Wear your gear - a reminder

MPH 200

Donating Member
Registered
Copied from another board - ATGATT

Photos here at original post

the lessons from my mistake (somewhat graphic, be careful)

So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty damn rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had damn well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a jackass that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a damn good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

Didn't click on the pics....didn't want to.

But I did read the post. And it is VERY well written. A good read for all, but will really hit home for the noobs.

ATGATT PEOPLE!-Passengers included

An excellent reminder especially for anyone thinking about taking a passenger out for a ride.......guys, no matter how great she looks in those Daisy Dukes and sandals, don't let her on the back of the Busa without proper gear.

An excellent reminder especially for anyone thinking about taking a passenger out for a ride.......guys, no matter how great she looks in those Daisy Dukes and sandals, don't let her on the back of the Busa without proper gear.

:werd:

Saw that yesterday, reposted again today in several different forums and also noticed it on Killboy.com per Lori's request. Riding to the store wearing whatever you want is your choice, but letting someone else ???. At least he man'd up and put it out there how quickly things can go wrong. Like he said 2 inches and this could have been a completely different story.

I'm glad you learned from this and that she will be ok. We all nake mistakes(check my avatar) but you gotta learn from them. Even though I joke, had amanda been hurt I would've felt awful. Luckily I learned the easy way.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is why my busa has never had a passenger on it. If I hurt myself fine if I hurt somebody else not fine.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!! :rulez: Gear don't work if it is sitting at home! Cheers!

Gear and insurance. It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Posted via Mobile Device

That was the prerequisite to Elena becoming a passenger....."Gear". Not just "some" gear, or a "little" gear, but "all" the "gear". I couldn't live through the explanation to her mother that I was irresponsible with the welfare of her only living child, and that I love her very much. That's also why I leave the Bullsh!t at home when I have her on the back. "Precious cargo". Me ?, I'm expendable, "Elena ?", unh-uhh no-way......

Every time I see some young girl with her low-hip jeans, and a tank top with just a helmet, on the back of some squid's ride, and he's riding like a punk rides ????......."no comment permissible by O-R-G by-laws"

That was the prerequisite to Elena becoming a passenger....."Gear". Not just "some" gear, or a "little" gear, but "all" the "gear". I couldn't live through the explanation to her mother that I was irresponsible with the welfare of her only living child, and that I love her very much. That's also why I leave the Bullsh!t at home when I have her on the back. "Precious cargo". Me ?, I'm expendable, "Elena ?", unh-uhh no-way......

Every time I see some young girl with her low-hip jeans, and a tank top with just a helmet, on the back of some squid's ride, and he's riding like a punk rides ????......."no comment permissible by O-R-G by-laws"

Excellent points...I like the part about leaving the bull$h!t at home when carrying a passenger!

tough reality check. I'm sorry you had to go through that bro but I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. God luck with the healing up! Lesson learned.

ATGATT even when I roast to death and get grief from my squid peers. I dress for the crash as well as the ride! Great post Michael, your Busa back to like new?

Dave

WOW..............I wear my Gear on the Busa but on the 109...............It's a Half helmet and Riding Jeans. ???

When My Wife or my daughter is on board, It changes the whole ride. Not that I ride foolishly any time but I'm a lot more cautious when I have a passenger. Like everyone says, If We wrecked and I survived but they didn't, Don't even want to think about it.

Back