V-rod owners

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I find the V-rod kinda interesting, as far as they go...I think this one kicks butt

07hdvrscdx.jpg

However, the ones I sit on with the foreward pegs seem to be really weird ergos for me. Don't see how people ride that way...of course, I thought that way about sport bikes until I started tooling around on my sons YZF. And now, I love my Busa like no other machine in history.

So, my question is...on V-rods with the foreward peg position...how does it ride, is something you just get used to and how about long distance and of course...getting on it hard? Seems like your weight leaning the wrong way.

Inquiring minds want to know.

View attachment 1602949

View attachment 1602950

I really like the V-Rod, Night Rod.  The only thing I found with it was that, your feet had a tendancy to blow off the pegs when you got a good clip going.  The warrior and those bikes won't touch it, and with the right rider, it'll smoke a V-Max.  I've ridden them all.  My 2 cents.

super.gif

it is a more natural riding postion,as say a sitting postion very easy to ride, i changed my front pegs to have small stririups.. all so changed the seat to a sundowner which gives a wider base for your rump. i like the vrod design .

I have a V-rod Street-Rod. Seat is only good for 60 miles. This would compare to a 550+ mile day on the Busa. Been back to the dealership 3 times and will be going back for the 4th soon. Piece of $hit!!!!

If you want a power cruiser go with the Triumph Rocket 3.

I can say with 100% conviction, I will NEVER own another HD product as long as I live.

Later,

Steve

I have ridden the forward control version and it seemed fine to me. I never rode it more than 40 miles at a time so I cannot be a good judge for long distance comfort.

i put around 500 miles on mine in one day, i was tired at the end of the day, but the ride was comfortable, again i had the sundowner seat which was a100 percent improvement over the stock brick seat.

(zoomsplat @ Sep. 27 2006,23:24) I really like the V-Rod, Night Rod.  The only thing I found with it was that, your feet had a tendancy to blow off the pegs when you got a good clip going.  The warrior and those bikes won't touch it, and with the right rider, it'll smoke a V-Max.  I've ridden them all.  My 2 cents.

super.gif
With forward controls try hooking the toes of your boots under the shift & brake lever when your at high speed to keep your feet on the pegs.

The thing I dislike most about forward controls is that you cannot stand up on the pegs when going over rough roads. I can pull my butt off the seat using the bars for one bump at a time.

As far as fast goes, there was a shoot out in '02 matching the Warrior, V-ROD & Meanstreak. The Warrior came out on top.

As far as the V MAX goes, its a 10 second bike off the showroom floor. I'm going to need to see some proof that the V Rod is that quick.

I also own a Warrior & traded a V MAX in for my Busa so I do have a bit of history with those bikes.

i almost got a vrod vs the busa.  But that sticker was a bit hard to swallow. I was trading in a HD sporty with forward controls and honestly its pretty comfortable.  I have been on the Vrod and those seem a bit far though (short inseam, reason busa is lowered
tounge.gif
)... As far as speed i believe the Vrod is in the 12+ sec in the 1/4.

(glad i got the Busa  
firedevil.gif
)

I feel out of control with my feet ahead of my hands as on most V-Rods, but the Street Rod version with its rear-mounted pegs is much better. I've never put many miles on either version, but I did road-test a "B" model in 2004 and did not like the riding position.

They are gorgeous bikes but they're also way too pricey, uncomfortable and very primitive. The forks are full of stiction, the levers require owners to use one of those grip exercising gizmos when not riding and every control is just a lot bigger than it has too be. And the twin turn signal switches take some getting used to.

Ed

I really liked riding the V Rod, very comfy position and had way more power than any HD I had ever riden. It tipped in real nice but I was allways scrapping the pegs. I was trying to turn it into a long distance tourer and even with the windshield, bags and extra gas tank ( fuel light would come on at about 75 miles with only a 3 gal tank. ) it just wasnt going to work. The wind blast makes it hard to hang on over about 70 mph. But over all I would buy one again if I had the $ and space.

vrod_038b.jpg

Stock Seat Blows, They are more concerned about LOOK that function as usual.

BUT, I have only ridden one for a a couple dozen miles. I do really like the Nightrod though. I love the pictures up top this is just a Nightrod attempting to go through the corners. Get yourself a StreetRod Night Or Whatever the hell they are calling it. It has both Highway pegs and pegs where they should be.

