Wanna be Hayabusa owner here few a couple questions

Now I'm not looking to go to the dangerzone here, I just want something to ride to work and the occasional weekend trip. So here's my questions...

better options for your needs out there imo

1: I've gotten as high as 50mph, typical conservative will be 42, my normal riding ...36

2: not too bad to ride if your conditioned for it

3: can yes, should probably not

Be honest with yourself with your capabilities and self restraint. Some folks can jump on one of these things first time and all is wonderful, others end up in the hosipital...

Good Luck in you decision.

Even the newer (2006 & on) 600's are SICK motorcycles !! I think the Busa might be a little more forgiving AS LONG AS YOU'RE IN LOWER RPM.

If you do a search on "Hayabusa as first bike" you'll see this gets asked about 2 x a month. Always the same answers. (I'm not complaining, this is where they should be asking)

If you do get one, this place (because of the people) WILL be VERY helpful, and you WILL ENJOY it here :welcome:

Okay, I just can't resist....even if this is just another troll (chinese scooter rider?). Buddy, take the responses you get here with a grain of salt and skepticism. The inexperienced riders who are responding are telling you its okay but they have less than 5 years experience riding so WTF do they know?:laugh: Why do you want a busa again? For commuting? Buy something comfy. A CBR600F4 has loads more power than your current ride and is pretty manageable and comfortable too. More than enough bike for 90% of the riders on the road and too much for some. As many experienced forum members have noted, the first timers that aren't successful with the Busa are either dead or have given up riding so you won't be getting any feedback from them. Read some magazine reviews and watch some tv reviews of the mighty Busa. Most, if not all, will warn that it is for very experienced/expert riders only. The writers usually speak from experience.

I wouldn't recomended, but some people have learn on a busa. I think if you do that move you just have to be extra careful about everything u do when riding, taking off, breaking, on curves, ect. The bike is heavy and has lots of power to be messing around with it, and any mistake u make can take u down faster than a lighter or less powerful bike. I wish good luck to you if you decide to go with it.

:welcome:
Best thread ever. :welcome: The daily chuckle on this one. Chinese scooter to busa.

More power to you. :bowdown: Go get one. Buy used and they are cheap and plentiful, aftermarket parts is also endless. 35-50 mpg will be your mileage. They suck on the freeway for a 60 mile daily drone. I had a 60 mile one way commute and bought another motorcycle (ST1100) just for that commute.

And welcome to the madness. :welcome:

:cheerleader: Best thread ever. :cheerleader:

^^^what he said. :laugh::thumbsup:

:cheerleader: go for it....but be damn sure to load up on safety gear.... helmet(must have) jacket, gloves, and pants. they could save your life if something bad happens. check out this link...gear would have saved her alot of pain and suffering.

Rock The Gear

so get your busa and be as safe as possible. :rulez:

and enjoy.

I am 46 and I have only been riding since 2008.
I bought the 2008 busa as my first bike, very easy to handle, tame as a cat in the city.
The busa will only go as fast as you want it to.
I only dropped my bike once a week after I got it because I was waxing the chain and did not have a rear stand at the time.

I say the busa is a great bike for anyone. Since 08 I put 24.000 miles on her:thumbsup:

you have a scooter and know you wonder if you should get a Busa. Once you get used to any bike that you buy, you will still wonder if you are ready for a Busa. I can tell you from experience buy the Busa and get it over with. My first bike was 2006 Busa and I want other bikes but I will always own a busa. 60 miles one way on a 600 hundred is going to suck.

A troll??? Uhhh... NO!
Busy? Yes!!
Wasn't really expecting this many answers so I'm still peeking in when I have the time. I'll be back with more questions/comments soon.

It's all about the driver. For example, my two sons are polar opposites. the older son, now 30, is not a good driver, and never will be. He simply doesn't have the skills. He could never learn a stick shift for example. #2 son is just the opposite. If it rolls, he can drive it. Bike, scooter, tractor-trailer...you name it.

