Warped rotors, get new OEM or Chicom?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I suspect that my front rotors are warped after 25K miles, 7K of which were with the previous owner. I am looking at getting some new OEM from Ebay or maybe some of the Chicom ones.

I think I would get about the same life out of each, but clearly like the look of the Chinese ones better. The OEM are supposed to be just fine for street riding, and are a bit cheaper though for an 08.

Going to doing the pads with EBC HH and the lines are already done with Galfer SS.

So, for an extra $60 or so I can get fancy Chinese ones, or I can save a bit of money and get new OEM rotors.

Thoughts?

Oem or quality after market. This is one place saving a few bucks makes no sense!

Get the EBC HH "extremePro" pads, not just HH. There is a difference.
Brake rotors are up to you, and some people may have good luck with them, but that's the last place I'de put chinese parts.
And yes, oem rotors are made in China too, but you'de like to think you're getting something that has went through a good QC check and is made with quality steel.
I also have Chazzo levers(soon to be replaced with ASVs), but they've been lab tested by a member and proved to be what I always thought, as good as the cheap cast stockers. Brakes are another story. If the buttons come loose or break, or the rotor itself breaks from poor quality steel or tempering...you know what's going to happen.
Any brand name quality part can fail too, but I prefer the odds with them better.:beerchug:

I thought you were making that change about 6 months ago. Where does the time go?

You mean "Where does the money go?":laugh:
I spent about $3k on it since then, ASVs are another $250 and I have to budget my bike money.

I firmly believe it's all a matter of your own personal choice. If you buy into the hype that there Chinese and junk then spend 3-4x as much and get Galfer or EBC and be done with it. But honestly when is that last time you have ever heard of someone having a chinese rotor that threw a button or came apart causing someone to crash or worse? I have read lots of debates and questions about them and don't believe I ever have, yeah you hear of some getting them in warped or them warping from extreme use but I have had oem rotors to warp also. Does that mean the batch whoever made that day at/for suzuki was junk? I have ran galfer,ebc & the chinese knock-offs on different bikes and would hard pressed to tell the difference if I didn't know. Now grant it yes, put different pads on the same rotor no matter which and it can be a night & day difference. But who knows, maybe it's just me.

I actually have a set of the knock off waves on my gen 1 right now paired with EBC HH pads and gen 2 radial calipers and if I had the ballz could probably endo it 100mph, but I'll pass. But I will admit when I first put it all back together after the front end swap I was out on a ride with some guys playing pretty good on some back roads and guy in front of me knew the road good so I felt confident rolling with him, and after a good little straight we were coming up a slight incline and I guess I must have just zoned for a half a second as he touched his brake and caught me off guard I guess causing me to instinctively to grab brake. I did and at that moment I grabbed a sufficient amount for the gen 1 set-up that was just on there, but too much for the new set-up and that front locked up solid and we were in the 90mph range at that time.

It was my fault/mistake/screw-up 100% not blaming anything or anyone else, so I guess my point is I don't see a problem with the chinese rotors. Maybe that's not a good/accurate or whatever you want to call it assessment of them but since I've never had a problem with them or ever heard of anyone getting killed/injured from them failing and they can lock the front wheel up in a split second with that weight on them and at those speeds their ok by me.

And as far as that goes show me a company out there that has never had a problem/defect with a product they produce/manufacture at one time or another. US or abroad.???

I'm sure Maxine wasn't running a knock-off wheel, and look at how close those teams inspect/change parts and such on those race bikes and stuff still happens.:whistle: Just because it cost's $5k doesn't necessarily mean it's $4500 better than the one that cost's $500

And no I'm not arguing all knock-offs are equal or good at all cause I would never own another set of knock off levers. And yes, I've tried them and had problems with them and not just anodizing wearing off.(honestly mine didn't last that long) I'd rather spend the $150-200 a set for Pazzo/ASV/CRG.

DSCN8259.jpg

Oem or quality after market. This is one place saving a few bucks makes no sense!

Correct, UNLESS the chalfers are actually quality which indeed they are and I can vouch for the ones I bought :thumbsup:.

Do a google search of warped EBC rotors or warped Glafer rotors. ALL brands, yes even Brembo, can be warped for a number of reasons:
warped galfer rotors - Google Search
warped brembo rotors - Google Search

3 rotor set of Chalfers = 250 bucks.

I have number of thousand miles on mine plus braking drills from a california superbike school course to prove they are at least at the standard of OEM.

There is NO argument against these chinese rotors except ill informed skepticism and discriminatory beliefs :thumbsup:

Correct, UNLESS the chalfers are actually quality which indeed they are and I can vouch for the ones I bought :thumbsup:.

Do a google search of warped EBC rotors or warped Glafer rotors. ALL brands, yes even Brembo, can be warped for a number of reasons:
warped galfer rotors - Google Search
warped brembo rotors - Google Search

3 rotor set of Chalfers = 250 bucks.

I have number of thousand miles on mine plus braking drills from a california superbike school course to prove they are at least at the standard of OEM.

There is NO argument against these chinese rotors except ill informed skepticism and discriminatory beliefs :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Well, I can pick up a set of new OEM for $99, or go for a "fancy" set for $200+. I will only use the bike for commuting or the mountain rides on the weekend, so I think I am just going to stick with the cheap OEM and spend the other $100 on something else.

I am working out a price with Tim (Pashnit) now for EBC HH "extreme pro" or the regular HH and a kit of Dyna Beads. Here in a couple of weeks I plan to swap out my old PR2's for a new set and install Dyna Beads, new rotors and HH pads to start the riding season out right.

I DO NOT NEED YOUR PEER PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:
Thanks, but my bike money needs to build up again. The ASVs are at the top of my long list.

Ahhhh, go ahead it's only a couple of benji's. You'll never notice them even being gone. :rofl:

But yeah, I got pazzo,crg & asv and honestly the ASV's have the best feel out of all of them and offer more precise adjustments. Not that that's a big deal but you got the full spectrum of the stroke as adjustment compared to just 5-6 clicks. :thumbsup: And the way they are formed just feels so much more comfortable to hands, at least I think so. :whistle:

Well, I can pick up a set of new OEM for $99, or go for a "fancy" set for $200+. I will only use the bike for commuting or the mountain rides on the weekend, so I think I am just going to stick with the cheap OEM and spend the other $100 on something else.

I am working out a price with Tim (Pashnit) now for EBC HH "extreme pro" or the regular HH and a kit of Dyna Beads. Here in a couple of weeks I plan to swap out my old PR2's for a new set and install Dyna Beads, new rotors and HH pads to start the riding season out right.

Extreme pros man! You'll really like how much better the busa stops with them!:thumbsup:

Ahhhh, go ahead it's only a couple of benji's. You'll never notice them even being gone. :rofl:

But yeah, I got pazzo,crg & asv and honestly the ASV's have the best feel out of all of them and offer more precise adjustments. Not that that's a big deal but you got the full spectrum of the stroke as adjustment compared to just 5-6 clicks. :thumbsup: And the way they are formed just feels so much more comfortable to hands, at least I think so. :whistle:

I've ridden bikes with them before and I agree with you. I prefer the feel over the competition. I use 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch and brake too, I like to be able to adjust them away from the bars.
I was hoping you had a set on clearance at your store:laugh:

Back