Volt meter install with a twist

The relay is so I have a reading from the battery and not the keyed source. The keyed source acts as a switch to interrupt the power from the battery. Not sure if that makes sense.

Don't forget to photograph the install and post it here.

I'm interested to know why you think a relay is needed - if you are going to find a keyed source ???
And yes you can add a switch later - but then you would have to open it all up again.
That's one reason I did the switch with the meter install - maybe I will never turn it off - but I can if I want to.

Looking forward to your version of a volt meter install :whistle::popcorn:

I did my install over the weekend. It works good and verified that my regulator/rectifier replacement fixed my problems from last year. The voltmeter is a direct reading from the battery. And is turned on and off via a relay from a keyed source.

20140420_165819.jpg

20140420_214957.jpg

Nice Job.

Choose the same placement as I did.

Did you use the part number I provided? Your meter looks a little different them mine. Does yours have a sealed back? Just curious.

If you get time could you photo the relay and where you mounted it. Again just curious - may use a relay for something else someday.

Now for the next wiring job I'm thinking, it might be nice to get a digital outside air temp gauge like you see in many vehicles of the 4 wheel nature.
Has anyone done that?

Yeah...I really liked where you placed yours, so I copied. Lol

I grabbed a water proof one. I think that is the only difference.

The relay is the following one.

Amazon.com: Directed Electronics 8616 Relay Assembly Mini: Automotive

Luckily, my old bike had a switched auxiliary wire in the nose that has a ground and a power. I used that to power the relay. Then I ran a ground and power from the battery to the front. The ground runs straight to meter. The power ran into the relay and then relay to meter. Flipping the key on powers it up. One way to think about it is like a light switch. The keyed power source is basically the same as your finger on the switch. Once the relay gets power, the juice from the battery goes straight to meter. I mounted it right next to the fuses using zip ties.

If I start adding a lot of electrical stuff to her I would like to get the fuze box from pashnit.

It would make life much easier. But costs a lot more.

Fantastic job! All I can say. Just a small point: I would cover the switch contacts with electrical tape.

Back