(Churchkey @ Sep. 28 2006,07:17)
(zoomsplat @ Sep. 27 2006,23:24) I really like the V-Rod, Night Rod.  The only thing I found with it was that, your feet had a tendancy to blow off the pegs when you got a good clip going.  The warrior and those bikes won't touch it, and with the right rider, it'll smoke a V-Max.  I've ridden them all.  My 2 cents.

super.gif
With forward controls try hooking the toes of your boots under the shift & brake lever when your at high speed to keep your feet on the pegs.

The thing I dislike most about forward controls is that you cannot stand up on the pegs when going over rough roads. I can pull my butt off the seat using the bars for one bump at a time.

As far as fast goes, there was a shoot out in '02 matching the Warrior, V-ROD & Meanstreak. The Warrior came out on top.

As far as the V MAX goes, its a 10 second bike off the showroom floor. I'm going to need to see some proof that the V Rod is that quick.

I also own a Warrior & traded a V MAX in for my Busa so I do have a bit of history with those  bikes.
I have ridden a few hundred miles on a V-Rod. I think it is an awesome bike. The riding position is good - typical cruiser. I don't notice a nickels worth of difference between it and my 03 Nighttrain (now sold). Forward controls are just sort of a necessary evil in the cruiser world - although I agree about not being able to get off the seat for bumps.

The V-Rod is night and day faster than a Warrior, Meanstreak, or VTX18. Not even remotely close at all - that's pretty much common knowledge I thought.

As far as it versus the Max: CycleWorld did a test of an 02 V-Rod vs an 86 V-Max (the fast one - the newer ones are detuned). The Rod won by a tenth - so they are pretty much equal.

Also - neither bike runs tens - more like low 11's.

yes as far as cruisers go the vrod is second only to the vmax all the others listed were beaten by the vrod. when i had mine i ran against a meanstreak and won with no problem. the vrod turns good hp for a cruiser, again more than any other than the vmax, now the torque is what is killer on the vrod, that makes it get gone.

I like the standard nightrod with the dual foot controls but the nightrod special rocks...except you only get the one foot position (out front).

Hmmm....I think I'll try to ride one at Biketoberfest. Want to ride a Fatboy, V-rod, Vstar 1300, maybe even a zx14 depending on how long the lines are for demo rides.

Heck I may spend all day just standing in line and riding different stuff.  
biggrin.gif
 Hope I can swing Thursday off, I'm sure it'll be less crowded on thur. than Sat/Sun.

(zoomsplat @ Sep. 27 2006,23:24)
I really like the V-Rod, Night Rod.  The only thing I found with it was that, your feet had a tendancy to blow off the pegs when you got a good clip going.  The warrior and those bikes won't touch it, and with the right rider, it'll smoke a V-Max.  I've ridden them all.  My 2 cents.

I also own a Warrior & traded a V MAX in for my Busa so I do have a bit of history with those  bikes.
[/Quote]

Yeah, same here
wink.gif
.  I worked at a Harley Davidson/Suzuki dealership when they came out, and I've been at 2 Yamaha dealerships since, which is where I'm employed now.  I sold my V-Max to get my Busa.  I guess we've all got our opinions on this stuff.  I'm not knockin' any of the bikes, I just liked the V-Rod over the other 2, but none of them compare to the Busa, as far as I'm concerned.  This is the longest time I've owned the same bike.
biggrin.gif

cool.gif
 I also can't even think of getting rid of it.
cool.gif

beerchug.gif

cool.gif

The V-Rod is okay, but I'll stick with my Hammer.  I prefer the 100 cid engine, 6 speed tranny and a 250 back tire from the factory.  Oh yeah, forgot and the fact that it's not a Harley is one of the reasons I looked at Victory in the first place.

bike4.jpg

Of all the HD's, the V-Rod is the best I guess, but I couldn't do the Hogley-Ferguson thing, no way. A co-worker friend of mine bought a brand new $30K HD Beast last year ($5K just in chrome). On first long ride with less that 1,000 miles on it, he had to have it towed because of a major oil leak. $30K.... that's 3 Busa's!
SHOCKED.gif

Back