Valve chatter on new K8

Lunar Busa

Registered
I just bought a K8. I have noticed with more milage I put on the bike the valves seem to make more ticking noise. The noise does it in all rpm's, keep in mind I only have 300 miles on the bike. I was wanting to know does anyone else's K8 does the same or do I have a problem??? I had a 01 Hayabusa that did the same even after I had the valves tuned. Maybe its the so called "Suzuki Clunk"??? I thank you guys for your wisdom and input.

Picture 147.jpg

I have 1200 miles and noticed a slight tick myself. I never hear it because of the helmet but was pulling it out of the garage and noticed it with the helmet off. Still runs like someone kicked it in the ass so I'm not gonna worry about it!!! My CBR 1000RR did the same thing and it ran great as well.

I was noticing this as well. I just did my 4k mile maintenance and the tech noticed my chain was loose. Said my valves looked good, so he didn't think it was those, but when he tightened the chain my noise got quieter maybe gone, but can't hear it too well with the helmet on.

I will try to give it some runs, just had the maintenance done yesterday. See if I can hear it still, or if it just needed some tuning and loving.

LOL that is the first thing the tech told me when I bought mine. He said if you have not owned a busa in the past it is noisy! It did quite down some when the break in was done.

I got your noisy right here!:laugh:
I call this pic bling-ga-ding-ding-ding!

duc1.jpg

I have heard they all do it when you first start them up, mines the same way. I'm not to worried about it, My old 97 DR350 did it also with the dry sump system.

valve train noise is not a good thing... no reason it should be making valve noise unless you have one or more out of spec.. I have 25K on a Gen1 and not a peep out of the valve train..

The Gen2's I have listened to at the track (maybe a couple dozen or more) have all be quiet.. (at least on the valve train side)

IF it is valve noise (excessive clearance) I would have it fixed under warranty as it is a pain the the tail to do for most DIY's.. only good thing is retarded valve timing can give a very small increase in top end power (at the expense of lower end power)

just my opin...

valve train noise is not a good thing... no reason it should be making valve noise unless you have one or more out of spec.. I have 25K on a Gen1 and not a peep out of the valve train..

The Gen2's I have listened to at the track (maybe a couple dozen or more) have all be quiet.. (at least on the valve train side)

IF it is valve noise (excessive clearance) I would have it fixed under warranty as it is a pain the the tail to do for most DIY's.. only good thing is retarded valve timing can give a very small increase in top end power (at the expense of lower end power)

just my opin...

dealer will not touch my valves! no way...:devil:

yep mine does it as well, i just let it warm up good before i get on it and ride it and it goes away as soon as i ride it, i have a quad that is new and its very noise as well, some engines are just that way.

Back