Valve Adjustment Inquiry

a wonderful design it is the shim under bucket valve train...i checked alot of valves through out my years as mechanic and 9 times out of 10 there in spec..

After talking to a few seasoned mechanics about the problems I'm hearing/feeling I don't think its my valves at all.

I was told that if it was a valve it would increase through the RPMs and that I would know with the bike at idle. I would also be at a loss of performance and that is not the case. I only hear it between 2500 and 4000 RPMs.

Today I did a diagnostic test ride and now its making a chirp sound like a bad serpentine belt or something. Its only around those RPMs while cruising, not when I get on it.

Now that I'm 100% that its not the valves... Any thoughts on that?

Within a few thousand miles I still want to crack it open to check the valves and inspect what all else I can. I just talked to one of my cousins that I forgot was a mechanic. He is going to help guide me as I pull it apart. Still I have a chirping/ticking to find and handle.

By the way - I have yet to hear a Busa that doesn't make a ticking sound :) Maybe post up a video/clip of the sound? Might just be a case of "you need better ear plugs, then grip it and rip it" :laugh:

Turns out I should of opened the tank and looked a long time ago. It was just a missing rubber block that sits on the lip of the gas tank.

It was chirping/ticking because it was meeting the frame. I fixed it, got another rubber piece and put it on.

Well good thing it was just that.

Turns out I should of opened the tank and looked a long time ago. It was just a missing rubber block that sits on the lip of the gas tank.

It was chirping/ticking because it was meeting the frame. I fixed it, got another rubber piece and put it on.

Well good thing it was just that.
glade you found it....

The ticking is prolly the notorious clutch plate bolts that seem to tap the engine cover. Many GenII owners have tightened them on their own. I need to do mine. The noise goes away when the motor warms up well.

.... I know its from the engine because I can feel it in my bones. It has to be something metal tapping. A few guys told me to have my valves checked and adjusted.

It would be nice to have a walk through "how to" of this. If anyone knows of some good links or videos please DO post!

If that was your valves tapping, basically you'd have been f$%^ked a long time ago. That is exavtly what you adjust for is to avoid touching parts. If the bike can warm up to temp mp and nothing touches, you may be out of spec but the bike would run fine. No noise nothing. Nothing until the valves started burning and that would be about all she wrote. You would have a parts wreck for a bike.

All of my experience with valve adjustment was with the ZX-14. I researched it thoroughly, had online support of experienced racer mechanics and it took me at least a hundred hours. Yes I am a perfectionist but if you are not, i would not even consider trying this. It is a HUGE job and if you do it wrong you are more screwed than if you just left it. I would hate to get an engine out of time and then try to figure that mess out and hope no serious damage had happened.

You could check the clearance and that is a lot of work but then to adjust is a huge other job to do. I don't recommend unless you have plenty of time and are really into learning about how your bike works.

Here is my How To for the ZX-14 if you want to see what you are up against. Check out the first two paragraphs for info on cost, tools and work environment.

Valve Clearance Check and Adjustment

I will do a GenII busa How To in a year if you can wait that long. My busa is still at only 4K miles.

PS:

your engine actually runs quieter as the valves ware to tighter clearance. There is more mechanical noise when the valves are loose.

TOO LOOSE, you can spit a shim out and blow the motor. TOO TIGHT, the valves will weld themselves to their seats or stuff impacts and busts everything up.

Not to make this more hopeless but I have heard plenty of people claim that they are positive that there motor was never opened after they brought their bike to a shop to do a valve clearance check/adjustment. One guy taped a hair across his valve cover ....still there when he got his bike back.

If you choose to let a pro do this for you, I would suggest that you insist that he permit you to come in to see him work the feeler guages between the lifters and the cams. Tell him you want to observe this process before the adjustment tand then again after he adjusts clearance(s) (if adjustment is necessary).

Oh, SH!T you are not even concerned about your valves anymore...that will teach me to skip reading the whole thread. :alcoholic:4

Oh well, glad you have gotten much info for when the time comes to check the valve clearance.

Oh, SH!T you are not even concerned about your valves anymore...that will teach me to skip reading the whole thread. :alcoholic:4

Oh well, glad you have gotten much info for when the time comes to check the valve clearance.

The valves are not the problem, true. Its time to check my clearances anyhow. I am still going to get in there and check them sometime over the next year.

Thats a lot of straight forward great info to have. Ill be re-reading that thread again before I do it myself. Thanks.

Sure, well, keep an eye on the DoItYourself section here on the org. I will do a detailed writeup on the GenII busa within 18 months, I imagine. It probably is very similar to the ZX-14 but if you have never done this job, there will be much value in seeing pics of the busa engine instead of some other. Well, feel free to PM me if you need to. I can't call myself much more than a beginner bike mechanic but I am really into it so I know some stuff and I am always glad to help.

Over 25K Hard Ridden Street Miles including some weekends at the dragstrip. Never pulled a valve cover and dont plan on it till maybe 40K+

All GSXR's tick!

I dont know how you ride or if your the orginal owner maybe your one of those when you hear the rev limiter bounce that means shift, or maybe your one of those that thinks its cool to sit and bounce the limiter for your buddies I dunno :dunno:
If your asking then your doubting and shim valve adjustments can be challenging for the inexpierenced.

I may of bounced the rev-limiter a couple of times total in the 15k miles I have had it.

I actually got the bike in real bad condition with only a few thousand miles on it. I had to pull apart a lot of it and do quite a bit of work.

They guy I bought it from was selling repoed bikes. Some of the parts on it have scratched serial numbers. There is no telling how many miles are on my engine or what kind of condition its really in.

Mine made the ticking sound when cold and as soon as she warmed up it went away. I just replaced the plugs at 22000 miles and they were barely tight. Took no effort at all to remove them. New plugs installed and the ticking noise went away. No signs of escaping exhaust gasses around the plug or coil boots either. No change in power but it does run smoother.

It kills me, the little things that are found loose or missing from these bikes and this is straight from the factory. I had a couple missing fairing grommets. Maybe I will check my plugs.

I have had the service manual on my desktop for almost a year now. The few videos on you tube have taught me more about it than the service manual.

The answers here are not useless, just not as helpful as I was hoping for.

I think its time to get my hands dirty and figure it out one way or another.

hello friend, i just joined this site today and am reading a lot,i live in india where a superbike is seen like flying saucer surprise.i am getting a used busa next week and felt its high time i learnt about the busa.Ive seen and stored a lot basic maintenance busa vids. so guess iam prepared.So did you finally check the clearances and adjusted? sorry iam asking this real late.
thanks.

Just an update, nearing 50K hard miles and the valve cover hasn't been opened. It probably needs to be checked. I would trust John not to screw me over. Yes, I have trust issues.

I was thinking clutch bolts also, but he found the issue. Old thread, but what the heck. :laugh:

Back