Cruise Control installed, comes on but not engaging. HELP

Rusheriv are still trying to figure this issue out with his cruise control, I think we may be on to something now. Those of you that have done this, feel free to chime in.

Problem: The servo will not engage and take control of the throttle when being set.

Possible solution: Right now he has the purple wire connected to the relay, then connected to ground for the tail light. I am under the impression that a ground connection to the relay will disengage the cruise control, giving the symptoms that he is having. I suggested splicing into the brake signal wire which is 0v when the brake is off, and 12v when the brake is applied.

This solution goes in line with post #25 by Captain. If you look at the directions for hooking up the purple wire, it states just what I have indicated above.

Your thoughts?

Sent an email to Murph expaining the troubles I'm having and included a link to this thread. I asked that he contact me to get it exchanged.

His reply
"Send the servo to:
Address removed

Include a copy of this email and we will switch them out

Sorry you had trouble

murph"
:thumbsup: Thanks Murph!

Keep us up to date brother. Despite some mixed information on here, I hope you had it connected properly and the new servo will fix the problem.

In light of all this information, some of it bad, some of it good, I plan to install my CC this weekend on my Gen II. I will take many pictures and post a how to for Gen II so that this sort of thing does not happen again.

I hope to have the post up by mid next week and will put it in the Gen II section. I will detail all of the little things that people are confused about such as relay connections, dip switch settings, brake wire color, etc.

Possible solution: Right now he has the purple wire connected to the relay, then connected to ground for the tail light. I am under the impression that a ground connection to the relay will disengage the cruise control, giving the symptoms that he is having. I suggested splicing into the brake signal wire which is 0v when the brake is off, and 12v when the brake is applied.

Decided to give it one more shot before tearing out the servo and sending back to Murph. Changed the wiring to the relay, as Sous suggested, so it switches between 0v and 12v (instead of switching continuity to ground). Preliminary test in garage failed and road test tonight also failed.

Servo is coming out tomorrow for a lil road trip to KY. :laugh:

In light of all this information, some of it bad, some of it good, I plan to install my CC this weekend on my Gen II. I will take many pictures and post a how to for Gen II so that this sort of thing does not happen again.

I hope to have the post up by mid next week and will put it in the Gen II section. I will detail all of the little things that people are confused about such as relay connections, dip switch settings, brake wire color, etc.

Awesome, can't wait to see it. I wanted to get mine installed before this past week for a trip to Del Rio, TX, but never got around to it. So I look forward to your write up.

OK, got my CC installed and it is working. Although, it will only set at 4,000 RPM or higher. I am now looking through the manual to see how I can change that. I have 1, 4 and 7 set to on, all others set to off for the dip switches.

Took a lot of pictures and will get the how to for Gen II up this week.

Just found this info for the Concours 14

Set the switches as follows:
Switch 1 OFF
Switch 2 OFF
Switch 3 OFF
Switch 4 OFF
Switch 5 OFF (Change to ON if speed drops too much before CC kicks in.)
Switch 6 OFF
Switch 7 ON
We need to use the 2,000 PPM setting because we have 4 individual coils. If you used a 4,000 PPM setting the cruise won’t activate until about 50 MPH.

Thanks Captain, I am going to do the write up because there is various sources of info on here and I know for a fact that my set up works. I am going to remove the tail again tomorrow and set the dip switches to all off except 7, then test ride again. Once that is done, then I can work on the how to and maybe it will become a sticky one day.

Great news Sous! Glad that it went smoothly for you.
Can't wait to get my servo back.

Seems rediculous that you'd have to wind it up to 4,000+ RPM to get it to set speed. Definately would like the chance to try different setting on those #1, 2, 4 & 5 DIP switches. Maybe even tap into more than one coil? I'm also wondering, instead of the one positive, if you could tap into and pickup the pulse of all 4 coils on one of the coil ground wires?

Well, I used the adapter from Schnitz Racing for the coil, so I only had to splice into 1 wire and that was the brake signal wire. I really hate messing with factory wiring as you can introduce a problem into a seamless system fairly easy.

I just removed the tail and put all switches to off except for 7 to on. This is what some of the concours 14 guys are using. I will test ride it tomorrow and see what happens.

We need to use the 2,000 PPM setting because we have 4 individual coils. If you used a 4,000 PPM setting the cruise won’t activate until about 50 MPH.

Yes, if you're pulling the signal from the coil (as you are by using the adapter), I would recommend this setting, too.

Yes, if you're pulling the signal from the coil (as you are by using the adapter), I would recommend this setting, too.

After doing the install, I was just happy that the thing worked! I have had the CC in a box in my basement for over a year now. It took me less than 15 minutes to remove the tail, changes the switches and put the tail back on. CC works great now and she is all buttoned up waiting for her first commute to work.

Nice job on the install and write-up! You'll enjoy having CC!

Back