Installed Voltmeter and headlight switch..

IG.

Registered
I had those on my Kat, and while I was doing some maintenance this week (oil/filter, coolant), I spent 6 hours installing those. Until 4 a.m. Why it took 6 hours? I don't know. Didn't want to screw anything up, so I was very careful and slow, tested circuits a few times, did quality soldering, quick connectors, drilling the upper (black) panel, etc.

Now, the interesting part. Voltmeter is connected straight to the battery, so it's always ON. It's analog from RadioShack (15V range, extremely low electricity consumption - less thean 1 mA), but I calibrated it with my digital one, so it's very accurate now (0.1V accuracy).

The reason I like to see voltage is that it lets you spot potential battery/charging system problems way ahead of time. Normal voltage on running bike seems to be around 14.5V. But, what I noticed that at idle, it tends to be a little higher. I am guessing this is not accident. This is so that the battery gets charged even at idle.

Now, the headlight switch. There are 3 reasons for that. When I do track days, it's easy to disable the headlight. Another reason, if your batter is weak, and you cannot start the bike, disconnecting the headlight helps a bit. And, the third reason is that I turn the headlight off when I ride on divided highway, with very light traffic, and excellent visibility. Why? Because when a cop seats by the road and sees a single bright light half a mile ahead, he knows exactly who is coming, and has plenty of time to get ready. He is very likely to not notice me until the last moment, but by then it's gonna be too late. And, I will take "no headlight" ticket any time instead of speeding ticket.

Wanted to install extra loud horn additionally to the stock one (I had similar setup on my Kat), but damn how tight the space is. Simply no place to put it. I guess I will figure it out some time later.

I will take some pictures tonight while I am gonna be putting everything back together.

I am somewhat hesitant about airhorns. Even with the two horn setup I had on the Kat (high note stocker and low note aftermarket FIAM), I once scared the heck of one old lady. Didn't mean to do that. With air horns, you don't have an option to give a little beep.

I used ground from one of the horn wires (black-and-white), and the positive connected straight to the battery.

They make Electric horns called highway blasters. In single or dual. Adrlenjunky put a set (2) on his near same space I put the air horns. They work great.

JD

Airhorns get you noticed! If I even think some cager is going to merge into me, I let out a blast. They're better than the anemic stock horn, that's for sure.

--Juggler

OK, here are a few pics...

100_1749_smaller.JPG

The challenging part was to find place for both V-meter and the button, so that V-meter is visible in normal riding position, and the button is easily accessible while riding, and at the same time the wiring/internal part does not hit any brackets, and internal wiring.

Both the switch and the V-meter are purchased in RadioShack.

The two wires coming to the headlight (low beam) are black/white - this is ground, and the white one which is power (it's ON when the key is in ON position).

I used the ground wire (stripped like 1/2" of insulation and soldered 2 black wires to it - one goes to V-meter, another to the switch), and the white (power) wire - cut it, and then the end that gets the power soldered to the red wire and it goes to the switch, and another end of white wire - soldered to the green wire, and it goes to the switch also.

V-meter gets positive straight from the battery, fused of course (I always liked to see voltage even when the bike is OFF). Like I said before, the V-meter consumes less than 1mA which means it will eat only 1 Amp Hour of the battery in 1000 hours. I think that the battery looses more power naturally at a much higher rate than from the V-meter. So, this is not an issue.

I only have a little concern about the switch not being waterproof completely. I will come up with something. This is not something urgent since I won't ride in downpour on purpose.

Back