Warped rotor :(

TruWrecks

Banned
Well I was feeling better than my usual sore self today so I took the Busa out for a spin. I put on about 60 miles today, rolling past the 12k mark on the ODO. My tire pressure sensor started flashing at me that the front was -5 PSI from the target setting. I was only a few block from home so I rode back to check for a nail.

As I was inspecting the tire for holes I noticed that the brakes are dragging badly almost half of the wheel rotation. It's dragging bad enough I can't spin the wheel one full rotation no matter how hard I push. The rotor is visibly warped on the right disc. :banghead:

These are factory rotors, with EBC HH pads. I have had the EBC pads on since just after my first track day. I have put over 8k miles on the pads. I expected a few more miles from the OEM rotors. I'm thinking that the EBC pads produce more friction, which means more heat, and the rotors don't deal with it very well.

I guess I will be looking for a new set of rotors in the next week or two so I can get the Busa ready for the trip to Corbin.

I didn't even know the bike had a tire pressure monitoring system on it, or is this something aftermarket that you installed????

I didn't even know the bike had a tire pressure monitoring system on it, or is this something aftermarket that you installed????

The tire sensor is an aftermarket SmarTire setup. They aren't selling it anymore because they decided to focus on OEM systems.

Was on my 3rd set of used OEM rotors fighting warping issues on my 06. Was not the pads, yes they can cause it if you are a track guy/gal. The real issue was simple usage. Mine is a high mileage bike and after 29-30k just usage made my calipers not release enough from the rotors to dissipate the heat. Spend 75 bucks and take them to a shop for a caliper rebuild. I have not had issues since and when on the stand the wheel spins freely now. Wish I would have looked at the calipers first ???

Any forum vendors have decent prices on a better set of rotors? I can find several sights that have them, but I can't stomach $500+ for the pair right now.

Did you *feel* any pulsating when you applied the brakes? Does it stop unevenly? You would think that if you can see the warp it must be pretty bad. It also happend to me after I installed the same pads. I only feel it when I am braking (slowly) to a stop. I measured the warp. They are only a few thousands out of tolerance so I'm living with it for now. It may have happened when I "broke in" the new pads.

I can feel a very light pulsing when moving slow. When I spin the tire hard by hand it will stop within a half rotation. I can hear the dragging of the brakes when I roll the bike in my garage. It is also harder to push.

EBC hasn't released their new rotors to fit the 08-09 Busa yet. I had to bite the bullet and order the Galfer rotors. To add insult to injury I had to order the rear rotor also. It would look very odd if the front rotors are wave and the rear is not. I was hoping to use some of that cash to get a set of PR2's on the bike before my trip. That isn't going to happen now.

Back