Want to buy daughter dirtbike or 4-wheeler for Christmas

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I'm thinking my 9 year old is ready for a dirtbike or a 4-wheeler. She's got the coordination skills and rides her bicycle just fine, and my Dad's farm with plenty of riding space is right down the road (he has a 4-wheeler but it's a fairly big one and I don't let her ride it unless I'm on it). She rides with me around the block on my Harley and loves it, but I don't see her expressing as much enjoyment on the 4-wheeler.

My wife and I are debating. I learned how to ride a dirtbike long before 4-wheelers came out; my wife started the other way. I perfer a dirtbike so she learns clutch skills; my wife prefers a 4-wheeler as she believes it's safer. Looking for some thoughts from those with experience.

KLX110, just like a Honda 50, me and all my buddies could not kill that thing, put a good pipe and air filter on it to uncork it.
Now they have a E-start version too.

Last edited:

Why?

Looking for a good argument in favor of a dirtbike over a 4-wheeler...if there is one.

I believe the skill set for riding a dirtbike is easily transferrable to a 4-wheeler, but I think that riding a 4-wheeler first could develop some bad habits that would be hard to get out of when going to a bike...

As far as safer goes... I've wrecked them both as a kid. The one thing I can say is even though she is young and either one will be pretty small, the bike would be way less in weight should she fall and it come down on her. My son started at 5 on his quad. He loves it and all his cousins have them. I went with the quad because I have one as well and he wanted one like me. Honestly I think an argument can be made for either one, so I would say, which ever one she is more interested in would be what I'd buy her. If she likes it then she will stay interested and probably be more apt to respect it. Good luck.

new bike 013.jpg

If that be the case, then what quad would you recommend?

Apples to orange argument. I have always love dirt bikes and got big into racing dirt bikes in my teens. Females are just as capable of riding dirt bikes as guys, but if it was my little 9 year old girl, I would get the quad. More comfort and stability.

I got one of my boys a Honda 90 atv and the other a Suzuki 160 atv. Four years later the one with the 160 wants a dirt bike now. Get your daughter what will make her happy and teach her right. I think Florida is a ATV state because everyone has them.

I'm thinking my 9 year old is ready for a dirtbike or a 4-wheeler. She's got the coordination skills and rides her bicycle just fine, and my Dad's farm with plenty of riding space is right down the road (he has a 4-wheeler but it's a fairly big one and I don't let her ride it unless I'm on it). She rides with me around the block on my Harley and loves it, but I don't see her expressing as much enjoyment on the 4-wheeler.

My wife and I are debating. I learned how to ride a dirtbike long before 4-wheelers came out; my wife started the other way. I perfer a dirtbike so she learns clutch skills; my wife prefers a 4-wheeler as she believes it's safer. Looking for some thoughts from those with experience.

I've had both. 4 wheelers are different, not safer. Maybe the perception that they are safer makes them more dangerous because you don't stay as alert. I think it comes down to what the 2 of you can agree to. My preference would be to go with the dirtbike.

dirtbike, 4 wheelers - too dangerous for children.

Last edited:
The perception that 4 wheelers are "safer" is part of what makes them more dangerous. Statistics prove otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzuki LT 80cc Quadsport 2 stroke 4 wheeler. Made for many years, cheap, cheap parts, easy to work on, fun to ride, good power.:thumbsup:

140.jpg

I have messed myself up on my little dirtbike 10x over compared to my little LT80.

I would definitely recommend the LT80. Good power, performance parts to help her later on in her riding, throttle stop to limit the speed, but no manual clutch and they are everywhere, so they're cheap (800ish)

I have the same question in mind. I advocate learning on 2 wheels for a number of reasons. Two wheels is more demanding to learn, and you need some skills to get around. Many get into trouble on hills with 4 wheelers because you cannot just drop the bike, they start backwards. Any kid can pin a four wheeler without basic balance skills and get into trouble quickly. Also, you can get a small light bike that is not so heavy if it falls on top of the operator. Learn on two, and four is simple, but balance and skills are already in place. 4 wheelers can be "operated" without skills, and then the trouble starts... Now, how old does my grandaughter need to be to get a little Zuke two wheeler.....

I have messed myself up on my little dirtbike 10x over compared to my little LT80.

I would definitely recommend the LT80. Good power, performance parts to help her later on in her riding, throttle stop to limit the speed, but no manual clutch and they are everywhere, so they're cheap (800ish)

:rofl:The little dirtbikes will always hurt grown folks, ask me how I know:laugh:
I bust my a$$ regulary wheelieing my friends Suzuki JR 80, and the RM 80s are worse:laugh:
Another friend bought a LT 80 Quadsport last year for his 7 year old for $300, looks/runs great, still no problems with it. I see them for $500 to $600 often.

I have the same question in mind. I advocate learning on 2 wheels for a number of reasons. Two wheels is more demanding to learn, and you need some skills to get around. Many get into trouble on hills with 4 wheelers because you cannot just drop the bike, they start backwards. Any kid can pin a four wheeler without basic balance skills and get into trouble quickly. Also, you can get a small light bike that is not so heavy if it falls on top of the operator. Learn on two, and four is simple, but balance and skills are already in place. 4 wheelers can be "operated" without skills, and then the trouble starts... Now, how old does my grandaughter need to be to get a little Zuke two wheeler.....

I can agree with this too, it depends on the kid's perceived ability and coordination. I'de put her on a dirtbike without a clutch first.
A small 4 wheeler works good too, that way you can judge the kid's ability and see if they could handle 2 wheels. Pros and cons to both.

Agreed, but my only negative is it is a two stroke. Sometimes they can be picky. I bought the yamaha raptor 80 just because it matched my 660. It has a very crappy front end suspension (non independent). I think the honda trx 90 is better than both the yamaha and the suzuki. It has a great suspension for a small quad and as most hondas, it will run forever with minimal upkeep. there are also several aftermarket parts if she should want to upgrade.

So many kids are getting killed on quads here in Missouri, that there is sizeable movement forming to completely ban anyone under 16 riding one by themselves. Seems like an every weekend thing in the newspaper during the summer.
Personally, I despise quads. You have to body english the hell out of them to turn at more than a walking pace without risking a roll over. And if they ever do go over, it's very hard not to end up under the thing. Plus, in the case of a small(er) kid, quads take a lot more sheer muscle to turn than a bike.
Good gear, and a correct size dirt bike for the child, is by far the safer way to go.

after teaching my nephews to ride, i realized that its really easy for a kid to go fast on a quad,without learning how to ride well.....

the dirtbike takes far more skill, but the plus side is they develope that skill as they learn to ride faster, and faster. the fear of falling is always there and that is a built in governor as you are learning....a quad is almost like a tank, and because it will not fall over can give too much confidance and get new riders into trouble.

Back