Battery information , and testing with a Volt meter

c10

Registered
Okay my friends no ride today as my Yuasa gave out ! Now not blaming it as it is a sealed unit in service for 9 months but was activated @ factory in late 2017 installed on a 2018 Triumph purchased as a left over unit in late 2020 . After charging its only 12.4 VDC no good by there own web site , and it has not even seen the 3 minute ignition on test .

Here is a copy paste from Yuasa .

Unlike Conventional batteries, AGM types cannot be tested using a hydrometer because they are sealed. Instead a voltmeter can be used to perform an open circuit voltage test. The test can be used for both Conventional and AGM batteries. The test is used to determine the following: battery state-of charge, ability to hold a charge and shorted or open battery cells. Before performing an open circuit voltage test the battery must be fully charged.

Charging a battery using the vehicle’s charging system or a battery charger creates a “surface” charge across the battery’s cells. The surface charge needs to be removed before an accurate test can be performed. To remove surface charge, turn on the ignition for about three minutes then turn it off. Let the battery sit for about 10 minutes before completing a test.

Open circuit Voltage indicates what percent of charge the battery has reached after charging. Open circuit voltage for a fully, 100% charged AGM battery is 12.8 to 13.0 Volts. AGM batteries that are 75% to 100% charged will measure 12.5 to 12.8 volts. Conventional batteries have slightly lower open circuit Voltages: 12.6 volts (12.8 volts with Sulfate Stop) for 100% charge and 12.4 for 75% charge.

If after charging the open circuit voltage indicates that the battery is less than 75% charged, the battery is probably no good and should be replaced. Before the battery is condemned, try charging it again. If the battery is still not close to 100% charged it needs to be replaced. The open circuit voltage test is not conclusive. It is possible to have a 100% charged battery as indicated by the open circuit voltage test that will not start a powersport vehicle reliably. In such cases a load tester is recommended.

My Yuasa failed the test this spring...I went to another AGM battery as I'm not too overly fussed about weight and trust AGM batteries...

What turned me off the Yuasa was the "Made in China" stenciled on it...I actually have a battery made in Canada with a 5 yr warranty now.

Photos . Japan is factory, and China is a typical replacement or clone
20210717_110727.jpg
Screenshot_20210717-105128_Chrome.jpg
20210717_090332.jpg

I've been running one of the MotoBatt AGM's for over 5 years now. Nothing bad to say about em. Company is American, not sure where made.

Edit: The goog says made in China...

Thanks Bryan for the technical info re dc batteries, very accurate and reliable info, I like load testing any suspect battery to verify it’s strength or weakness.
It’s also fun to see the load tester heat up the coils! It smells like burnt copper and smoke comes off the tester ... yeeeeeehaaa!
Way more fun than staring at a multimeter screen lol

grin

the battery - the evergreen ;)

my 1st busa had, at date of purchase in 2008, the (pre-used) yuasa and exactly that yuasa was still in the bike when it was gone in oct. 2016.
so batt was 8+ years old and was still working fine
and i guess the original yuasa can´t be that bad as sometimes described .

my 2nd busa got a lifepo4 with 4.5 Ah
but that i killed formly with my yamaha fj 1200 by too high loading voltage. (at max way over 15 V)

knowing that the busa also tends to overcharge with volts over 14.9 -15.5
i replaced the original rectifier with the one of the honda 1100 xx, sc35 (blackbird ?) what limts the voltage now to an absolute maximum of 14.5 v - see here my homepage.

here the link to my schematic drawing
here the link to the section of the original scheme

(at my fj1200 i limited the voltage at 14.5 by another way but put in a lifepo with 6Ah and best results till today)
(and caused by the same measures at fj and busa now i can use the lifepo at both)

BUT
what i never again will give up is the yearly controlling of the two connectors of the 3 yellow wires from generator to rectifier !
see here & here what poop can happen.

The old one was a lower res, and in my experience, editors tend to render the whole project as that lower res rate, even with hi res clips present. At least Premiere Pro does. I was just gonna re-render the old one but he's expanded his brands since then so I want to build a new one to reflect Bryan's diverse technical skills.

[EDIT] and, he no longer owns a Hayabusa :poke:

• Love
Reactions: c10
Back