Valve Adjustment Inquiry

ProvorseD

Registered
My bike is rolling into 19k miles. Its started to make this light ticking noise. I know its from the engine because I can feel it in my bones. It has to be something metal tapping. A few guys told me to have my valves checked and adjusted.

I have read that I can just follow the service manual and have it done. Here is what I need to know.

Is this something I should NOT be doing?
What kind of special tools might I need?
Is there anything specific or usual that I should keep an eye out for?
Can I get some input from experienced mechanics?

It would be nice to have a walk through "how to" of this. If anyone knows of some good links or videos please DO post!

You are due, as with other Gen 2's, mostly depends on your riding style, if you baby the bike you should be good.
But if ride it like you stole it, a little more work will be involved!

I read on some other threads that they dont need the work until about 30k miles, not the recommended 16k or so.

I always ride like a beast. Im sure its just time. I need some info about it though. I can take it to my guy or do it myself.

Right now its kind of working blind if I dont get any information about how to and everything else.

37k miles on what? Sure you ride hard. Have you messed with your valves at all? Or do you pay someone else to deal with that?

I will bet you a $25.00 bottle of red wine that your valves are not out of spec.

I bet fresh oil and and filter will cure that knocking. :thumbsup:

I read on some other threads that they dont need the work until about 30k miles, not the recommended 16k or so.

I always ride like a beast. Im sure its just time. I need some info about it though. I can take it to my guy or do it myself.

Right now its kind of working blind if I dont get any information about how to and everything else.

:rofl:

I have 2950 miles on AMSOil 10W40. Ill give the oil and filter a change just because its worth trying before I tear it all apart.

Do you guys think maybe I should run something heavier? AMSOil runs so damn smooth. I love it.

I have learned a lot about the valves from youtube and the service manual but you guys have been useless as far as getting any help.

• Haha
Reactions: Zee
I have 2950 miles on AMSOil 10W40. Ill give the oil and filter a change just because its worth trying before I tear it all apart.

Do you guys think maybe I should run something heavier? AMSOil runs so damn smooth. I love it.

I have learned a lot about the valves from youtube and the service manual but you guys have been useless as far as getting any help.
how could you say every one was useless for help?? sixpack posted a link for a free service manual...

I have had the service manual on my desktop for almost a year now. The few videos on you tube have taught me more about it than the service manual.

The answers here are not useless, just not as helpful as I was hoping for.

I think its time to get my hands dirty and figure it out one way or another.

imh..if you never done this before go find a good mechanic you could trust...checkin in one thing but lets say they do need to be adjusted((witch i doubt)) watching you tube is a start but you should find a seasoned mechanic to do the job..

I have a little over 40,000 miles on my 08. Runs just as good as when I bought her new, never had a single problem with her except changing the tires when they get worn.

I have wondered thou about getting the valves checked just to be on the safe side.

If they need adjusted you will have to remove the cams. It is critical when doing the install of the cams you have the cam timing correct. When you get everything in place it can be helpful to use zip ties to secure the chain to the cams so they don't jump a tooth when tightening everything up. It's not that big of a deal.

imh..if you never done this before go find a good mechanic you could trust...checkin in one thing but lets say they do need to be adjusted((witch i doubt)) watching you tube is a start but you should find a seasoned mechanic to do the job..

Yep.
If the "how to" videos and the service manual aren't enough.
As well as being told it's unlikely that they are out of spec.
I don't know what else you could possibly be told or shown about adjusting valves.
Other than having someone walk you through it in person...which on the internet...would be a video.
Go figure.

I have had the service manual on my desktop for almost a year now. The few videos on you tube have taught me more about it than the service manual.

The answers here are not useless, just not as helpful as I was hoping for.

I think its time to get my hands dirty and figure it out one way or another.

Sounds like it.
Read the manual and get it done.
If you get stuck, I guess you're off to the shop.

I have 65k hard miles on mine. Checked the valves at 15k and 45k and they were in spec. Need to check them again soon :) But I suspect they will be in spec.

37k miles on what? Sure you ride hard. Have you messed with your valves at all? Or do you pay someone else to deal with that?

Pretty hard. no ones been in it, but I'm think it's time to have them checked anyway. John just checked a 2000 at the fall bash that was in spec. I don't know how many miles Doug has on his bike.

Back