2013 1340busa slight tick at 300 miles

ncyellowbusa

Registered
I have a new(2 week old) 2013 busa that just turned 300 miles....... it has a set of voodoo slip-on shorty mufflers and even over the noise of the exhaust I can hear a tick that sounds like either a slight exhaust leak at the head or possibly a little valve noise. Is anyone else hearing this too?? Or should I take it back to get checked out?? Also hearing a bit of rasp that kinda sounds like maybe a valve isnt closing/sealing completely. Any input would be greatly appreachiated

My 2012 with 4000 miles on it has made that noise you describe from new. I know exactly what you are talking about. A little tink, tink, tink sound coming from the top end. I was a bit worried about it as well. Did a search and found from other riders that this is very normal. Just ride it like you stole it!

Well, none of us are there, so basically it's on you. The bike is under warranty. My '08 has ticked from day one over 50K miles. It seems to go away as soon as the bike gets warm.

Thanks guys...... doesn't really sound like a bug deal to me but nice to know everyone else's does it too. Seems like my 04 had a tick too but pretty sure it had a small exhause leak from the header dragging :-)

I took my original pipes off and replaced with Microns, and the tick was quite audible. The tick wasn't there with the standard pipes on..... It didn't appear to be coming from the top, but perhaps thought it might be a valve or something in the cat. Since I don't think there are any moving bits in there I wasn't sure where it was coming from. The other thing I thought, maybe it was the PAIR reed valves on top of the rocker cover.... It doesn't worry me, but would prefer if it wasn't there....

I noticed it a lot worse when I put the shorty mufflers on. It now sounds louder but clears up when it revs...... dunno, gonna ride it and not worry for now:-)

Its probably those crappy Doodoo slip on exhausts your running. No offense but all they are is an autozone exhaust tip with an aluminum clamp..... 1 size pretty much fits all so yeah im betting that there probably is an exhaust leak.

Like you stated in a previous post the noise worsened after you put them on

If you do a search you will see it's pretty normal. At your first dealer check up they check your exhaust header bolts and a few other things. You may want to do that yourself. Also check your spark plugs cause they can loosen up on a gen 2. Otherwise, if it mostly goes away when warm, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have that sound on my new Busa.
Sounds like exhaust manifold bolts are broken but the bike is brand new, just turned over 300 miles.
As soon as it warms up p, all I hear and feel that clutch noise.
600 mile service and I will tell them to check it.
Ticking sound is gone after bike warms up and if I rev it a little so the oil will go up at e valves.

As of today when I parked her, she has almost 1500 miles on her...... I now have the factory header with a straight pipe through the cats and the cats gutted, and chrome straight tips as opposed to the voodoo's. I've had the ECM flashed and a little cleanup work in the map and she's making 171hp to the tire as opposed to the 163hp to the tire completely stock. Buuuut........ It still has that tick in the exhaust tone. Kinda sounds like the raspy tick you hear when you take the mufflers off of a stock cam small block Chevy. I've learned to live with it until I can afford a new alien head :-)
My bud has a 2011 model with the factory mufflers removed and straigh out behind the cats and he swears the pair/reed mod fixed his tick. Gonna try that tomorrow and see of it fixes it

My 2013 is stock standard, just over 10,000 kms. Yep it ticks slightly when cold, but once I head off it's all good.

I think that mine has the same issue from day 1, but I try not to pay attention, it does not seem that will give me any future problems.. However, I will buy the extended guaranteed pretty soon because you never know...My other baby does not have that issue

Back