#1 son could never operate a motorized cycle of any sort. #2 son could make a transition from a scooter to a 'Buse look like changing socks.

Which one are you? Only you can tell.

CW

It always comes down to you. It took me almost 50 other bikes before I bought my first Busa. It is one of the easiest bikes to ride and very forgiving as long you ride well within you abilities.
A commuter bike, certainly you can commute on anything, cost effective to commute? Other fun bikes get better mileage, SV 650 good example and a great all around bike. First bike? Wasn't for me, bought my first Busa at 58 years old. Do I let my sons ride it, only if C mode.
Would I recommend as first bike, no but again it depends on you and your percieved skills. Lots of recommendations here but it has to be up to you. Many factors to consider, insurance, repair costs, purpose of bike?

Okay, here's the one and only important thing to consider - ARE YOU CONFIDENT RIDING A HAYABUSA? DO YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT?

Right on!!!!

:thumbsup:

By the way this philosophy also applies to lion training, and fighter jets. no need to start learning with a Cessna or a collie, why if you just believe you can do anything!!!!

cheers
ken

I think everyone should begin with a full race turbo busa as their first bike. It's all in the wrist anyhow...

The busa is a big heavy fast bike. You need to know how to use the brakes properly, the throttle and good control of the bike. Can you do it, sure. Would it be easier and less of a learning curve if you went with a smaller bike, sure.

If fuel economy is a motivating factor then it doesn't make sense to get a 1300+cc engine when a 600 or even smaller is available at a lower cost plenty of street power and much better on gas.

Lastly if you're getting a loan to purchase said bike it would just mean bigger payments for the bigger bike.

Hi everyone, I joined the group today and am in the UK. Proud owner of my second Hayabusa.

Very interesting responses to this one and as an advanced motorcycle instructor I have a small point to make.

I agree with the view that you can ride anything if you believe you can - absolutely! I empathise with those who say 'No Way!' for a first bike.

My point is this.... if ALL you have ever ridden is a scooter then your experience is very limited. You will have an auto-pilot mode in your mind somewhere and on a lovely sunny day you will be deeply into the ride when some dipstick pulls out of a side road and your auto-pilot instinct kicks in. You may decide to wind the throttle to get past... you may decide to brake hard to avoid a collision... Whatever you do, if all you have ever ridden is a scooter NOTHING will prepare you for the throttle response of a knee-jerk reaction on a 'Busa! YOU WILL LAUNCH YOUR FRONT WHEEL OVER YOUR HEAD! A standard Hayabusa does 80+ mph in first gear and 170 -180 in 4th (well the British ones do anyway!) . Over-grab the brakes without thinking and YOU COULD LAUNCH YOUR BACK WHEEL OVER YOUR HEAD!

Either way you could end up in a wheelchair or dead.

You need some experience on a medium sized bike before you go for the fastest thing on the planet; not because of your belief or your ability, but for the one second it takes for some moron to screw up your day and your life forever. You need that experience so that when instinct kicks in - it is the RIGHT instinct and you survive to tell the story!

Thanks for reading this and I hope it helps.

Regards, Mike Lawrence

Did you go straight to a scooter.

Most people ride a Harley before stepping up to a scooter? :rofl:

Seriously though, I think a smaller bike is good and dont recommend anyone starting on an inline 4, because they're all fast. I think I will get my son started on an Sv650 or something.

Hi everyone, I joined the group today and am in the UK. Proud owner of my second Hayabusa.

Very interesting responses to this one and as an advanced motorcycle instructor I have a small point to make.

I agree with the view that you can ride anything if you believe you can - absolutely! I empathise with those who say 'No Way!' for a first bike.

