WD-40 on black wheels attracting more dust?

miserycaptain

Donating Member
Registered
Seems with the natural road and brake dust the rear wheel gets from a casual ride that the WD-40 may act as even more of a magnet for dust? I know many of you do it so what are your thoughts? What y'all think?:bowdown:

Dave

it is an oil based solvent, yea it will hold dust.. best to blow it off with water first I think as the captive dust probably has a lot of abrasive quality to it.. I run polished aluminum rims on the Busa and they collect a lot of junk running dry.. is amazing how dirty these things get in a day of riding.. Upside to polished aluminum is that there is no coating or paint to wear away.. Keeping them shiny got easier when I got a Mequiars Polish ball..

Just like bbbusa said. I clean with wd-40 to get rid of the grease and tar. Then clean the residue with a soapy rag and water. Then honda polish or wax the rim. It does make it easier to clean.

it is an oil based solvent, yea it will hold dust.. best to blow it off with water first I think as the captive dust probably has a lot of abrasive quality to it.. I run polished aluminum rims on the Busa and they collect a lot of junk running dry.. is amazing how dirty these things get in a day of riding.. Upside to polished aluminum is that there is no coating or paint to wear away.. Keeping them shiny got easier when I got a Mequiars Polish ball..

I have one of those too and I agree, (the polishing ball and they are great):thumbsup:. The wheels attract dust like MAD! The rear (Black) wheel has to be wiped after every ride or looks crappy by comparison to the rest of the bike. I need a bull dog so I can get that rear up and spin it in place for cleaning. I put the spindles on but didn't get the rear stand yet.:banghead:

Seems with the natural road and brake dust the rear wheel gets from a casual ride that the WD-40 may act as even more of a magnet for dust? I know many of you do it so what are your thoughts? What y'all think?:bowdown:

Dave

I guess I was thinking you guys were cleaning and leaving it on there for the shine effect which is what prompted my curiosity!

After u get rid of the WD-40 with a degreasing agent, then use dawn with hot water and rinse, then wax the wheels. If you have wax on wheels, the dust and etc wont build as quick and can easily be rinsed off.

I have tried everything on the planet to keep my black wheels clean
from all different kinds of wax (even the dupont with teflon) to no avail.
Makes me wonder how hard the marchesini or carrazo (sp) wheels would
be to keep clean...gotta be a nightmare.

I use the honda polish (or plexus) works about as good as anything and
nothing will prevent brake dust and dirt.

I have tried everything on the planet to keep my black wheels clean
from all different kinds of wax (even the dupont with teflon) to no avail.
Makes me wonder how hard the marchesini or carrazo (sp) wheels would
be to keep clean...gotta be a nightmare.

I use the honda polish (or plexus) works about as good as anything and
nothing will prevent brake dust and dirt.
I used to use lemon pledge on my old honda F bikes.. (black wheels)

Lemonee Fresh as you ride by!!!!! Vrrrrrrrooooooooommmmmmm LLLLLLLLLLeeeeeeeemmmmmmooooooonnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeee FFFFFFFFFFrrrreeeessshhhhhhh!!!!!!! :race:

S100 works well too, seems like it keeps the dirt and grime off the bike longer between cleanings once you use it a couple times.

Back