20k mile maintenance

Totally different valve train between gen1 and gen2, the gen 2's have Ti valves, and very weak springs.
But to each his own.
But here is what lack of maintenance looks like on a Gen 2!
There was 40k on this motor, with only oil changes, as far i could tell, a retainer broke, due to the fact that several of the valves were tight.
i paid a mechanic to check my valves at 30k and 60k and he said he didnt have to adjust anything because they were still in spec. I wouldnt worry too much. :2cents: :beerchug:

Oh and the total cost of the repair, with a used low mileage head, was $4k

IMG_0026 (Small).JPG

I had mine checked at 15 K...rather be safe than sorry, I don't want to be in the middle of W. Virginia with no forward motion!!!! :poke: How you been Stilslo??

I had mine checked at 15 K...rather be safe than sorry, I don't want to be in the middle of W. Virginia with no forward motion!!!! :poke: How you been Stilslo??

Enjoying the weather down here when I can. Working for the DOC, a property management company, and renovating a house. My only riding for now is back and forth to work.

Invest in a technical manual from Suzuki ($75) and follow the instructions carefully. Checking the valve clearance is an easy squeezy thing to do in your garage. It's the shimming process that gets a little touchy but still doable if you follow the instruction & photos in the manual.

Checking the clearances is pretty easy with a Service Manual, youtube, and forums such as this. If you check them, find that shimming is necessary and you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself... just put everything back together and pay the dealer to do it. That way you won't have paid the money for just the clearance check.

On my 2001 CBR1100XX with 82,000 miles and my 2006 FJR1300 with 77,000 miles, the valves have never required shimming but I'm always glad that I was checking them.

Back