Virginia house committee

Well, on the flip side...didn't I hear a while back that FL was looking at re-instating the helmet laws there because of the # of fatalities of riders not wearing helmets?  Am I wrong?  What happened there?  

It's a catch 22 no matter how you look at it...I don't want gov't dictating things to me either, yet I appreciate the seatbelt laws and cringe when I see kids that aren't strapped in.  
mad.gif
 I suppose since I live in a household where one wears gear and the other wishes he didn't have to, for HIS own good, I like the current laws here in VA...I do hope they don't revoke 'em, but if they do, then Mike's got to decide what's important in life and whether to protect himself or not...
Smack him around a little .....he'll come to his sences ! My wife would , if she saw me sneakin' out of the garage without my lid .
wink.gif

I being another Ohio rider and never having a helmet law also spend most of my time riding without.  Usually only don the gear when it's cold.  However I understand the risk I'm assuming in doing so.  I believe in the right to choose, even if we make the wrong choice.  I have a real problem with seatbelt laws and helmet laws.  Seatbelts saves live.......Yes, but they also take them too. There's numerous people alive today because they were thrown clear of the vehicle, and at the same time many have died from being thrown.  There's no win/win solution, but I truely beleive everyone is responsible for their own decision.

Now, to contridict what I said...........I'd have no problem if Ohio passed a helmet law and required me to wear my helmet, took that choice away from me.  I'm not stupid, I understand my odds of surviving an accident are GREATLY increased with proper gear...........I'm just stubborn and have always believed from the time I was a kid that the thrill of a motorcylce was the freedom, the open road, the wind in your face, your hair (or not in some case
wow.gif
), the roar of the engine, the pipes, nature.  Put a helmet on and you take away some of the things I enjoy most about riding.

To each his own..............MY .02

I guess it all depends on where you live also. I'm am whole heartedly against this just for the simple fact that living here in VA, so close to the Ocean front and tourist central in the summer (prime riding time), when tourists who have never seen the ocean or this fine state drive like they are the only one's on the road, paying attention to everything but the road.

I've seen many bikers that have had to swerve to get out of the way of a left turning vehicle with out of state tags. Not to mention that large number of military bases here on the coast (nothing against the military, I love you guys to death for what you do for me and my family personally) but so many different driving styles in 1 mixing pot makes it very traumatic for driving conditions even in my cage.

I just think if you're gonna ride, be smart enough to wear a helmet at least.

and loboboy the not being a burden on everyone else. you must have have any idea of how much it costs for hospice care of an individual. Not something I want my money spent on when something as simple as a helmet that I think they give away with all bikes could have possibly saved them from a specific fate.

but that's just my $0.02
just ride safe.
Hey Tony, I always hated negotiating around all those teenagers coming off that crazy overpass/ramp type thing you have to go on to go into the hampton mall down there. I always wear my lid, and live in a state where I dont have to. I was taught by example.

oh GSXTacy you haven't seen anything lately then, they've "finished" the Mercury Blvd Flyover (what they are calling it now), I'll have to find an arial of it. It is a work of Art. takes me 5 minutes just to get off the dang ramp it's so long now.

here is the before and after photo, look at the flyover, and you see the parking lot for Coliseum Mall as a good reference point.

before_after.jpg

Well, on the flip side...didn't I hear a while back that FL was looking at re-instating the helmet laws there because of the # of fatalities of riders not wearing helmets?  Am I wrong?  What happened there?  

It's a catch 22 no matter how you look at it...I don't want gov't dictating things to me either, yet I appreciate the seatbelt laws and cringe when I see kids that aren't strapped in.  
mad.gif
 I suppose since I live in a household where one wears gear and the other wishes he didn't have to, for HIS own good, I like the current laws here in VA...I do hope they don't revoke 'em, but if they do, then Mike's got to decide what's important in life and whether to protect himself or not...
I'll help you smack some sense into him. The main thing I was thinking when I saw him go down was "He doesn't have a helmet on.......... he's dead", I almost wrecked myself when I saw him hop up as I was mid-turn, I was amazed he got up that quick!

