Things you should know about wd-40

I use this to clean
087320008.jpg

Detailed Description  
Removes grease, oil, road grime, brake fulid and chain lube over spray. Removes carbon build-up and other contaminants from electrical components. Will not harm most plastics, rubber, vinyl or painted surfaces. It is non-flammable.  

And Maxima chain wax afterward.

Well folks...

"THE JEERS":

<span style='color:green'>1. If you do attempt to use WD-40 exclusively as both a cleaner and a lube?...you must give it frequent and liberal applications...and as such?..much of it will sling off in rapid fashion..(this is also why it collects less road grime build-up)...however...now much of that excessive coating of WD-40 has a way of migrating onto the inner surfaces of your rear wheel...and being that it's also a wonderful glue solvent?...there go your stick on wheel weights...and I shudder to think of what affect losing a 2 ouncer at a buck 80 might have...in two issues...balance annnnnd...ballistics.</span>

<span style='color:red'>2. If you do use WD-40 just as a cleaner?...and then use a true commercially sold o-ring spec chain lube on top of it?...angain the residual light coating of WD-40 left from the cleaning process will prevent your "Doesn't Sling Off" chain lube from ever even establishing initial adherence to the chain..thusly?..it will sling off...like a band-aid on wet skin....leaving you with a REAL LIGHT residual coating of WD-40...not good...not good at all.</span>

What's "the point" you ask?...well?...good question as...I'm really not certain...but at this point I'm thinking that buying a can of real chain lube might be in order.
laugh.gif

and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<span style='color:green'>any tech that apllies stick on type wieghts will clean the surface of the wheel first with a clean that is either alcohol based or of a "contact cleaner" variety....preferably anything without trichlor in it! Usually the can is right next to the balancing machine. Anything less and you aprolly paying too little for the work to be done.
Oh...and 2oz is a bit heavy..moght ask'em to rotate the tire
wink.gif
</span>

<span style='color:red'>ALL chain lubes WILL "fling off" ....no matter how long you let them sit.....only the factory applied wax is worthy of that claim.
BTW...the warmer the chain is during application, the better the "chain wax/lubles" will adhere.</span>

I always use WD40 as a cleaner....on the wheels, plastics (where excess lubes fling), and chain .....the point is to spray the WD40 on a rag first....then wipe your stuff clean, to minimize overspray and such. I wipe the chain with a WD40 rag until clean...and then follow with a clean rag...and then a wax.
If you are in the habbit of spraying your wheels, just be sure to clean the brake rotors afterwards...nothing quite like the feeling of barkes that do not grab when you need them.

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145246743 -->

cleaning chain and the area is really painful process...I use wd40 to clean, and lube the chain...
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145246307 -->

About the only thing I use WD40 for on the bke is cleaning up the mess on the tailight,undertail, and hugger after a trip to the drag strip.

If you botch the job of removing the factory stickers and there's adhesive residue (guilty), WD-40 will do the trick as well. I haven't used it on the chain so I cannot vouch for that.
smile.gif

Back