Wanna be Hayabusa owner here few a couple questions

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
Hi just thinking about this but not sure if I'll take the plunge. I currently have a Chinese freeway legal scooter, (yeah I know... big mistake) and I'm thinking about getting rid of it (as soon as I can get it running again) and buying a Hayabusa. Now I'm not looking to go to the dangerzone here, I just want something to ride to work and the occasional weekend trip. So here's my questions...

1. What kind of mileage can ya get with one of these things? I noticed it's not even listed on Suzuki's website. My coworker who used to have a GSXR says people that buy these aren't interested in MPG's but in these days of $3 dollar a gallon gas I find that hard to believe.

2. How is the comfort? My commute is about 60 miles one way and I'd like to take the occasional 500 mile trip.

3. Would you say a newbie who's only gone about 70 mph on a scooter can ride this?

Thanks for any input.

GH

The Hayabusa is no scooter. With that being said, there will be a big learning period getting used to the weight, handling, and power. MPG ranges from 30 to 50 depending on how you ride. I would suggest getting something smaller before you step up to the King.

1. 40 mph, depending on how you ride.
2. More comfy than the average sportbike.
3. I say start with a GSXR600.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am 46 and I have only been riding since 2008.
I bought the 2008 busa as my first bike, very easy to handle, tame as a cat in the city.
The busa will only go as fast as you want it to.
I only dropped my bike once a week after I got it because I was waxing the chain and did not have a rear stand at the time.

I say the busa is a great bike for anyone. Since 08 I put 24.000 miles on her:thumbsup:

My school of thought is that you can ride anything with 2 wheels, just need to keep the old ego in check, take your time learning, and be prepared to pay for damages from the learning curve. My Busa was my first and only sport bike, and I started riding after only putting about 2K miles on a Harley...it goes and stops like any other bike, throttle control is completely up to the rider. I did drop mine 3x in my driveway because it needed to be lowered, and that experiences cost me plenty to replace a side fairing and the nose...

So, I say to each his/her own, just know what you're getting yourself in to with the weight, the power and the cost it'll be should you mess her up. You might want to check for insurance costs too; quite often that determines what one can truly afford... :)

I would be very critical of scooter-Hayabusa tansition for the following reasons.

1. Your intentions is only one of many risk factors.

2. Your wrong reflexes, especially coming from a scooter - a few mm of throttle opening at slow speed in 1st gear may launch the bike into a) rear wheel spin; b) a wheelie.

3. Just being tense on handlebars and going over a bump may do the same as in item #2.

4. Sooner or later you will be tempted to open her up, and that turn you thought was far away is suddenly way to close to comfort - you freeze, can't make it, lock the rear brake....................

Based on what you need, is a good commuter bike - more like a touring machine. Maybe a used VFR, Concourse, or the like.

And the important risk analysis questions. Consider two opposite possibilites.

Let's say you would be just fine on a Hayabusa, so what would happen if you go with a less powerful bike? Answer: nothing much, you will still be safe and sound, and can get a Hayabusa later on.

But Let's say you are destined to crash on a Hayabusa, so what would happen if you get a Hayabusa? Kind of obvious, but puts the risks in perspective.

The final note, it's only you who has the best feel for what is right for you. Just be honest with yourself, and trust your instincts.

I personally started riding in 2000 and wanted a Hayabusa the day they came on the market. But I knew better than that and wouldn't even consider getting it. I got a used Katana 600. Only 3 years later, after putting 20k+ miles on her, I got a used Hayabusa. I think that was the right decision for me.

As you see, there are a number of people here who had a Hayabusa as their first bike and are doing just fine. There are a number of people who had a Hayabusa as their first bike and are not doing fine - but you don't hear much from those because they are either dead or don't want to admit, or they simply stopped riding alltogether and are not around on this board.

Okay, here's the one and only important thing to consider - ARE YOU CONFIDENT RIDING A HAYABUSA? DO YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT?

No one else can answer this for you. And as I said this is the only thing that matters.