My point is this.... if ALL you have ever ridden is a scooter then your experience is very limited. You will have an auto-pilot mode in your mind somewhere and on a lovely sunny day you will be deeply into the ride when some dipstick pulls out of a side road and your auto-pilot instinct kicks in. You may decide to wind the throttle to get past... you may decide to brake hard to avoid a collision... Whatever you do, if all you have ever ridden is a scooter NOTHING will prepare you for the throttle response of a knee-jerk reaction on a 'Busa! YOU WILL LAUNCH YOUR FRONT WHEEL OVER YOUR HEAD! A standard Hayabusa does 80+ mph in first gear and 170 -180 in 4th (well the British ones do anyway!) . Over-grab the brakes without thinking and YOU COULD LAUNCH YOUR BACK WHEEL OVER YOUR HEAD!

Either way you could end up in a wheelchair or dead.

You need some experience on a medium sized bike before you go for the fastest thing on the planet; not because of your belief or your ability, but for the one second it takes for some moron to screw up your day and your life forever. You need that experience so that when instinct kicks in - it is the RIGHT instinct and you survive to tell the story!

Thanks for reading this and I hope it helps.

Regards, Mike Lawrence

Well Said.

You can tell someone on a computer forum "a Busa is okay to get as a first bike". But what would you say if your child (that never had a motorcycle, or rode one) said to you "I think I'm going to get a Hayabusa, what do you think" ?

First I'd like to say thank you to everyone that answered, I appreciate the opinions.

Now many of you are probably wondering why the heck does this guy want to go from a Chinese scooter to a Hayabusa? That answer is pretty simple, it's the only motorcycle that looks good to me and if I'm gonna spend my hard earned money on it, I'm gonna roll on something I like. I know about the Burgman and did consider it but frankly I don't want to fool with another scooter. I've been talking to people that have or had sport bikes and the one thing that has become rather annoying is how everyone keeps yelling about how fast and powerfull it is. OK I get it already! Still, it's not God on wheels! LOL :bowdown: But to me when ya boil it down it's just a pair of wheels with a engine attached to it. Also, it's not like I planned to buy one and hop on the freeway, I'm not nuts nor do I have a death wish. I would ride it around town for several months to get used to it first. I see it like this a Corvette is considered a fast & powerful car but I sure do see a lot of older gents rolling in them. Some have mentioned that you have to know yourself to decide, well I think Dirty Harry said it best... "A man's got to know his limitations!" And I know mine. I work at night so I've got the freeway mostly all to myself and even though the scooter could do 70 mph (when it worked) I was always in the slow lane. A coworker let me sit on his Suzuki (don't know which one it was but it was a 1000) and it felt lighter than my scooter. He was actually surprised because he said it was one of the heavier bikes. He offered to let me ride around the parking lot but I declined, I didn't want to risk dropping it. I'd like to get a used one because it's cheaper and if I don't like it I won't feel so bad about buying it. Plus, I don't like the newer ones (2008 & up) I hate how the back looks. The one that I really want is the 2006 limited in white (don't know if it came in other colors). Some have said they are very expensive to insure so I got a quote, only $400 bucks for the year, not to bad. I'd say I'm pretty much sold on the idea but I still have a lot to consider before I make a decision. So why don't I start with a smaller bike? In a way you could say I did. The first bike I had was a 50cc scooter, rode the hell outta that thing and yes I know it's not exactly the same. When I was young I wanted a Yamaha Vision because it didn't have gears (why don't they make Hayabusa's like that?) and I really didn't have a clue on how to shift a motorcycle. Years later I bought the 260cc scooter used and had to ride it 60 miles on the freeway. Yeah I was scared outta my mind but got used to it in no time. Now that I want to move up to a motorcycle I have no interest in buying several, I just want one. If I like it when it wears out I'll buy another, if not then so be it. I do have a few more questions...

How hard is it to find a stock used one? All the ones I have been looking at have been modded in some way.

What is this "Power commander" thing I've seen added to most of them?

And is there some sort of setting that limits the power of the bike? I've heard something like this mentioned but I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly.

Thanks (sorry it's so long)

GH

Back