I guess my view is this...
It sucks the Gov't tells us what we can and can't do on our bikes. BUT, if it's gonna save a good man's life, I agree with the law if said person wouldn't wear the helmet anyway.

Michelle, tell Mike I said if he doesn't wear a REAL helmet from now on, I'll kick his azz.

How is this any different than the seat belt laws for the cage. You don't click it, you get a ticket. You do have a choice, follow the law, or pay the fine. Same with the helmet law.

I ride with a lid, always have, always will. There used to be a saying, "if you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet." What does that say about those who ride without?

Also, you don't plan on crahing, but you have insurance. Why insure the bike if you're never going to crash? Same with the helmet. I don't get on the bike thinking I'm going to crash. The gear is the insuance policy for my body just in case something bad does happen.

what part didnt you understand you dont ride a harley like a busa  i didnt cruise around at 140 or 50 on the harley so i upped my chances of crashing    due to ability and skill  thats why i gear up now incase i screw up.cruising down a back country road at 40 or 45 on a harley just doesnt scare me enough  but the busa has taught me to respect her and if your going fast enough or crash hard enough the helmet will just leave your face pretty
trust me guy, i understand what you wrote...not sure you actually wrote what you wanted to, because you contradict yourself, but that's okay... you are still dressing for the crash, unless you just think you look sexy in the leathers..<shudder>

we can argue that into the ground and it wouldnt change it either way i did it for 15 years and here i am maybe i just got skillz or maybe im just lucky
and i've been riding for 17 years and never went down... that doesn't make me a great rider, nor does it assure me i won't get wiped out tomorrow...last summer a state trooper pulled a u-turn in front of me, i squeezed between his cruiser and the guardrail..could have been bad... lots of other close calls over the years. can't win everytime, so i prepare, in advance, for the hand that i may lose...

we can argue that into the ground and it wouldnt change it either way i did it for 15 years and here i am maybe i just got skillz or maybe im just lucky
and i've been riding for 17 years and never went down... that doesn't make me a great rider, nor does it assure me i won't get wiped out tomorrow...last summer a state trooper pulled a u-turn in front of me, i squeezed between his cruiser and the guardrail..could have been bad... lots of other close calls over the years. can't win everytime, so i prepare, in advance, for the hand that i may lose...
just like Sept. 04... I was riding 3 months!! Next thing you know, 16 yr old girl on a phone decides she wants infront of my bike... Head on... I had 10 ft to react, helmet saved my life.

Who remebers Indian Larry? One of the top custom chopper builders in the country. Died August 30, 2004 at the age of 55 in a low speed accident on one of his choppers. He was not wearing a helmet and succum to the head injuries. He had been riding for about 40 years. I bet he didn't think he would crash his chopper, but it happened and he wasn't prepared.

I started my motorcycle riding on the dirt.  Nothing like a little rocky roost to make you appreciate wearing *lots* of protective gear!  
face7.gif

I always ride with a helmet.  I feel naked without one.  I can't imagine riding my 'Busa at some ridiculous speed with the wind blasting my face.  It's bad enough *with* a helmet.
wow.gif

I hate the government telling me what to do.  I just can't completely understand *not* wearing a helmet and proper protective gear.

CT doesn't have a helmet law but you must have eye protection.  Nothing like having a June Bug hit your face at 45 mph on a backroad to make you consider protecting you head.  
wow.gif

wow.gif

Who remebers Indian Larry?  One of the top custom chopper builders in the country.  Died August 30, 2004 at the age of 55 in a low speed accident on one of his choppers.  He was not wearing a helmet and succum to the head injuries.  He had been riding for about 40 years.  I bet he didn't think he would crash his chopper, but it happened and he wasn't prepared.
And he would still be alive today if he had a lid on.

Who remebers Indian Larry?  One of the top custom chopper builders in the country.  Died August 30, 2004 at the age of 55 in a low speed accident on one of his choppers.  He was not wearing a helmet and succum to the head injuries.  He had been riding for about 40 years.  I bet he didn't think he would crash his chopper, but it happened and he wasn't prepared.
And he would still be alive today if he had a lid on.
maybe?

Back