the bike but what about now? If it is, baby up to her and postpone the divorce. Get her to believe everything is okay (you said she wants you back right?) and get the loan to your name. As soon as you sign your name on the dotted line, grab the keys  
smile.gif
, kick her in the ass  
biggrin.gif
, suit-up  
laugh.gif
, and ride off into the sunset
race.gif

brave.gif
brave.gif
brave.gif
!

brave.gif

brave.gif

I have to agree with spigga.

Get her back on her meds and let her level out a bit. Then do the fancy two step around the property issues and get what you want. If she is that labile, doing so might be hard under stress. let her cool out a bit then talk it over calmly.

Hope things get better and keep your chin up.

Chris

nahh she is actually bipolar, so I know she doesnt mean the things she says or does sometimes. She actually called me up crying tonight wanting me to come back. I just cant live my life like that anymore. It is tough for me cause I feel so bad for her, and I worry about her hurting herself. Sorry if that was TMI but I am so stressed right now it feels good to actually talk about it
I'm going to contradict some of the things being said here because I've been through some painful/violent breakups when I was younger (and dumber) that I've learnt some useful lessons from. (Back in those days, if she wouldn't give me the bike, I'd have torched it....)

If you genuinely want to break away then don't get caught up in the lawyer trap, that stuff can drag on for years, which means you are dealing with the bad feelings and blame for years as well. The only ones who benefit from those disputes are the lawyers, they make money while two people learn to hate each other. You will not profit from that long-term.

Try to talk to your wife and reason things out. If she can't see your side of the situation/is messing with you, you're better off without her anyway, right?

Revenge/bitterness/blame sounds like fun but it isn't, sometimes it's better to cut your losses so that you can make a clean break and get on with your "new" life without having to deal with attachments to your old one. Also, it takes the wind out of her sails, because she no longer has control of the situation by owning something you don't want anyway.

However much you like your 'Busa (and who doesn't on this board?) it's still just a piece of machinery. If you really want to, you can get another one (buy used if you can't afford new.)

Besides, do you really want to own something that reminds you every day of your ex-wife's "gift" and the conflict/pain you had to go through to get it back?

Let her have it, You can find a way to get another one,believe me,where there is a will, there is a way!
smile.gif

This is all F'ed up. She needs to move on and let you have our bike. Divorce and child support laws rarely favor dudes. I know there are a lot of dead beats and abusive husbands, but you were paying the fuggin note, it is your bike so she needs to fugg off !!

<!--EDIT|Southside Playa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121500923 -->

trade her the busa for something in other words do not give her the house or mercedes trade her and even then screw her do not give her anything sell everything and split down the middle. trust me i went through a divorce and i also gave my ex everything house, car contents of house i basically took my clothes and my tools thats it. believe me they are never happy and always want more dont give her anything sell everything including the busa if you have to and buy another one with the cash from the sale of everything.

If the bike is in her name, legally, it,s her,s. But like other,s have said, you may be able to trade something out. I wish the best for you.

Ummm...yeah it's in her name, but HELLO!!! she doesn't even have an M1 endorsement right??

Get your receipts together to prove you paid for it and maybe even bring a copy of your credit report or if you applied for credit when you bought the bike, then bring the paper they send you when you get denied credit also the report from back then if you have it.

Explain your side to the judge...I am thinking because you were married when you bought it and are paying for it, he may give it to you. CA is a community property state, so everything gets split 1/2 and 1/2. Since the wife or soon to be ex has no way to use the bike, then I would think the judhe would award it to you....if he employs any common sense that is!
tounge.gif

thanks for all the wellwishes. My crdit is still screwed up from my exgf in Va. I actually talked to my wife last night and she wants me to take it out of her name. i will have to get one of my friends or my dad to help me out to keep my baby

thanks for all the wellwishes. My crdit is still screwed up from my exgf in Va. I actually talked to my wife last night and she wants me to take it out of her name. i will have to get one of my friends or my dad to help me out to keep my baby
Sounds like she's calmed down a bit,great! You will get to keep the bike after all right?

I see law schooling wasn't high on the course preference list with busa owners...

The fact it's in her name means absolutely nothing. The only fact that is important is that you/she bought it while you TWO were married. Ahha-- it is joint property regardless of title.

Now for the bad part. All property amassed during your union including the busa is joint property, so she could push ya to liquidate it OR give her 1/2 the value. However, it looks as though there are many assets being carved up-- she's entitled to 50% of assets and net worth typically, so the judge/laywers/u just need to balance the books.

Bottom line-- if there is some cash on the line  hire the best lawyer you can. Never ever , ever trust anyone. Protect yourself and your assets (namely the busa).

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121527030 -->

Back