Remember seeing those pics of scooters like Vespa and you generally laugh at? I rode one of those since my childhood. Probably only few times I rode a 250cc motorcycle back in India. Hayabusa is my first and only sportsbike. Everyone said I was stupid to even think about it. Yes I admit, when I bought my Busa after not riding a 2 wheeler for over 3-4 years, the dealer even asked my friend if I can even ride a 2 wheeler when I just purchased it. I was very nervous because of the heavy weight (plus as I only weigh 110 lbs). But I knew it's power and capability and I was confident if I respect it and give it some time I'll get used to it. I barely passed my motorcycle driving test. Couldnt do cone 8s, couldnt do U-turn without putting my foot down. But honestly I can tell you after riding Busa for like 6-7 months, I'm much more confident.

So bottom line is, if you are confident about it and you know how to shift gears using foot (as opposed to hand in scooters), I would say go for it. But if you are questioning your ability, then go for a lower cc bike as starter, get used to it and then move up.

Last edited:
OP, don't buy a Busa as your first bike. You will die.

Start on a 600 and keep that for at least a year.

OP, don't buy a Busa as your first bike. You will die.

Start on a 600 and keep that for at least a year.

Can I ask you something? Why generally people like you say anyone having Busa as first sportbike WILL die? Is it that you werent confident when you got your first sportsbike?

I'm still alive, and as you can read my post above, this is my one and only sportsbike. If you wanna quote so many deaths on Busa, then I would say, look around, there are plenty of deaths and injuries on every bike. As you can read here from member's unfortunate experience, some has nothing to do with the rider or the bike.

So I really dont understand why people discourage someone else if they themselves werent confident.

Can I ask you something? Why generally people like you say anyone having Busa as first sportbike WILL die? Is it that you werent confident when you got your first sportsbike?

I'm still alive, and as you can read my post above, this is my one and only sportsbike. If you wanna quote so many deaths on Busa, then I would say, look around, there are plenty of deaths and injuries on every bike. As you can read here from member's unfortunate experience, some has nothing to do with the rider or the bike.

So I really dont understand why people discourage someone else if they themselves werent confident.

Yea, I don't get it either why some discourage someone for getting a busa as a first bike.
I bought an 08 busa as my first bike and could not have made a better decision.
I think some discourage others from buying a busa as there first bike is because they don't have one and wish they did or some other personal thing.

I think some discourage others from buying a busa as there first bike is because they don't have one and wish they did or some other personal thing.

OK, Dr. Phil...

Maybe the reason people discourage noobs from buying a Busa as their first bike is that it is way too powerful for a novice rider?

The idea that "you can ride a Busa as long as you think you can ride a Busa" is about as intelligent as claiming that you don't wear any safety gear because you don't intend to have an accident.

OK, Dr. Phil...

Maybe the reason people discourage noobs from buying a Busa as their first bike is that it is way too powerful for a novice rider?

The idea that "you can ride a Busa as long as you think you can ride a Busa" is about as intelligent as claiming that you don't wear any safety gear because you don't intend to have an accident.

If anyone read my post, I never said 'think'. I used the word 'believe'. There's a big difference. That's where the confidence factor comes into picture.
And anyone who has the confidence (not overconfidence) will know of it's powers and will treat it that way. The 'noobs' people talk about will probably get into a serious accident even on a bicycle.

EDIT: One thing to note also, Busa has a C mode, which prevents it from rapid acceleration and thus prevent from unintentional wheelies and new tire wipe out. Anyone who has ridden a 2 wheeler before SHOULD know how to control the throttle.

Last edited:
I wouldn't start on a BUSA as your first bike. Ya some people have done it but going from a scooter to the BUSA is like going from a Geo Metro to a Bugatti Veyron SS.

Before you even look further, CALL YOUR INSURANCE AND GET A QUOTE!! That usually decides for most who buys a BUSA when people get quotes for $3k+ (1-year).

In response to your questions:

1. You are right people don't buy BUSA's for good gas mileage. They will get 45+ if you ride easy but no one buys it for the mileage.

2. Comfort is great for a sportbike. One of the best IMO but it's no Goldwing/recliner and it's no scooter so you may hate it.

3. Can you YES.....would I heck....NO!

OK, Dr. Phil...

