Volt meter install with a twist

RedBusarider

Registered
I know a few of you have installed a voltmeter on your bikes.

I liked the idea so I ordered one. Upon initial testing I discovered that there was a difference
between getting a reading off of just the battery and getting a reading going through the ignition switch.

So long story short I added a DPDT switch so I could read the voltage from two separate places.

So this is what I ended up with. Here the switch is in the middle position and everything is off.

Meterandswitch_zps639b7473.jpg

This is the ignition wire I tapped into - I think it is the orange one, but I'm colorblind so it may not be.
What I do know is that it is live only when the ignition switch is on.

ignitionwire_zps4f466d50.jpg

Here is the DPDT switch I used. At one end there is a black and a red wire coming to the switch and that is straight from the battery.
The meter has a red and a black line and they are hooked up to the middle connectors on the switch.
I used the ground from the battery and jumpered it to be the ground for the ignition side of the switch.
So the last wire (black and grey?) is connected to the orange wire of the ignition. That completes the wiring.

ignitionswitch_zps9f798410.jpg

Here is the switch set to read straight from the battery

Batteryonly_zps668a3419.jpg

Here you can see the ignition is on and the reading is lower. The headlight draws more power resulting in a low voltage reading.

ignitionon_zps0bbdbfba.jpg

One advantage to this setup is I can check the voltage of the battery all by itself without turning on the key.
Another is I can turn it off at anytime. Because the meter is bright, in the daytime it should be very readable.
At night it might be too bright, if so, off it will go.

I purchased a metal switch because if the bike sets out in the sun I didn't want a plastic switch to melt or become soft.
I got a heavy duty switch which is bigger then the micro switches so that it would be easier to move and feel for it with gloves on.
Mounting it where I did will not effect anything when the fairing has to be removed. Also mounting up front may keep it shaded some.

Just one more way to mount/wire a voltage meter.
Now get to work. :laugh:

I installed a temp gauge but I am switching it out for a volt/temp meter. This is a pretty slick idea. I think I'll steal it :laugh:

Nice , I hope the meter comes with a pretty tight back. If not you might have issues down the road

Nice , I hope the meter comes with a pretty tight back. If not you might have issues down the road

Thanks. I mounted it up high on the dash so it shouldn't get too dirty or wet.

I try not to ride in the rain so the chances of it getting wet are slim.

Worse case the meter was only like $6 so if I got the same one again it should be easy to swap out.

Time will tell.

FYI,

Just installed a Shorai and my HID no longer flickers at any rpm and bike is got way more than 12.5 volts.lol.

More like 14+volts ...

Would still love to have a volt gauge. Nice job

BB

BB

Looks good!

I think I got my meter from the same company you did.
This one is sealed and water proof.

A different mounting location...
DSC01049.jpg

Nice!

You can take some Silicone sealant and completely cover the back of the meter - that will keep those components dry.

I'm thinking about adding an ambient temp gauge to mine...

Where did you get the volt meter? I am wanting to do this in the next few weeks and I was searching amazon for parts last night. I was actually just planning on putting a relay on it so it turns on with the key though. Always on when bike is running.

Where did you get the volt meter? I am wanting to do this in the next few weeks and I was searching amazon for parts last night. I was actually just planning on putting a relay on it so it turns on with the key though. Always on when bike is running.

On Amazon. Part # EVM088 645646645651 SMAKN 2 Wire Green Dc 4.0-30v ........ $6.90

Shouldn't need a relay if you want it on all the time while the key is turned to on.
Just hook to orange wire and a ground.

If that above part is not available there are many others.
I choose that one because it was cheap and small enough but not to small to see well.
Because it is fairly bright - that is why I put the switch in to turn it off if needed.
IF the battery was real low and you needed all the power you could get to start the bike - that is another reason I might want to turn it off.
Maybe I will never need to do that - but better to be prepared and not need it..... Do what you want and if you do something way different
please post it for all to see......

can't you get a volt reading from any source run off the battery? I was thinking a running light.

can't you get a volt reading from any source run off the battery? I was thinking a running light.

Yes, you could get a reading - however the key would have to be on and the power going to
a running light will take some of the voltage.

That is why I hooked one side of the switch up directly to the battery so it will give me
true battery voltage without anything else drawing power during that reading.

Once the key is turned, the headlight, gauge lights, taillights etc. come on too, influencing the reading as shown in the first posting.

I want to come straight from the battery. I want to monitor my charging system. I just replaced some parts and want to know if it fixed my issue. If it didn't, I can at least see where my voltage is as in indicator to throw her on the trickle charger.

Thanks for that part number!!

If you are going to wire it up straight to the battery you are going to want to put in an on-off switch at the least.
Otherwise the meter would be on 24-7 and could slowly drain the battery down if you didn't ride it for more then a few days.

JMHO

I am going to wire in a relay that is off of a keyed source. Flip the key on and the meter will come on. If I find it too bright when riding at night, I can add an on off switch later. Parts are ordered and hopefully I can install this weekend.

If you are going to wire it up straight to the battery you are going to want to put in an on-off switch at the least.
Otherwise the meter would be on 24-7 and could slowly drain the battery down if you didn't ride it for more then a few days.

JMHO

I am going to wire in a relay that is off of a keyed source. Flip the key on and the meter will come on. If I find it too bright when riding at night, I can add an on off switch later. Parts are ordered and hopefully I can install this weekend.

Don't forget to photograph the install and post it here.

I'm interested to know why you think a relay is needed - if you are going to find a keyed source ???
And yes you can add a switch later - but then you would have to open it all up again.
That's one reason I did the switch with the meter install - maybe I will never turn it off - but I can if I want to.

Looking forward to your version of a volt meter install :whistle::popcorn:

Back