The idea that "you can ride a Busa as long as you think you can ride a Busa" is about as intelligent as claiming that you don't wear any safety gear because you don't intend to have an accident.[/QUO

What's your age son?

You can kill yourself on any bike. The busa will only go as fast as you want it to Don't you have any self control?
Just because the busa is a fast bike means nothing, all bikes are fast and you can kill yourself on any bike just as easy.

I have only been riding since 2008 when I first bought my 08.

I think it is very easy to handle, easier than my kawasaki 600. I even feel safer on a big bike.

I wouldn't start on a BUSA as your first bike. Ya some people have done it but going from a scooter to the BUSA is like going from a Geo Metro to a Bugatti Veyron SS.

Before you even look further, CALL YOUR INSURANCE AND GET A QUOTE!! That usually decides for most who buys a BUSA when people get quotes for $3k+ (1-year).

In response to your questions:

1. You are right people don't buy BUSA's for good gas mileage. They will get 45+ if you ride easy but no one buys it for the mileage.

2. Comfort is great for a sportbike. One of the best IMO but it's no Goldwing/recliner and it's no scooter so you may hate it.

3. Can you YES.....would I heck....NO!

Partially agree and partially disagree to the poster. I'm posting this coz I completely forgot to answer OP. :p

1. Busa gives a decent mileage, but as Got-Busa said, I also dont think anyone buys Busa for mileage. You might find a better bike out there which'll give you more miles per gallon.

2. It's a sportsbike. You need to lean forward. So definitely it's nowhere near as comfortable as you might feel on a scooter (I know as I rode one for a long time). My first 'long' drive on Busa was 180miles and I thought my shoulder will get paralyzed permanently. Coz I didnt know how to lean forward properly without putting too much pressure on shoulder and arms.
But been said so, I heard Busa is more comfortable than any other sports bike. You'll find many of .oRg members have done well over 1k rides on it easily.

3. Here's where I disagree with Got-Busa. I say YES, YOU CAN. Probably 90-100 kmph (~65mph) is the highest I've ridden on a scooter. The only thing important is rider must be level headed. Respect the capability of this beast and treat her accordingly. To learn running, first you need to learn walking. So treat it good, drive in your comfort level, dont get tempted to open up beyond your control and you should be fine.

Best thread ever. :welcome: The daily chuckle on this one. Chinese scooter to busa.

More power to you. :bowdown: Go get one. Buy used and they are cheap and plentiful, aftermarket parts is also endless. 35-50 mpg will be your mileage. They suck on the freeway for a 60 mile daily drone. I had a 60 mile one way commute and bought another motorcycle (ST1100) just for that commute.

And welcome to the madness. :welcome:

:cheerleader: Best thread ever. :cheerleader:

Buy a Bergman. The Bergman will easily do 80 all day long and the get like 65 M.P.G.

You don't want a Hayabusa.

Best thread ever. :welcome: The daily chuckle on this one. Chinese scooter to busa.

More power to you. :bowdown: Go get one. Buy used and they are cheap and plentiful, aftermarket parts is also endless. 35-50 mpg will be your mileage. They suck on the freeway for a 60 mile daily drone. I had a 60 mile one way commute and bought another motorcycle (ST1100) just for that commute.

And welcome to the madness. :welcome:

:cheerleader: Best thread ever. :cheerleader:
Yep the old chinese scooter to the busa.....one small step for man, one GIANT leap for this chap :laugh: I also say do it. You're born, you live 70-80 years if you're lucky then you die. Why not own a busa sometime in between? And the sooner the better :beerchug: Sometimes you put things like this off and they never happen :whistle: Strike while the pavement....I mean irons hot :thumbsup:

Lets be nice guys, we have differing opinions yes, but the question was asked with sincerity. Is the busa a good bike for a beginner? I say no. Have some done it? Yes they have. Its not called a hyper bike for the sake of naming it something.
Please read through this thread and think about what is stated. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-owners-forum/24283-thinking-about-hayabusa-first-bike.html
Welcome to the oRg, I hope you hang around a while. If you want a comfy good commuter bike, you cant go wrong with the Suzuki Bandit 1200. :welcome:

Back